jag398

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just going to share a little nugget that seemed to help my game over the last week or two. I went to golfsmith because Hunter Mahon was signing autographs and they raffled off a new ping redwood and g15 driver (autographed by Mahon). He said the big thing that helps him translate his game from the range to the course is getting into a routine and sticking to the exact same routine on the range and course. He said hitting 500 balls just to hit and trying to make good contact is good and all, but when you get on the course, you won't be hitting ball after ball. He recommended developing a routine and sticking to it on both the range and course. His example was if you take two half swings as practice swings on the course and like to line up and come to your ball from the back, do it on the range every single time you hit a ball. He said you'll get way more out of hitting 150 balls over 2 hours taking your time and focusing than you will get out of hitting 500 balls over 2 hours trying to make good contact and that you will be able to translate rhythm onto the course. I've been working on it over the last two weeks and it has really changed my game significantly. I'm normally in the mid 80's and shot two rounds in the high 70's and just found my tempo and rhythm to be much better (the same goes for putting). I'm not sure if it works for everyone, but it has helped me and figured some people may have the same problem I was having of not being able to translate my ball striking from the range to course. :banana:

Great post man! Thanks for sharing.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome. I will take that into consideration for my next range session. Thanks for the tip.

That is great advice! Didn't realize how important it was until I started doing a little bit of it. But dropping the strokes you did I need to get a better grasp of it. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing, just shows a good pre-shot routine is just as important as hitting the shot

That is good advice, and I always do that as well.

I've started doing just this when I go to the range, it is really helping me on the course as the pre-shot routine is now engraved into my mind. 1 practice swing behind the ball, pick my target line about a foot in front of the ball, address the ball and then swing.

Definitely the way to practice. I also recommend going to the range and playing 18 on the range. By this I mean take a course you have memorized or a scorecard for the course and hit each shot just as if you were playing the 18. If this doesn't make sense just let me know and I'll explain it in more depth.

Great post, and I agree completely. I try to do this, but sometimes have to remind myself to do so. It is easy to just keep "beating" balls on the range instead of doing the same routine over and over.

Definitely the way to practice. I also recommend going to the range and playing 18 on the range. By this I mean take a course you have memorized or a scorecard for the course and hit each shot just as if you were playing the 18. If this doesn't make sense just let me know and I'll explain it in more depth.

I recently started doing this and it's been a great addition to my practice routine. It's great because it has me switching clubs every time I hit, which is what happens on the course. I've gone to the range before with one iron, whichever I picked, and hit 300 balls over the course of 90 minutes and always wondered what I needed to do differently to hit well on the course. This new routine added into the advice you gave has really helped!

I try to stick to the same routine out on the course but never thought to translate it over to the practice range as well. Thanks for the tips!

Good tip. This is my biggest struggle on the range. I try to stick to my on course routine but end up getting faster and faster. I'm not a good range player at all due to this. I usually come away worse than I started.

I like this thought process. I haven't approached it this way myself but I will try now. Thanks for the tip!

Very good advice, too many times we get into just rapid fire banging on the range.

I've started doing just this when I go to the range, it is really helping me on the course as the pre-shot routine is now engraved into my mind. 1 practice swing behind the ball, pick my target line about a foot in front of the ball, address the ball and then swing.

Darn near exactly what I do! :highfive: Definitely helps to turn the page and focus on just that swing. When I stand behind the ball I visualize the shot and the swing, then I take one or two practice swings, usually at half-speed or less. Has helped tremendously.

So your 'this guy' in the ping commercial with HM....hehe
That is great advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100%. Golf is all about routine and having your body do the same thing over and over again. Practice like you play and play like you practice.

Great advice and makes total sense. I need to try this out at my next range session.

This is great info. I don't rush at the range but I probably don't concentrate as much as I should. I will give this a try to see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.

I have a preshot routing but I love this score card idea.

Back