Off Course: Is Rory #1?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today Staff Writer at THP, James Miles joins the conversation to discuss a myriad of topics including whether or not Rory is the best player in the world.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and James talk about the latest rankings weirdness and the dominant year Rory McIlroy has had. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as James Mikes goes Off Course.

Episode 131 is here and Dan and James Miles discuss the following topics.

Is Rory a Legit #1
Does the PGA Tour Pack the Same Punch
Is There A Wrong Way To Golf
The 2023 Albatross Club
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or of anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode.

Continue reading...

This and wgp are today's listening goals!

Is there a wrong way to play golf?

Great answer @Jman . Unless we are trying to pick a winner or a “best”, there’s no need to play any game universally under a set structure. Pickup basketball, flag football, street hockey, whiffle ball, etc.. I could go on.

The gatekeepers are slowly going to be ushered out in the next 50 years. Look at what YouTube is doing. An entire generation (my son’s generation) is experiencing the game from such a different perspective than we did. We watched PGA Tour, but they are seeing people close to their age they think are cool experience the game in a completely different way.

Great answer @Jman . Unless we are trying to pick a winner or a “best”, there’s no need to play any game universally under a set structure. Pickup basketball, flag football, street hockey, whiffle ball, etc.. I could go on.

The gatekeepers are slowly going to be ushered out in the next 50 years. Look at what YouTube is doing. An entire generation (my son’s generation) is experiencing the game from such a different perspective than we did. We watched PGA Tour, but they are seeing people close to their age they think are cool experience the game in a completely different way.
a generation of golfers taking Goodwill bags out to the course to play against each other with hahahaha

I still like the "uniform" in a general sense, but I tend to agree with you. Although I do wonder as that generation ages, if their perspective changes.

The TopGolf walk observation is soo true.

Enjoyed this conversation as usual.

Ugh Finau still @Canadan? I don't think he ever becomes the guy we want him to be. Rory is #1 in my book, I don't recognize LIV either haha

Enjoyed this conversation as usual.

Ugh Finau still @Canadan? I don't think he ever becomes the guy we want him to be. Rory is #1 in my book, I don't recognize LIV either haha
Always. 😄

Fun listen. Lots and lots of thoughts.

I love golf, I digest a staff bag load of golf content. I watch LIV, I watch the tour when I can. I love the big event. I watch a bunch youtube golf. Think good good and a bunch of other youtube golf.

I like golf. But!! I do look at LIV different because, they have spent sooooo much money to build it. They are very very contrived in their messaging. I try to exclude the Saudi aspect because it does not really affect me personally so I try to be honest and apolitical about it.

There is plenty of criticism for LIV and plenty of criticism for the PGAT. The LIV tour is weak top to bottom talant-wise. It just is. There are a few good players and really a bunch of fill in guys.

The problem with the PGAT is Monohan.. He needs to go. Also, I think they play too many events, at too many boring courses and are way too beholden to sponsors.. Which does not allow them to pivot to develop a better product.

There is plenty of criticism for LIV and plenty of criticism for the PGAT. The LIV tour is weak top to bottom talant-wise. It just is. There are a few good players and really a bunch of fill in guys.
I agree on the depth without question. I am not sure I would say top to bottom. If a PGA Tour field before this LIV had Brooks, Bryson, DJ, Cam, Reed, Ancer and Louis O it would have been called a great field. Regardless of who else is there. Then throwing in names like Poulter, Garcia, etc and it would have been called a Ryder Cup preview.

I agree on the depth without question. I am not sure I would say top to bottom. If a PGA Tour field before this LIV had Brooks, Bryson, DJ, Cam, Reed, Ancer and Louis O it would have been called a great field. Regardless of who else is there. Then throwing in names like Poulter, Garcia, etc and it would have been called a Ryder Cup preview.

