Callaway Rogue ST MAX Fairways

Did you go with the same shaft in your driver? I'm one tinker away from pulling the trigger on this one.
My driver came with the stock Tensei and early in the year in the colder weather and when I didn't have a good driver swing going it performed well. Recently I put my Ventus Blue 5S VeloCore shaft in the driver and it for me it is better in every way by a lot. I have the stock Tensei 65S in the three wood and I really like it. Super smooth, excellent dispersion and very good distance , everything I was hoping I would get with it. I will leave that shaft in. I use this 3 wood exclusively off the turf because I like the driver so much I use it every chance I get.

My driver came with the stock Tensei and early in the year in the colder weather and when I didn't have a good driver swing going it performed well. Recently I put my Ventus Blue 5S VeloCore shaft in the driver and it for me it is better in every way by a lot. I have the stock Tensei 65S in the three wood and I really like it. Super smooth, excellent dispersion and very good distance , everything I was hoping I would get with it. I will leave that shaft in. I use this 3 wood exclusively off the turf because I like the driver so much I use it every chance I get.

Nice. I saw that the 150% trade in was still available so I grabbed one. I thought the Blue was the best option as well, though I did grab a 75g. I imagine this will be used mostly off the deck for me, for the same reason you mention. Haven't had a 3W in the bag for a year or so, but just haven't found any hybrids that work in that loft range. I'd love to have an off the deck option that I can stretch out a bit for longer par 5s.

The Max 3HL is long. Really long. I'm learning that I actually like shallow faced woods more too.

So I tested a Heaven wood at the range yesterday and uh… all I can say is, wow 😯. Interestingly enough, it had a fifty gram Cypher shaft in it and felt pretty good.

Toying with adding a seven and 9 wood to the bag instead of long irons and the Heaven wood may have just found a spot.

The 5w continues to be an absolute rocket launcher. Able to send the ball up high and far which is great on Par 5’s for second shots in. Have so much faith in it to perform the way I expect it to is such a great feeling to have standing over the ball. Looks are another great point get so many compliments on how the matte finish looks at address will have a hard time ever using another wood without it.

Another bright spot on these as well as all the Callaway woods I’ve found is the face finish. Doesn’t show wear nearly as much as the Mizuno’s from last year did.

Im thinking about bringing a FW Wood back into my bag and grabbing a 7 wood from the ST line. For those that have it, how is the initial launch?

Love my Rogue Max Heavenwood. I took my original Rogue Heavenwood out of the bag when I had a long game fitting at Club Champion. I struggled with the TaylorMade 3 hybrid that I was fitted into but really liked the 4 Hybrid and the Callaway Epic Max 3 wood. After seeing the new Rogue I ordered the 3HL into the same shaft specs, Ventus Blue Velacore at 44”, and the Heavenwood with the same shaft but at 43.5” long. What a great expensive gamble! I can’t say how much I love them. I’m so consistent with both and I recently ordered the 9 wood with a Ventus Blue but not the Velacore version. I hope the 9 wood is just as good. Their is nothing like pulling out the the Heavenwood and dropping a ball into a green.

Another weekend with the Rogue Max ST standard 3 wood. Played in a scramble today and got to use it a few extra times. Everything about it works. Was going to keep the Epic Max 3 wood but had a gift certificate and trade so i did it hoping it would be an upgrade but wasnt sure. For me it feels better . More powerful and longer. Seems much more forgiving as well as i seem to have eliminated the occasional right push. Thought about going with the D version but went standard and well struck shots get a soft draw. Happy with this club.

The feel off the face of the fairways is probably my favorite thing about these. A perfect loud crack. Not a ting, not a thud but a crack like a bat. And when you connect, there really isn't a better feeling. I only hit them four times a round but every time I pull it, I get excited for that feeling/sound

Recently benched my 3w in favor of ONLY my 5w. So regularly, there are only three shots a round that I would NORMALLY (I've used it when I mishit off the tee before on occasion) take with my 3w and two out of three of those would be tops, chunks or thins and I've put myself in bad spots. Those shots rarely happen with my 5w so I thought I'd try and use only my 5 and see how I do. I haven't bogeyed a hole that I would normally use my 3w in four rounds.

Crazy thing is, and I mentioned it before, I'm hitting my 5w just as far as I would need my 3w to go. I haven't seemed to be able to unlock the 3 but my goodness the 5w is two clubs in one for me currently with the distance and consistency I'm getting with it.

I've had success with woods before and was even willing to die on a hill that my Nike Vapor Flex 5w was the best fairway I've ever hit. Not anymore, that title is easily given to the Rogue ST Max 5w. I even put my driver away and hit purely the 5w on five holes before I left the course last weekend. 5/5 fairways. It's great to have a club in the bag that I trust completely to fall back on when I need it.

Distance of a 3w with accuracy of a 5w. I'm loving what I'm seeing so far

I'm still going to work on my 3w but for now I'm all aboard the one fw train. And that's huge for me since I've had two fairways since I started playing.

Nice to have a go to shot when you need it!

When I am on with my swing these are just incredible. They are absolute bombers. I have had more sucess off the deck than the tee lately though Lol.
When I am not an idiot and forget how to swing, I love hitting the MaxD! I have it 3-4 times a round off the tee.

I didn’t play over the weekend so I’m looking back at my last few rounds and the Rogue ST LS 3 wood definitely stands out. This club is so easy to hit I’m comfortable using it from just about all but the thickest rough. My ability to be confident that I’m not going to turn the ball over to the left is becoming more and more of an asset as the season goes on, allowing me to be more aggressive with the 3 wood (which is insane!!).

