Callaway Razr X Tour Irons

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
I know we have a thread about Callaway's entire iron lineup, and I know we have a thread about the Morgan Cuppers who are Callaway sponsored receiving their irons but I wanted to start a thread designated solely to the RXT's.

I also wanted to do this b/c while there is some great feedback on these irons, it's mostly taking place in the Morgan Cup thread and I fear that folks who aren't involved in that event aren't really paying attention. I understand that, but I don't want the highlights of these irons to be overlooked by the forum.

I've had my RXT's for about a month or so now and have about 5 rounds of golf and countless range sessions under my belt with them. For those of you who don't know, I have the 4-GW, KBS Tours Xstiff, soft stepped. They are fit to me at 1/2'' longer than standard and 3* upright. My very first experience with them was on the course in tournament play. I was in the process of moving so there was no warm up time with them whatsoever, just straight into the bag and straight to the first hole.

I was a bit nervous at first b/c of the sheer weight difference between these and the Burner 2.0's, with the stock shaft. I could immediately notice a difference in weight, with the RXT's being significantly heavier. Those fears were quickly put to rest though when I hit my first shot with an iron. WOW! What a difference to have clubs built to my specs. No more predominant toe down divots, which was causing me slight fades with the 2.0's. Laser like precision, with a solid feel, coupled with some wicked turf interaction, and I was sold!!!

What I really want to hit on is the forgiveness. We all have to admit it, we're slaves to marketing. These are branded as "Tour" irons, which means minimal offset, a sleek topline, and a degrees of playability. Well, these look fantastic at address, there's no denying that. They just make a guy feel comfortable looking down at them. Where they differ from most "Tour" irons I've demo'd in the past, they are packed with forgiveness. The irons do have a full cavity but you'd never know it looking down at them. Feedback is available to the golfer so you'll know if you didn't catch it flush but misses are just not that penal.

They look spectacular. There are those who have commented on the aesthetics of the cavity, and while I agree that they aren't the hottest thing you'll see in a picture, they look so much better in hand. All that is overshadowed by the finish on the iron in my opinion. I would describe the finish as a sort of nickel finish that just oozes class!

I know that these are some of the best irons I've hit this year, and trust me, I've hit a lot of them. What golfer wouldn't like what they have to offer? They have the sleekness, they have the distance, they have playability, and best of all, they offer some forgiveness. These irons must be on your shortlist if you're in the market and all that I would ask is that you try them. I swear you won't regret it. They may not win out for you, but I can gaurantee they're better than you think they are.

Anyway, RXT owners, shoppers, and lusters.............SOUND OFF!

One of my favorite irons this year. Callaways entire lineup this year is fantastic but the RXT's take the cake. One of the most forgiving players irons that I have ever hit. And the feel is fantastic.

One of my favorite irons this year. Callaways entire lineup this year is fantastic but the RXT's take the cake. One of the most forgiving players irons that I have ever hit. And the feel is fantastic.

I honestly think it's as simple as that too chunky!

Great post and thanks for the info TC. Glad to see you are enjoying these irons and they are working so well for you. Especially comming off using the 2.0s, I know how sold you were on them and to see that these are so much better really speaks to the quality of these clubs.

They are some pretty sexy looking irons. In hindsight, I wish I had given these an honest look when shopping for irons. Hmmm,...maybe I need a second set of "winter" irons... lol.

They are some pretty sexy looking irons. In hindsight, I wish I had given these an honest look when shopping for irons. Hmmm,...maybe I need a second set of "winter" irons... lol.

Or just send the Srixons to me and you can go look at the Callaways...lol

Nice write up on these irons TC. As you know from earlier discussions these are on my radar along with several others. You made a comment about the weight of the clubs that cought my attention and that is the weight. I don't know the weight of your KBS shafts, so is it the weight of the custom shafts that makes them feel heavier of is it weight in the club head or a combination of the two?

Great post and thanks for the info TC. Glad to see you are enjoying these irons and they are working so well for you. Especially comming off using the 2.0s, I know how sold you were on them and to see that these are so much better really speaks to the quality of these clubs.

It's no secret how much I enjoyed the 2.0's, that's for sure, and you've seen them in action, but for me, and even early on, the RXT's are just far more accurate. I'm sure a lot of that is attributed to being fit to me.

Nice write up on these irons TC. As you know from earlier discussions these are on my radar along with several others. You made a comment about the weight of the clubs that cought my attention and that is the weight. I don't know the weight of your KBS shafts, so is it the weight of the custom shafts that makes them feel heavier of is it weight in the club head or a combination of the two?