I agree some. But Poulter, Garcia, Phil, Reed, and Bryson are all pretty bad now. would you consider them a betting fav to win any given week? I am not sure I would. Bryson I will give a bit of room because he had injuries etc. But it almost seems like he has switched from wanting to be a pro golfer to a youtube golfer/long drive guy. I think that focus is really affecting his game. He has been getting worse and worse every since he started that.

I agree some. But Poulter, Garcia, Phil, Reed, and Bryson are all pretty bad now. would you consider them a betting fav to win any given week? I am not sure I would. Bryson I will give a bit of room because he had injuries etc. But it almost seems like he has switched from wanting to be a pro golfer to a youtube golfer/long drive guy. I think that focus is really affecting his game. He has been getting worse and worse every since he started that.
I didnt use Poulter and Phil or Garcia to describe it, just adding to it haha.
But I dont think you need a betting favorite make a great field. That list I posted would without a shadow of a doubt be considered a great field at a PGA Tour event.
Thats what sucks about this. Outside of forcing their hands with cash, the PGA Tour won't have too many great fields anymore.

I will also say there are a few basically rookies on LIV that are unknown, but based on Am career, would be touted heavily.

I will also say there are a few basically rookies on LIV that are unknown, but based on Am career, would be touted heavily.

That is true.

I still like the "uniform" in a general sense, but I tend to agree with you. Although I do wonder as that generation ages, if their perspective changes.

Yea, I don’t disagree with that. And in reality, my son does too. He is always hitting me up for new golf clothes.

I think more than apparel, with the younger YouTubers you see less of a focus on traditional 18 hole stroke play and more on different, shorter formats. I think it just leads to less of the rigidity we see in golf. Instead, you see more of a shift towards enjoying the same core game in new ways.

Yea, I don’t disagree with that. And in reality, my son does too. He is always hitting me up for new golf clothes.

I think more than apparel, with the younger YouTubers you see less of a focus on traditional 18 hole stroke play and more on different, shorter formats. I think it just leads to less of the rigidity we see in golf. Instead, you see more of a shift towards enjoying the same core game in new ways.
Agreed.
Although in the LIV thread that is called fake and an exhibition haha

I have been on a crusade for 5 years that golf should be three 6s instead of two 9s.

Agreed.
Although in the LIV thread that is called fake and an exhibition haha

I have been on a crusade for 5 years that golf should be three 6s instead of two 9s.

Thats a great start and would add so much flexibility. I also notice he’d rather play a match of some sort 100% of the time over stroke play.

Thats a great start and would add so much flexibility. I also notice he’d rather play a match of some sort 100% of the time over stroke play.
I have a theory behind that.
Current middle golfers grew up playing video games alone and shooting baskets in the front yard.
Late 80s and 90s born children grew up playing those with others through a live feed and talking to friends during. The idea of just playing alone was considered boring.

I have a theory behind that.
Current middle golfers grew up playing video games alone and shooting baskets in the front yard.
Late 80s and 90s born children grew up playing those with others through a live feed and talking to friends during. The idea of just playing alone was considered boring.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I also think the explosion of club/travel sports has made (some) kids ultra competitive and they actually enjoy competing.

That sort of goes against the “everyone gets a prize” stereotype, but I think that is actually more relevant to the Millennial and late GenX experience than current day.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I also think the explosion of club/travel sports has made (some) kids ultra competitive and they actually enjoy competing.

That sort of goes against the “everyone gets a prize” stereotype, but I think that is actually more relevant to the Millennial and late GenX experience than current day.
Possibly for sure. Think back at your advanced age how much you did solo. Now think about today that nothing is done solo, because of text and social media.

Possibly for sure. Think back at your advanced age how much you did solo. Now think about today that nothing is done solo, because of text and social media.
Oh definitely. The amount of time I just spent wandering the streets and woods alone is pretty much unheard of now.

I am a big proponent of 9 hole rounds. In addition, I agree with what you have stated about enjoying the core game in different ways.

Back