The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

He admitted today in an interview that chasing speed/distance has hurt his game and he needs to get back to where he was before.
I saw what he said in the BAD thread.

This has been going on longer than the BAD era though. Rory, like a lot of other of the top golfers, misses cuts and can't seem to sustain like Tiger could. Tiger never missed cuts.

I read just last week Rory saying he thinks his best days are ahead of him. Maybe they are maybe they aren't.

He really should have been way more aware of trying to do what BAD would do to his swing. Surprised he didn't think it through more before making drastic changes.

I am a huge Rory fan. But his comment is a lame excuse for a bad week. He played really well at the APC. Hit a few lose shots on Sunday and was out of it. Played bad this week then all of a sudden it is because he is chasing speed?

he completely changed shaft profiles in his irons too! That is a huge change. The Xsevens and project x 7.0s are very different shafts.

What Bryson is doing for the game is fantastic and pretty remarkable. I respect the hell out of his work ethic and love of the game. With that being said, I do think he is an overrated player at the moment. Don’t get me wrong, his putting is very good but if you bring his distances back to more traditional tour yardages I don’t think he’d be a household name. To hit a 200 yard 9 iron and not be dominating the field is kind of disappointing. But back to Rory!
I don't think the Bryson factor has anything to do with people saying he's fantastic in terms of he'll be competing with jack or tiger on majors. What makes him interesting is almost everything he is doing is so unconventional in a very traditional sport that just doesn't adapt new ideas very well. It takes forever for new ideas and theories to catch on, and he's just kind of proving how overrated all those general stagnant ideas are, and how people need to really play their game. I think this is just really cool.

Played a 4 year old driver last week. He plays with one length clubs. He basically rips and isn't phased by playing off the fairways. Rory's thoughts on his one lengths being faster out of the rough just all factors into how he could a little wilder off the tee. Like it's all really calculated. That's what makes him unique and not overrated imo.

The interview he gave after his round today was phenomenal, per usual. It can be seen here: Twitter Link / Instagram Link

Rory isn't my favorite golfer but you have to respect the fact that he gives brutally honest interviews and he grinds on the course.

this is literally why he is my favorite golfer!!!
Honesty.

I just looked and Rory is second on the entire PGA Tour in driving distance.

If in fact this chasing BAD is what caused bad play lately, it's just sad. I mean, it's not at all like he's a short hitter. Granted I don't know how his ranking at this current moment is due to his trying to murder the ball after the US Open, but still, I don't think he has ever been known as a not-long-hitter.

Some times I think these guys overanalyze things too much.

What if I told you, Rory had been a better putter on the season than Cam Smith.

Screenshot_20220719-195215.png

The golf gods are cruel

Roy had 18 greens in regulation in round 4. Cam Smith shot 60 on the back nine. Cam Young shot 61 on the back nine. Roy just got outplayed.
Yes. He did. Wasn't a dispute.

Regardless of how many majors Rory wins from here on out, I honestly believe he will continue to pick off wins in the regular season. I am hopeful he can get to 30 PGA wins in aggregate and of course adding to his Euro wins in the process (due to overlap etc.).

I don't believe he will win many more majors for various reason one of which is the depth of the field. These guys are so damn good it's going to be hard from him. I think you may see some sort of swan song as he gets older redeeming him of all his mis chances. Sorta like Nicklaus at the Masters or Els at the British Open, when no one really thought he had a chance, including himself......

Everything about this video is awesome. The sound. The whispered stupefaction. The control.

It's perfection.

Everything about this video is awesome. The sound. The whispered stupefaction. The control.

It's perfection.

I would say this is a pretty good position to be in:

1662555093539.png

Rory’s putting together a really solid string of results. Playing some excellent golf

This was tough to read.
Yeah, seems a bit over the top. I mean, what romance novel is this from: "Rory buried his head in Erica’s shoulder and wept as they drove off into the night."

However, 0-30 something in majors since his last, eight years ago, is something to cry about for the guy who, when he was just a kid, was deemed the next golf phenom.

this is literally why he is my favorite golfer!!!
Honesty.

Lol. He was thinking of at least 20 other things that frustrate him before he said what he said.

Oh Rory, just swing the ****ing club!

Lol. He was thinking of at least 20 other things that frustrate him before he said what he said.

Oh Rory, just swing the ****ing club!
So he is blaming Bryson? I really didn't get exactly what he was implying. Just seemed weird to inject Bryson a guy he obviously doesn't like anymore to explain his swing getting crazy. I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

As a Irishman I loved this guy before all the nonsense.

So he is blaming Bryson? I really didn't get exactly what he was implying. Just seemed weird to inject Bryson a guy he obviously doesn't like anymore to explain his swing getting crazy. I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

As a Irishman I loved this guy before all the nonsense.
It's an 18 month old video from a post round press conference where he played poorly as the defending Players Champion. He said Bryson showed him that speed and distance can dominate a golf course (it's a compliment to Bryson) and Rory then chased distance and it made his swing wonky. What's not mentioned since, Rory didn't abandon his chase for speed and distance. He just worked on his swing more while also speed training.

Last edited:
It's an 18 month old video from a post round press conference where he played poorly as the defending Players Champion. He said Bryson showed him that speed and distance can dominate a golf course (it's a compliment to Bryson) and Rory then chased distance and it made his swing wonky. What's not mentioned since, Rory didn't abandon his chase for speed and distance. He just worked on his swing more while also speed training.
That's the thing. Rory's swing, and "speed" in particular, never was his problem. Now he has a list of them: wedges, putter, mental game, toadying for the PGA Tour.

That's the thing. Rory's swing, and "speed" in particular, never was his problem. Now he has a list of them: wedges, putter, mental game, toadying for the PGA Tour.
1664420641594.jpeg

He has a list of problems? He was one of the best putters in the PGA Tour in 2022. He won a few tournaments.

Have you watched progressional golf in the last year?

He has a list of problems? He was one of the best putters in the PGA Tour in 2022. He won a few tournaments.

Have you watched progressional golf in the last year?

It would not be hard to say yes to that question, and list goes like this; Masters, PGA Championship, US Open, Open Championship, repeat, repeat, repeat for eight straight years.

Winning the majors has in fact been problematic for him, just saying.

Back