Are the weight settings as obvious as I think? Weight in toe closes faster (draw), weight in heel closes slower (fade)?
I believe it is the opposite.. heavy weight in the heel provides a draw bias

How is turf interaction with these?
Unfortunately the day we took these to the range it had rained and we were on the mats so did not get to feel what they were like on the grass.

Are the weight settings as obvious as I think? Weight in toe closes faster (draw), weight in heel closes slower (fade)?
It’s same as with driver, weight in heel is draw, toe is fade.

Nice looking irons!

Great write up @Jman. Cant wait to hear the feedback from THPers who received these. It's definitely a premium price, but looks like a premium product. Interested to hear how these work for mid to high handicappers, that and finding a fitter close by that could really dial these in could be a challenge
Mid to high handicapper here. One of the things that impressed me about these irons, and the Edel gear in general was the impression of not just a fit for right now, but into the future as well. I am in the process of lessons, and my swing continues to change. If I have an iron that can continue to adapt alongside me, that’s a huge positive for me. Very excited to get some more time with these and see how they affect things not just this year, but into the future as I continue to grow as a player.

Mid to high handicapper here. One of the things that impressed me about these irons, and the Edel gear in general was the impression of not just a fit for right now, but into the future as well. I am in the process of lessons, and my swing continues to change. If I have an iron that can continue to adapt alongside me, that’s a huge positive for me. Very excited to get some more time with these and see how they affect things not just this year, but into the future as I continue to grow as a player.
Great point.

Wouldn’t it be the opposite? With drivers, weight in the heel promotes a draw bias. I think that weight out towards the toe causes the face to close more slowly.

I would guess that the positioning of the weights also may depend on where you tend to strike the ball on the face. I tend to be more towards the heel. Thus, more weight in the heel area could help me with that miss.
@Koske explained like putting weight on a hinged door. More weight by the handle - easier to close. More weight by the hinge (pivot point) - harder to close.

No just the opposite. Weight in heel closes faster toe slower.

Great review as always @Jman! Those are good looking irons and being able to dial in the weights where you need them is really awesome. I am looking forward to The Quest cup participants feedback. I hope to take some swings with them someday.

@Koske explained like putting weight on a hinged door. More weight by the handle - easier to close. More weight by the hinge (pivot point) - harder to close.

that's opposite of drivers then. :unsure:

I like reading this!

Awesome article @Jman!

These look and sound like absolute 🔥. The overall idea of tuning an iron set to match your swing w/ the weights is fantastic.

Very jealous of the Edel Quest Cup participants right now!!

Awesome article @Jman!

These look and sound like absolute 🔥. The overall idea of tuning an iron set to match your swing w/ the weights is fantastic.

Very jealous of the Edel Quest Cup participants right now!!

Lead tape also works but is not as pretty or sufficiently heavy. ;)

I like the idea. I hit it towards the heel a little too much - but working towards the center more.

The price is Ping i59 territory. But I bet the shaft options are better.

And this is why I don't post right as soon as I wake up. Thanks for correcting my error. It is odd to there is no mention of what the weights do on the website. I understand the need for fitting and you probably don't want to change once you get them fit but they are movable.

Lead tape also works but is not as pretty or sufficiently heavy. ;)

I like the idea. I hit it towards the heel a little too much - but working towards the center more.

The price is Ping i59 territory. But I bet the shaft options are better.

For sure.. the article does mention some shaft upgrades at no additional charge.

I like reading this!

I think the idea is you put the weight in the back of your miss. If your miss varies, then voila, move the heavier weight. The swing weight options with various weights is also nice.

I think the idea is you put the weight in the back of your miss. If your miss varies, then voila, move the heavier weight. The swing weight options with various weights is also nice.

Good call!

that ball speed difference based on proper weighting is killer.

I like reading this!
It's something that's definitely intrigued me. I got a similar feeling about these and the SMS wedges that @Jman talked about in the Edel fitting thread. This is a company that cares about putting golfers in equipment that works.

" This brings the great conversation point, if you’re fit to a putter that you’ve seen in fitting and on course works better than anything you’ve rolled before for hitting your chosen line….are you still hunting for putters?

It's something that's definitely intrigued me. I got a similar feeling about these and the SMS wedges that @Jman talked about in the Edel fitting thread. This is a company that cares about putting golfers in equipment that works.

" This brings the great conversation point, if you’re fit to a putter that you’ve seen in fitting and on course works better than anything you’ve rolled before for hitting your chosen line….are you still hunting for putters?

The answer to your quote should be....

No....

Really digging these and their adjustability! My last set wasn't to my desired SW so I started messing with lead tape. Different weights and different positions on the head. It matched up exactly to what has been said in the article! Great job James!

May seem trivial, but for me coming in at D2 and being able to tweek the SW is cool! Not to mention so easy!

Looking forward to the guys feedback and the tinkering that will be going on.

These irons had a real solid, pleasing feel at the Quest Cup (4i and 7i). I can't wait to spend time tinkering with the weights. That said, my wedges came with the heavier weight in the middle. I like the result so much I haven't bothered to move it around. Solid and dead straight compared to my old wedges which I constantly yanked left.

Is it because the swing speed increases, or the smash factor gets higher, or both?
Face control. When the club fits the users swing and allows the face to square properly, strikes see more speed than that with an inconsistent, open, or closed face at impact.

Back