Callaway JAWS Raw Wedges

It’s in the article from @Jman
Yesssssirrrrr! I knew people would want to know that one! And man, talk about an impressive number :oops:

Yesssssirrrrr! I knew people would want to know that one! And man, talk about an impressive number :oops:
I read it this morning in my stupor. I’ll reread it now that I’m wide awake 😀

Great write up. I love the look of them and the black finish is perfect. Was thinking my next wedges were going to be Vokey SM9s but that may have changed.

30% is a massive jump in the golf world. I never tried the MD5s but these are very high on the list.

I know these have more tech than just the raw face built in, but I've never played a raw uncoated wedge before. The people that have, can you notice a difference in spin performance?
Adding to this. For past raw wedges, has the claim been that rust will add spin? Whereas here Callaway is going raw to maintain as sharp a groove edge as possible.

Great write up. 17 different combinations should cover just about anyone. And I'm super intrigued by the tri level sole design for the Z grind. I come fairly steep so anything that can help me with contact there is something I need to try out!

Great write up as always @Jman. I can't even imagine how good these must be. The JAWS Full Toe Raw I bought this spring are far and away the best wedges I've ever played. To think they made large improvements to that is 🤯

Adding to this. For past raw wedges, has the claim been that rust will add spin? Whereas here Callaway is going raw to maintain as sharp a groove edge as possible.
No, that’s never been a claim, it’s and internet folklore thing. Rust itself will not add spin, but the removal of plating on the grooves, can.

No, that’s never been a claim, it’s and internet folklore thing. Rust itself will not add spin, but the removal of plating on the grooves, can.
Always thought if it was on the internet it was true :p
Thanks, it definitely makes sense when looking at plating thicknesses and how precise the groove edges are.

I'll be very interested in a 48° or 50°. Will be in the market (just cannot get along with any set's GW, it seems).

I play the Full-Toes and understand why the grooves wouldn't be made for a GW, but I wish they made one in that model with a standard face, then. Really, really enjoy playing my 54° and 58° FT so maybe the JAWS Raw will offer some similarity/familiarity as sort of a natural transition to GW.

Really love this picture that shows the groove-in-groove micro-grooves. This may be a dumb question. Do the micro-grooves extend into the main grooves so that there is little micro-peaks along the main groove edge?
7E200F55-5E84-4DD1-A935-F9A220DD154A.jpeg

Great, in-depth write-up @Jman. I like what they did with the grind adjustments (C to Z). And the black is straight fire visually.

Great, in-depth write-up @Jman. I like what they did with the grind adjustments (C to Z). And the black is straight fire visually.
Agreed, eliminating the C is smart, especially if it can be done with a sole that keeps that’s versatility but actually makes it playable for most average golfers without digging to the other side of the globe.

Oh my… the hosel change + tungsten weighting is very interesting. Love the raw! Not sure about the black, but the chrome looks like it’s 🔥 the Z grind is interesting too. Just when I thought I was set with my set…

Just what I need another wedge.

30% is a massive jump in the golf world. I never tried the MD5s but these are very high on the list.
Yeah 30% is an insane number if you think about it. 300 more rpm per 1000 from MD5 😳 Wonder what the gains are in dry conditions.

Last edited:
These look great. May have to try that Z grind.

Very nice article, well done! Wonder if the Mack Daddy wedges will drop in price soon now.

Back