The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

…he just had one of the better seasons of any golfers on the planet…how does he have a list of issues? Also how is he supposed to just shut up and play golf when they are literally required to talk to the media? I get people being put off by stuff he’s said recently, but he’s also forced to speak about everything all the time. He doesn’t have an option of shutting up and just playing golf.

It would not be hard to say yes to that question, and list goes like this; Masters, PGA Championship, US Open, Open Championship, repeat, repeat, repeat for eight straight years.

Winning the majors has in fact been problematic for him, just saying.
Sure. Without winning a major, he's had a pretty good 8 year run though, right?

He didn't win a major in 2022, but he played pretty darn well.

…he just had one of the better seasons of any golfers on the planet…how does he have a list of issues? Also how is he supposed to just shut up and play golf when they are literally required to talk to the media? I get people being put off by stuff he’s said recently, but he’s also forced to speak about everything all the time. He doesn’t have an option of shutting up and just playing golf.
I am not one of those people that thinks he should shut up. I actually think he is one of the better pressers. My issue is he won’t stop talking about even when it’s not asked or not even relevant. He has so much awesome going on on the pga tour, talk about that. And please for the love of gawd stop saying how awful being selfish is when you literally said a golfer needs to be selfish when you **** on the Euro Tour to come here when more money was announced with the FedEx Cup.

Bringing up "one more win" a minute after winning a tournament was not exactly a "requirement" he should be celebrating instead he had GN on his mind.
There is a mature way as a professional to disagree with things without coming across like some immature baby.

I am not one of those people that thinks he should shut up. I actually think he is one of the better pressers. My issue is he won’t stop talking about even when it’s not asked or not even relevant. He has so much awesome going on on the pga tour, talk about that. And please for the love of gawd stop saying how awful being selfish is when you literally said a golfer needs to be selfish when you **** on the Euro Tour to come here when more money was announced with the FedEx Cup.
And that is completely understandable. The whole narrative from both sides has gotten old. It’s like a weird breakup where neither one can really move on

Yeah, seems a bit over the top. I mean, what romance novel is this from: "Rory buried his head in Erica’s shoulder and wept as they drove off into the night."

However, 0-30 something in majors since his last, eight years ago, is something to cry about for the guy who, when he was just a kid, was deemed the next golf phenom.

Exactly, winning that US Open so early in 2011 and then following up in 2012 with another major. 10 years later only 2 more......

And that is completely understandable. The whole narrative from both sides has gotten old. It’s like a weird breakup where neither one can really move on
But what cannot be argued, Rory mentioning in March of 2021 that Bryson motivated him to try to get longer, and that it caused swing issues, has nothing to do with Bryson playing on LIV

Sure. Without winning a major, he's had a pretty good 8 year run though, right?

He didn't win a major in 2022, but he played pretty darn well.

Yes, he absolutely has had a bunch of very good years/seasons. It is hard to win events out there, so for him to pick off twenty some events over the last decade or so is quite impressive. Elite status for that period of time.

Saw where Rory is playing the DP Tour event and was once again quizzed heavily with LIV questions. Unfortunate reporters keep baiting him but not surprising. From what I read, sounded as if he answered away like he always does. JB is spot on, Rory is without doubt one of the best interviews out there.

One thing I think I’ve noticed, he seems to have a slightly softer take when answering LIV questions while sitting in front of a Euro mic, versus sitting in front of a Tour mic. Ever so slightly, but maybe it’s just me.

self awareness is not one of his strong suits.

But what cannot be argued, Rory mentioning in March of 2021 that Bryson motivated him to try to get longer, and that it caused swing issues, has nothing to do with Bryson playing on LIV

Bryson got into Rory’s head, period. Can’t argue that as Rory basically stated so himself. Add that to his list of problems provided above. While brief, it can and is often construed as mental weakness at the pro level.

There is a reason people call him back door Rors. His issues are more mind related than talent to hit the ball.