SHOOT! Posted in the wrong thread. I will write about the fairways in a little bit but if anyone wants to read what I wrote, go to the Driver thread here lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the reaction @JB so I knew I was in the wrong thread :LOL::LOL:

I get that 'Kid on Christmas morning' feeling every time I pull the headcover off the Max D 3 wood. It just launches the ball and even though its draw biased I don't think I've hooked one all year. I have managed to still slice it a few times, LOL. Even so - it makes me giggle like @xThor when I hit this thing solid.

I've gotten myself closer on Par 5s than I have in the last couple years. Even had one on the green in two the other day - something I haven't said since was playing the Tour EX10 Beta back in the day. The only odd thing is that I've been hitting the Max D 3 wood farther than I hit my Max D driver. Some tinkering with an LS head may have remedied that for the time being, but I figure this is a good problem to have.

The 5 wood doesn't get pulled a whole lot on my home course just because the yardages never really seem to call for it, but the handful of times I've swung that it's just as good as the 3 wood.

One of these times out I'm just going to play 3 wood and 5 wood off the tee exclusively just to see what I give up, if anything, by not hitting driver. I'm guessing my scores will be very similar. This is also my 'get out of trouble' club. I have the tendency to send a drive (or two) onto another fairway and this 3 woods has gotten be back in good position more times than I can count this year.

Bomber plain and simple. Very addictive and fun to hit.

I didn’t play over the weekend so I’m looking back at my last few rounds and the Rogue ST LS 3 wood definitely stands out. This club is so easy to hit I’m comfortable using it from just about all but the thickest rough. My ability to be confident that I’m not going to turn the ball over to the left is becoming more and more of an asset as the season goes on, allowing me to be more aggressive with the 3 wood (which is insane!!).

My short time with the LS driver head has me tempted to try the 3 wood too. Max D has just been so good though, it's hard to mess with it.

Has anyone compared the 425 Max to the Rogue ST Max? I hit my Ping well but it feels really light and whippy and my Rogue ST Max driver got me thinking

Time for a quick update. I was fit into a Rogue LS 3+ wood and LS 5 wood. The idea behind the 3+ wood was to be a second option off the tee as I don't typically hit a 3 wood off the deck. What I found was that it would benefit someone with a better swing than me (and likely more swing speed). I wasn't more accurate off the tee with this than my driver so it is now with a teammate who it fits better. (I have his LS 3 wood in trade which I'm experimenting with but so far has not made its way into my bag since the second driver is so solid).

The 5 wood is a whole other story. It is so easy to hit off of a small tee or the fairway. When I need to get max distance off the fairway or light rough this is what I grab. It launches high and straight for me but I can move it either direction when needed.

This past weekend I used my Max D 3-wood exclusively off the tee (still working on my driver swing). Ended up hitting 11 of 14 FWs and avg ~215 yds off the tee (still working on getting back to my 2019 distance). Ended up having my best round of the year. So far I have been very pleased with the Max D, both off the tee and off the deck.

Proper post for the fairways instead of a driver post...

I've been a two fairway player since I started playing golf. 3 and 5. Both always had their uses and both always had pretty decent differences in yardage.

My favorite fairway of all time was my Nike Vapor Flex 5w. Consistent and accurate when I really needed a fairway hit and distance enough to not be worried about my second shot in to a par four. Consistent from the fairway as well as an option to go for par 5s in two. Never thought I'd find another fairway like it.

In comes the Rogue ST Max 5w. Blows the Nike out of the water in ever category (except adjustability :p).

I've hit shots with this 5w as far as I've hit a driver at times. It has THAT much pop in it. I still have the confidence to take it off a tee when needed and am getting to a point where I'm hitting it well off of the fairways as well.

I've posted about this before but it was a bit of an adjustment period to these. Meaning the 5w and 3w. Well that adjustment period is over with the 5w and it's been an absolute weapon when I've needed it for the past month or month and a half. Still getting the 3w dialed. I mentioned that I can get balls out there with my 5w as long as some drives. Well I'm also currently out hitting my 3w. But once I'm able to unlock the 3w like I have the 5w, look out par 5s. I'll be looking for eagles!

Seriously though, the distance of these is pretty unreal. Fell is top notch and looks are PERFECT. Callaway hit absolute homeruns with the fairway line. I really hope more people give these a shot because they are a criminally underrated part of this lineup this year!

Time for a quick update. I was fit into a Rogue LS 3+ wood and LS 5 wood. The idea behind the 3+ wood was to be a second option off the tee as I don't typically hit a 3 wood off the deck. What I found was that it would benefit someone with a better swing than me (and likely more swing speed). I wasn't more accurate off the tee with this than my driver so it is now with a teammate who it fits better. (I have his LS 3 wood in trade which I'm experimenting with but so far has not made its way into my bag since the second driver is so solid).

The 5 wood is a whole other story. It is so easy to hit off of a small tee or the fairway. When I need to get max distance off the fairway or light rough this is what I grab. It launches high and straight for me but I can move it either direction when needed.
So you’ve tried the 3+, the 3, and the 5… Why no love for the 3HL?! 😆

Your description of the 5 wood is how I feel about the 3 wood. So easy to hit! Except I’m not trying to move it both directions (yet 😬).

So you’ve tried the 3+, the 3, and the 5… Why no love for the 3HL?! 😆

Your description of the 5 wood is how I feel about the 3 wood. So easy to hit! Except I’m not trying to move it both directions (yet 😬).
I somewhat want to try a 5+ to push a little more distance but that's the #LunaticFringe talking..lol

Back