European PGA Tour vs PGA Tour on television

solidkjames

Loves drowning golf balls
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8CGA
The Bubba Watson comment thread got me thinking about what I like most about European events compared to US held events. This got me thinking about the differences of the two tours and how that might impact the players feelings towards the events, venue and tour itself.

I love waking up early on the weekends to watch the final rounds of the Euro Tour on the Golf Channel and listening to the European Announcers just seems to get me in the mood to pay golf. They pay particular attention to the golf and it seems they talk about things in a much different perspective. No silly commentary and for the most part they talk about the golfers, the areas they are from and about that person's career up til now. The broadcasts are so serene and quiet. At times there is hardly any commentary and the golf speaks for itself. Some of the courses are in beautiful settings with mountains and castles in the background. With advertisements littering the fairways, teeboxes and grandstands. It just seems so much different than the PGA tour.

Over here the announcers seem to want to be the highlight of the telecast, making comments that sometimes get them in hot water and the music is loud and obnoxious at times going into breaks. We are pretty familiar with most of the golfers and their personalities so the talk usually revolves around memories of the golfer outside of golf or past performances. It seems the broadcasts seem more like a spectacle and the galleries are more lively. With the players more like rockstars then golfers. There is a big difference in the feeling of what you are watching. I don't know which is better but the difference is clear to see.

What are some of the differences you like good or bad? Do you think the atmosphere differences has an impact on the touring pro's views of feeling at home or not?

Likes: Convenience (nothing else on in the morning), commentary, Euro fashion!
Dislikes: Don't know a lot of the players, not really hyped up (so its not as exciting), I usually don't care who wins, video quality isn't as good.

Overall, yeah it's entertaining in the morning, but the PGA event later in the day is definitely the main event.

I honestly like watching the Euro tour on tv more for the same reasons as you. It's more focused on the golf and not just the key players. Waking up on a Saturday and seeing golf on is great with a cup of coffee.

As far as the PGA I totally agree with you there too. Too much with the announcers and highlight reels, too many commercials and not enough golf. they also focus on the players that will give them the ratings.

I've caught quite a few of these rounds on TV as well and definitely agree to the much more subdued telecast. I was wondering why the PGA doesn't incorporate the advertisements like the Euro's do, but that could also be because they're seeing different commercials? I think it is well thought out and works well, HOWEVER this wouldn't fly in America in my opinion because we (the average consumer) want bigger better faster louder. SO with all the talk of how Golf is losing viewership and sponsors etc etc I think it would only amplify to the average consumer how stuffy boring and rich mans game with that format.

I don't watch a lot of the euro events, unless the bigger names are relevant in the coverage. The BMW is an ideal example, the Dubai events with Kaymer headlining...

Shame about your vid quality, I get euro and US golf in HD over here :)

The problem for the PGA coverage over here is that it hits our primetime hours, so I don't get to see as much as I'd like. When I do see it though, its the best of both worlds because we get less Ad breaks, so those same Euro commentators fill the gaps with insight and decent analysis of the play.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

I enjoy watching the Euro events on the Golf Channel....main difference to me is TV budget.....many less cameras so sometimes we don't get near as close to the action, no roving reporters walking with the groups and not near the production quality....as in, animations, slow mo swing analysis, hole fly overs ect.

I enjoy watching the Euro events on the Golf Channel....main difference to me is TV budget.....many less cameras so sometimes we don't get near as close to the action, no roving reporters walking with the groups and not near the production quality....as in, animations, slow mo swing analysis, hole fly overs ect.

Wow, you're not getting the same coverage as me then, which is a real shame. We get plenty of super slomo stuff, and Wayne Riley's on course commentary is superb. He never talks to the players, but I prefer that, but he stalks the groups in the hushed whispers of a David Attenborough wildlife film! He's always on the spot to give us the scoop on the lie, the likely club choice, and the nuances of the putt line.

"Are you Tapatalking to me?"

I enjoy watching any golf period. I dont care men women it doesnt matter to me.. The one thing that I am not liking is the announcers from football and baseball starting to invade golf. Let the real Ex -Golfers to it .They do it so much better. Watching Chris berman from football doing golf is Like getting a Root canal done.

