Face control. When the club fits the users swing and allows the face to square properly, strikes see more speed than that with an inconsistent, open, or closed face at impact.

Thanks @Jman! You're the man!

Knew this was coming, it only made sense that the wedge idea could be applied to an iron. These are so hott! I absolutely love them and I think they'd play so good. They're probably a snidge hard for me to hit and they are quite pricey, but will be a definite contender for me in the future. I just love everything about the release.

So excited we can finally talk about these!! More detailed feedback coming but first impressions.

The irons look and feel just as good as the wedges. I don’t know how Edel does it but the irons just stand out as soon as you see them and they are love from first contact.

As a high handicap (18) with very inconsistent ball striking I was a bit nervous about moving to a players distance profile from my GIs. I found out pretty quickly that these are incredibly forgiving and easier to hit than my current GIs. My second shot was off the toe and I watched in awe is it maintained almost all of the distance and ball flight of a flushed shot. I looked at @JB and told him I couldn’t believe how much forgiveness they got into that profile of iron. Within a few swings it was pretty clear these were not only going to be an easy transition for a high cap but would be an improvement in forgiveness from my GIs on top of every other benefit. The size is not at all intimidating and really fit my eye.

I can’t wait to get some more detailed feedback for the other high caps out there but these are the irons I have been dreaming about.

Face control. When the club fits the users swing and allows the face to square properly, strikes see more speed than that with an inconsistent, open, or closed face at impact.
I’m a great example of how much the weight can help with face control. My miss is left and I learned at my wedge fitting that I close the face every time at impact which causes a hook with my draw path. Moving the weight to the toe helps me square the face without having to make any swing changes and was an instant improvement. As mentioned it not only eliminated the hook but my sweeping draw went to a nice controlled baby draw with added distance.

With irons being even harder to hit I thing the adjustable weight is going to be a game changer.

Thanks, @Jman! I'm really intrigued by the adjustability of the irons. The innovation in the irons (wedges and putters, too) generating that kind of speed improvement should catch a lot of eyes.

Great write up @Jman! I really like how Edel is catering to the individual golf player. I'm assuming here, that the best way to get dialed in with these clubs is through a fitting. I defintely see the advantages of the SMS, but by the same token it could be a problem for someone who isn't #lunaticfringe.
Although a fitting would be ideal to get dialed in, the data showed that even in the worst position nearly everyone saw gains.

With the wedges, at my fitting I could feel woth out a doubt the position that was not good for me. I felt I was fighting the club. The other 2 felt good and were pretty similar to each other one just had slightly better spin numbers. That being said just by feel alone you would probably be able to eliminate one spot, possibly two.

Although a fitting would be ideal to get dialed in, the data showed that even in the worst position nearly everyone saw gains.

With the wedges, at my fitting I could feel woth out a doubt the position that was not good for me. I felt I was fighting the club. The other 2 felt good and were pretty similar to each other one just had slightly better spin numbers. That being said just by feel alone you would probably be able to eliminate one spot, possibly two.

Thank you for sharing @Datkison! Great info here!

@Koske explained like putting weight on a hinged door. More weight by the handle - easier to close. More weight by the hinge (pivot point) - harder to close.
Think you have that backwards.

Fun day!! Love hearing the feedback from the guys that were at the Quest Cup and that the adjustability had some big improvements for a couple. I still love the idea of being able to change things around as a player changes with the SMS system. Feel like that helps with a tiny bit of the cost concerns. Hopefully some others can get a chance to experience them soon!

Its kind of amazing this hasn't been done before. I love the look of the iron and it all just makes sense! Who wouldn't want 3mph more ball speed. A little on the higher side of price for irons may deter some I would guess but I'd love to give these a shot someday.

Its kind of amazing this hasn't been done before. I love the look of the iron and it all just makes sense! Who wouldn't want 3mph more ball speed. A little on the higher side of price for irons may deter some I would guess but I'd love to give these a shot someday.

Yep, agreed!

Are the weight settings as obvious as I think? Weight in toe closes faster (draw), weight in heel closes slower (fade)?
No its actually the opposite. My miss is right because I DON'T close the face enough. Throwing the weight in the heel helps to do that and straighten my shots out.

Edit spelling

Last edited:
I’m a great example of how much the weight can help with face control. My miss is left and I learned at my wedge fitting that I close the face every time at impact which causes a hook with my draw path. Moving the weight to the toe helps me square the face without having to make any swing changes and was an instant improvement. As mentioned it not only eliminated the hook but my sweeping draw went to a nice controlled baby draw with added distance.

With irons being even harder to hit I thing the adjustable weight is going to be a game changer.
It will be cool to see how much distance you will gain from these irons.

That is a classy looking head.
I played another iron head, with moveable weights, and the Edel's look is much better, IMO. They really did well.

