Would you play outside the country?

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
My question is simple. Thinking about courses in England or Ireland they can be totally different than the ones in the US. I understand people love the history behind the game of golf. But knowing your playing a true links style would you want to go?

Would love to hear the opposite question for people who are already overseas.

I went to Scotland and played and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in my life.

I would love to try playing over there!

My question is simple. Thinking about courses in England or Ireland they can be totally different than the ones in the US. I understand people love the history behind the game of golf. But knowing your playing a true links style would you want to go?

Sure. Why not? I play a true links style course here in the US. I'll take a links course over a tree lined course anyday.

I would love to give it a try out on some of the game's most storied courses!

Golf and scotch? Yes!

Talk about the trip of a lifetime....

Can't think of any other reason to visit Scotland, though, and my wife prefers southern Europe.

Id love to, especially if someone else wants to pay for the flight!

A friend of mine are looking into playing St. Andrews and Carnoustie. They have packages where you play St. Andrews and 2 other courses there. They have a handicap restriction which isn't an issue for either of us bur you still have to send proof prior to booking. The upcoming birth of my son is going to push the trip back but we WILL make it there. Gotta play the birth place of golf!

Im not sure I understand the question. I believe there are true links courses domestically right?

Yes I would golf in another country.

Can somebody please define for me "true links golf"? Is just golf on flat land in crappy weather in England?

I have played in several countries around the world and I have to tell
you it's still a blast. Playing a true links style course really let's you know that that style of golf course is
Very hard to duplicate. Bandon has done a great job and and a few other across the US but teeing it up a true links style course overseas is in a class all it's own.
I listen to those I have played with out of the country and they love American resort style courses. I have never played with someone that did not rave about the beautiful courses in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it would be great to experience a links course in another country.
i think it would be difficult, but a lot of fun.

Im not sure I understand the question. I believe there are true links courses domestically right?

I'm talking about St. Andrews or some of these places that have been around for years. I play at a links style course here but I'm talking about historically a links style

I'm talking about St. Andrews or some of these places that have been around for years. I play at a links style course here but I'm talking about historically a links style

What does historically a links style mean?

Do you just mean a historical course?
Or do you mean a course that looks like a course like that.
Because I think a place like Bandon Dunes offers every bit of that style.
I also believe that Jack Nicklaus' take on The Old Course here in FL offers that style as well.

I think it would be amazing! I would love to challenge my game with a new type of course!

I also believe that Jack Nicklaus' take on The Old Course here in FL offers that style as well.

I have to agree with JB, the new course at Grand Cypress is a pretty good rendition of some of the links in the UK. There is another in Orlando but I think that is a far cry, the international at Championsgate. Nice course just not really a true links. Bandon hit it on the nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin Hills or the Straits course at Whistling Straits. We can all name links style course. I may be holder of an unpopular opinion, but just because a course is old doesn't make it good.

There are a lot of courses I'd like to play in the US, for example I'd love to play Bandon Dunes.

I believe there are links courses and "links-style" courses. Links courses are on land that "links" the land tothe sea and the courses are fit into the landscape. Links-style courses are built to emulate the links courses of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England.

I have played in Scotland and Ireland and Wales and the experience is very special to one who likes to experience the history of the game as well as great courses. I don't mean to take away from courses built in links style but there is something I don't think you can get here.

Ireland and Scotland, and of course England, have lots to offer besides golf including great whisky, beer and ale, history and super scenery.

I'd go back with or without the golf but definitly prefer with.

I believe there are links courses and "links-style" courses. Links courses are on land that "links" the land tothe sea and the courses are fit into the landscape. Links-style courses are built to emulate the links courses of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England.

I believe you can still have that in the US in my opinion. Bandon Dunes is the perfect example of that.

Just took a look at the pictures of Bandon Dunes and it sure looks like a links. I am sure the golf is as good, maybe better than in Scotland or Ireland, but it's tough to beat the feeling of playing at St. Andrews, Muirfield or Royal Portrush.
I believe you can still have that in the US in my opinion. Bandon Dunes is the perfect example of that.

Very true but that british open weather sure can be hard to come by in the states.

Very true but that british open weather sure can be hard to come by in the states.

In some areas...Others have pretty bad weather as well.
Head to the PNW for a while and let me know what you think of wind and rain...hehe

And that goes back to another question. Is it the course that you are interested in or the area? It appears it is more just about traveling overseas rather than the courses I am guessing.

Back