It's definitely the weight in the shafts RW. THe KBS' in xstiff are 130grams, so soft stepped, they're probably around 125grams. That's almost 40 grams heavier than the stock shafts in the 2.0's. It was very noticeable at first but now that I am getting acclimated, it almost promotes a better tempo for me. I just have to remind myself to trust them and that I am capable of swinging them.

It's no secret how much I enjoyed the 2.0's, that's for sure, and you've seen them in action, but for me, and even early on, the RXT's are just far more accurate. I'm sure a lot of that is attributed to being fit to me.

Definately true there, and yes I saw you hit the 2.0s and do so very well. So you're saying if you had the RXT's in Fla the the scramble would not of came down to the putt on 18? We would of won it alot earlier? Hehehehe

Definately true there, and yes I saw you hit the 2.0s and do so very well. So you're saying if you had the RXT's in Fla the the scramble would not of came down to the putt on 18? We would of won it alot earlier? Hehehehe

Without a doubt! I know I'm far more accurate with the RXT's at this point.

Interesting take TC, I've always thought tour irons to be over my head, but maybe I will add these to the mix. I'm currently looking at the Burner 2s, Jpx 800s, and Cleveland CG16s. My normal miss is a hook, so I still need a good deal of forgiveness.

Interesting take TC, I've always thought tour irons to be over my head, but maybe I will add these to the mix. I'm currently looking at the Burner 2s, Jpx 800s, and Cleveland CG16s. My normal miss is a hook, so I still need a good deal of forgiveness.

In all honesty, I find them no less forgiving that the 2.0's, especially in the mid-scoring irons. Don't shy away of them b/c of the name "tour", that's the point I am really trying to reiterate.

It's always awesome when you get to the range to put some quality iron work in, go in, purchase range balls, get to the range, then the skies just open up with rain.....ugh!

No RXT time for me today. Maybe I'll bring them inside and clean them up real good.

This is a great thread since I think sometimes some stuff gets overlooked in the Morgan Cup thread. Good feedback.

I am seriously lusting after these. Good looking and not clunky, but from what I've heard, quite a bit of forgiveness.

I've played two rounds with these clubs and absolutely love them. In my ignorance of modern technology I never believed they could put this much forgiveness into an iron that is so workable. I know a lot of people laugh at that term, and it gets joked about a lot, but I love to control the trajectory of my shots and these things make it so easy without being punished by missing the sweet spot by a groove or two.

Love the looks as well....the badge on the cavity along with the satin finish makes them look extremely nice without going overboard. I think Callaway has a real winner with these clubs. Couldn't urge people enough to give these a shot if they're looking for a club with both playability and forgiveness.

I'm glad to see this thread pop up as I ordered a set earlier this week. I loved the look of these at address with the smaller offset and the compact head compared to my other irons. I was a little nervous about the whole "tour" label, but they just felt so sweet I decided to pull the trigger. I'll post my thoughts after i log some time with them in the next couple of weeks.

I agree. The "tour" label shouldnt scare anyone off. These irons are pretty forgiving given their club head size. A great set of irons.

I'm glad to see this thread pop up as I ordered a set earlier this week. I loved the look of these at address with the smaller offset and the compact head compared to my other irons. I was a little nervous about the whole "tour" label, but they just felt so sweet I decided to pull the trigger. I'll post my thoughts after i log some time with them in the next couple of weeks.

Ah, sweet! Congrats on the purchase. Can't wait to get your feedback and thoughts. Be sure to share them here.

Very good info in here. I was really drawn to these clubs as well, but had trouble finding anywhere nearby that could fit me on callaway stuff being left handed. I really like hearing the comparison with the burner 2's as that's what i ended up with.

Awesome you found your sticks TC. Brands aside, it doesn't matter what's printed on the cavity, as long as it works.

I narrowed my final 3 choices down to these, the Ping Anser, and Titleist AP2 irons. All 3 are phenomenal and feel just great off the club. I'd have to say the Titleist AP2's offered a little less forgiveness (my shot dispersion was a little wider with them), but it was by the slimmest of margins.

A buddy of mine has the RXT irons. I've hit them on a few occasions and have really liked the look, feel, flight and forgiveness. I decided to spend a bunch of time cuddling with his bag on the range yesterday. Long story short, I ended up driving over to Roger Dunn to meet with the Callaway fitter. Every time I hit the RXT and compared it to my JPX 800 (5-AW) I was longer with better dispersion. The fitting session confirmed what I saw visually at the range. For me and my swing, RXT won hands down. I am ordering 5-aw with PX flighted. I've hit most of the current Game Improvement line from CG 16 to G 15, but the total performance of these clubs is outstanding. On a side note, my coach at GolfTec was a die hard Mizuno guy, and he just had a full bag overhaul with RHawk Tour Driver, RXForged irons and RX hybrids. Callaway made a believer out of me

Back