What were the weight configurations of the people that tested them at the event?

ok, here we go, the day we've been waiting for. First, let me say that these irons feel absolutely amazing. I play Mizuno MP20 MMC and these felt every bit as soft, maybe even softer. Just so buttery! Sadly we were stuck hitting from mats so we didn't get to feel turf interaction, but I can't imagine it being anything but great. The soles weren't very thick for players distance irons, probably pretty similar to this years Forged tech. Top line wasn't huge and didn't bother my eye at all. We were able to hit demo irons in 4, 7, and PW and they all felt amazing. I'll admit I did tinker with the weights a little and you can definitely feel a difference, just like in the wedges. I can't wait to get them in hand and find the right spot for me.

Now, lets talk gains :cool: I posted these pictures in the quest cup thread, but this seems like a good time to post them again.
With my Mizuno 7i, Modus 120s shaft
1655218902431.png

Demo 7i with Modus 120R shaft and weight in the toe. Not a shabby gain at all. Hit a little push with this. Usually when I get that little push cut I also lose distance. Here I gained distance and almost 1500 spin!
1655218944243.png

And finally (get ready to have your mind blown!
With @Koske personal set (He was so generous to let us lunatics hit his personal clubs) MMT95 shaft, weight in the heel. I hit a little pull with this shot, which does tend to travel a little further. 17 yard gain and over 500 more spin! That is nuts!
1655219174180.png

Needless to say I'm just a little excited to put these in the bag as soon as possible!

scratch this question. Went to website and answered it.

Good looking head that is filled to the gills with tech.

Finally can talk about them. I just rolled out of bed and had time to read the great article by @Jman and catch up with this thread.

First thing to say is that I didn’t get much time with them, so I don’t have any numbers to give anyone yet. We were hitting off mats, but we were hitting our own irons off mats as well. The feel and sound was outstanding and an improvement over my current irons. The profile was a touch smaller than my king forged tec. The shafts in @Koske clubs felt fantastic. I hit my current 7i and this SMS 7i and fell in love with this one. Nice high ball flight and better feel (with range balls). I won’t swear that it went longer, but I think it did. This was without messing with the weight at all in any of the irons.

I hit the PW well, but it will take some adjustment for me to go from my current PW that is the length of a 7i to this one. I am having the same transition with my new SMS 50 degree wedge compared to my GW that is longer due to being one length.

the highlight for me was the 4i. I struggle currently at that spot in the bag. I have not been hitting my single length 4i very well and was about to get a hybrid when picked for this event. I loved the sound/feel of the SMS 4i and it was higher and longer than my current 4i. Huge difference when swinging my 4i side by side with this one.

these irons have so many possibilities. Just looking above at my own feedback, I wonder if maybe the weight in the 4i was perfect for me and maybe the PW or 7i would have been better in a different slot? There is nothing here that wouldn’t let me have weight in the toe of the 4i and center/heel in the PW.

I think a fitting would really help with these, but I also think just some time on the range with them will help you decide where to put the weight.

one thing that can’t be emphasized enough is that they are not strong lofted and they are still getting more ball speed and distance in the hands of golfers. The SMS 7i is 32 degrees and my current is 29.5 degrees. When in the robot hands, these irons were not longer than some of their competitors due to the loft difference, but in the hands of golfers with the ability to change the weights, they were longer and more accurate for 96% of testers. Personally, that leads me to believe the weight adjustability works great!

would love to see these in hand. The shape is really good. I am curious to see the footprint and size compared to something else. Are these a hollow iron?
They are a hollow iron that feel great. Very similar profile to the Apex or P790

So initial thoughts coming. First of all this is exactly what I thought we were going to get before we had been given any info so I must be a genius 😁. With that in mind don't believe everything I say as I most likely don't know what I'm talking about.

As @Nerdy_81 said, pictures do not do these irons justice. My first impression upon seeing pictures was, not ecstatic. In hand, Holy Schnikes Batman these things are beautiful. Don't get me wrong I wasn't ever not looking forward to getting them but as soon as I saw them my desire to get my set in the bag intensified 100 fold.

I hit @Koske clubs with graphite shaft and the Modus 120. @Koskes felt really good. The steel shaft was heavier than what I'm used to and I didn't hit it as well. They feel very similar to the way I describe the wedges, soft yet crisp.

@ryang13 mentioned the adjustability for a changing swing. I'm in the same boat, working on improving my swing so being able to change things up as I get better makes me think these will be in the bag for a long time.

What were the weight configurations of the people that tested them at the event?
I played most shots in center. I really expected to have to move 4 iron weight to heel. It preformed perfect for me in center.

Wouldn’t it be the opposite? With drivers, weight in the heel promotes a draw bias. I think that weight out towards the toe causes the face to close more slowly.

I would guess that the positioning of the weights also may depend on where you tend to strike the ball on the face. I tend to be more towards the heel. Thus, more weight in the heel area could help me with that miss.
You're right. I read it backwards. Heel generally promotes a draw, toe a fade

Back