You do realize that Rory and Gregg basically pulled off the same feat at the Masters right? Neither handled the situation. If we are going to laugh at one, then it is not out of the equation to laugh at the other.

Bryson got into Rory’s head, period. Can’t argue that as Rory basically stated so himself. Add that to his list of problems provided above. While brief, it can and is often construed as mental weakness at the pro level.

There is a reason people call him back door Rors. His issues are more mind related than talent to hit the ball.

You do realize that Rory and Gregg basically pulled off the same feat at the Masters right? Neither handled the situation. If we are going to laugh at one, then it is not out of the equation to laugh at the other.
I mean, Rory handled his Sunday collapse a little better. He won the US Open in record setting fashion two months later. This picture is also, in a very schadenfreude way, hilarious.

golf_g_mcilroytrees1_576.jpg

Rory collapsed after extending his lead to 4 strokes going into the back 9. Norman started the day the with a 6 stroke lead. They're very similar.

I don't know what you're going on about with the rest. I'm not arguing against any of that. Bryson got into Rory's head, it had nothing to do with where Bryson plays golf now. He was, and this is important to the narrative some have extended, giving Bryson a compliment.

He has a list of problems? He was one of the best putters in the PGA Tour in 2022. He won a few tournaments.

Have you watched progressional golf in the last year?
Yes, yes I have.

Have you watched the last 32 Majors?

Yes, yes I have.

Have you watched the last 32 Majors?
Right. I see how this is going to go. I'm going to mention that I am specifically speaking about 2022. You're going to mention that Rory didn't win a major in 2022. I'm going to agree but that doesn't mean it was a bad year. Three wins including the FedEx Cup, improvements in driver and wedge play, and putting are proof of that. You're going to say it's all about majors and Rory says too much stuff about LIV. And I'm going to roll my eyes because all you did was revive the thread just to stir the pot.

Anyways, Rory is one of the best golfers on the planet and I like watching him play the silly game. Take care.

Right. I see how this is going to go. I'm going to mention that I am specifically speaking about 2022. You're going to mention that Rory didn't win a major in 2022. I'm going to agree but that doesn't mean it was a bad year. Three wins including the FedEx Cup, improvements in driver and wedge play, and putting are proof of that. You're going to say it's all about majors and Rory says too much stuff about LIV. And I'm going to roll my eyes because all you did was revive the thread just to stir the pot.

Anyways, Rory is one of the best golfers on the planet and I like watching him play the silly game. Take care.
LOf'ingL! So when you don't like a particular opinion, it's just someone reviving "the thread to just to stir the pot"? I have been on point in regards to Rory's 8 year drought. I suppose I also see how this is going to go.

It's a forum of ideas so at a loss as to why would you ask a question you clearly don't want an answer to and then take the time to post as much as you did. An alternative is you could just talk to yourself or your dinner plate and get the opinions you seek.

LOf'ingL! So when you don't like a particular opinion, it's just someone reviving "the thread to just to stir the pot"? I have been on point in regards to Rory's 8 year drought. I suppose I also see how this is going to go.

It's a forum of ideas so at a loss as to why would you ask a question you clearly don't want an answer to and then take the time to post as much as you did. An alternative is you could just talk to yourself or your dinner plate and get the opinions you seek.
I don't even know what that means :ROFLMAO:.

It hasn't been a dispute that Rory hasn't won a major since 2014. He had three Top 5s and four Top 8s this year, no wins, he still had a damn good year.

Speaking of Rory, he’s en fuego and now climbed to the top of the dunhill leaderboard.

So this is pretty crazy.

Definitely crazy. 349 avg driving distance at Congaree. 5.98 SG off the tee

anybody care to guess what equipment changes we might see from rors this week? the rumors are swirling.

anybody care to guess what equipment changes we might see from rors this week? the rumors are swirling.
I’m going to guess new irons. I think odds are on driver though…or maybe wedges

Back