I enjoy watching any golf period. I dont care men women it doesnt matter to me.. The one thing that I am not liking is the announcers from football and baseball starting to invade golf. Let the real Ex -Golfers to it .They do it so much better. Watching Chris berman from football doing golf is Like getting a Root canal done.

Overlap with my Seve BBC show thread, presented by Gary Lineker, a soccer player who plays a bit of golf. His arrival to the BBC golf team heralded the collapse of quality golf coverage on the BBC!

My cable package does not include the Euro love. Sadly, I don't watch any Saturday morning golf.

Wow, you're not getting the same coverage as me then, which is a real shame. We get plenty of super slomo stuff, and Wayne Riley's on course commentary is superb. He never talks to the players, but I prefer that, but he stalks the groups in the hushed whispers of a David Attenborough wildlife film! He's always on the spot to give us the scoop on the lie, the likely club choice, and the nuances of the putt line.

Yeah, what we get is not BBC coverage, it's done by the Golf Channel.

Overlap with my Seve BBC show thread, presented by Gary Lineker, a soccer player who plays a bit of golf. His arrival to the BBC golf team heralded the collapse of quality golf coverage on the BBC!

They should keep it with Golfers Announcing. Let soccer player announce soccer. I dont want to watch a baseball player telling me whats going on in football. again it might just be me...

Yeah, what we get is not BBC coverage, it's done by the Golf Channel.

This is Sky TV, which is a bit like your cable TV I guess. BBC has very little golf now...

I like watching the Euro events and hearing the announcers with their Euro golf phrases. Watching some events reminds me of watching golf from back in the 70s/80s.

I like to watch the Euro Tour events on TV. But I don't go out of my way to watch it (I don't DVR them or get up early to catch them).

I enjoy listening to the commentary from Renton and the boys during the euro telecast. The angles are different as well, a lot of over head, tower cam shots.
I also enjoy the high priced banter from the US talking heads and the ground dwellers that get in on the action ie David F., Peter K and Judy R.
The coverage of the Nationwide tour is boring to me. Just seems very quiet not a lot of back ground noise.

I'm not sure there are negatives for me as it pertains to PGA AND EURO PGA. Lots of drama and side stories with US coverage, reality golf. Telecast seem more personal. But the dry humor of the euro boys is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bubba Watson comment thread got me thinking about what I like most about European events compared to US held events. This got me thinking about the differences of the two tours and how that might impact the players feelings towards the events, venue and tour itself.

I love waking up early on the weekends to watch the final rounds of the Euro Tour on the Golf Channel and listening to the European Announcers just seems to get me in the mood to pay golf. They pay particular attention to the golf and it seems they talk about things in a much different perspective. No silly commentary and for the most part they talk about the golfers, the areas they are from and about that person's career up til now. The broadcasts are so serene and quiet. At times there is hardly any commentary and the golf speaks for itself. Some of the courses are in beautiful settings with mountains and castles in the background. With advertisements littering the fairways, teeboxes and grandstands. It just seems so much different than the PGA tour.

Over here the announcers seem to want to be the highlight of the telecast, making comments that sometimes get them in hot water and the music is loud and obnoxious at times going into breaks. We are pretty familiar with most of the golfers and their personalities so the talk usually revolves around memories of the golfer outside of golf or past performances. It seems the broadcasts seem more like a spectacle and the galleries are more lively. With the players more like rockstars then golfers. There is a big difference in the feeling of what you are watching. I don't know which is better but the difference is clear to see.

What are some of the differences you like good or bad? Do you think the atmosphere differences has an impact on the touring pro's views of feeling at home or not?

I watch a lot of Euro tour events myself. I have always thought the European telecasts were very well done. I'm a big fan of the distinctive announcing style of Renton Laidlaw and the rest of The European Tour team. Renton is well schooled and does a great job in my book. The annoucers seem to have showing the golf as the priority along with showing the stars of the tour, instead of trying to be the stars themselves. The announcers and the networks here could learn a thing or from the guys doing the Euro tour events.

The coverage of the Nationwide tour is boring to me. Just seems very quiet not a lot of back ground noise

That's because there is NO background noise. No one is there, sadly enough.

Back