Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

I took the Ezone out for a little practice session after dinner this evening. The range was packed but I managed to find a spot to give it a run. I warmed up with my 56*, Tour Striker and 7 Iron. Once I felt like my swing was where it needed to be, I pulled the club from my bag. I immediately noticed that the club was shorter than my 18* that I have had in my bag for the past 6 or 7 years. My hybrids are the only clubs in my bag that have not been changed during that time. I have yet to find a hybrid that could take the place of the two in my bag. That is until now....

Even though the club is shorter than I am used too, it still gave me confidence that I could be very agressive with it. I pulled out 30 balls just for the EZONE. I started hitting of the ground first. I placed the first ball off my left heal and set up to hit a high draw. Boom....the ball jumped off the face of the club. More importantly I can't remember a time my current hybrid got through the hitting zone so quickly. I mean I made what I thought was an easy pass and it whiped through the zone. #2 ball was the exact same as the first, a high easy draw that planed out and fell softly to the left. It was easly traveling 240 with very little effort. I moved the ball to the middle of my stance and held the face through impact to hit a fade. The club delivered what I asked, very little movement left to right, high fade. I hit a few more of the same and then I wanted to see what it could do off a tee.
I pulled my first two shots off a tee about 20 yards left of my intended target. ( I hate this miss with all that I am) I really concentrated on swinging down the line and allowing the club to release. My next three off the tee were pure, Mid to high right to left ball flight. I wanted to see how it compared to my current hybrid so I hit a few with my old standard and the ball flight was low/mid, boring ball flight with some run on the end. I went back to the EZONE and hit a few more. I love the way the ball would hit it's apex and just fall out of the sky. These were not moon balls but bullets that got out into space rapidly.

You always hear people say the ball jumps off the face. Well I am now one of those people!! I am not sure if this is due to the newness of the club or it's design but the ball jumped off the face. Mind you I was hitting range balls and they felt good coming off the face. The feed back I was getting through the shaft was great. The few times I missed my mark I could feel it, but even the mis-hits still had some distance and were not too far off my line. But there was a huge difference between the sweet spot and the toe of the club. The responsiveness was similar to a long iron.

I placed a few balls in some divots I had made while warming up. The first few were in the front of the divot and I failed to get them up and out. The thrid jumped out of the divot with a low/mid ball flight that carried over the 200 yard marker with a slight draw. I then setup to hit a high draw from the divot...I got a high straight ball that flew for ever. The control and distance I experienced during this range session was far better than I expected. It is not often that you hit a club and it perfrorms out of the box. I mean I asked for a stiff shaft and 19* head, that is what I got. No other specs were shared. But the club performed as if it has been in my bag the entire time. I can't wait to play a round with this and hit some shots in the heat of a round.

After this first range session I am very pleased with the results.

Nice write up! Glad to hear the club is working the way you want.

Sounds like a great initial run, Tadashi. Thanks for the update.

Posted via Tapatalk

Great write up! Glad you are enjoying the club

Tap tap taparoo

Nice write up T. As soon as I get mine on Tuesday. I can get the ball flying! I did choose the 5 hybrid not the 3. Looking forward to swinging it.

Nice write up T. As soon as I get mine on Tuesday. I can get the ball flying! I did choose the 5 hybrid not the 3. Looking forward to swinging it.

Can't wait bro, the 5 would replace what iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up Tad, I know you have to be stoked to be hitting the Ezone that great right out of the box. Glad you have found your new hybrid.

Nice write up Tadashi. Going to get out this week to hit this badboy

I took this club with me today while I went out and played 18 at a local club. I haven't hit it yet so it was a complete blind test. Another aesthetics note, I really like the extra little bit of material that rolls up from the face to the crown. It's like a sky mark prevention method!

Now, back to the round. After a few practice swings, I noticed that it felt a bit heavier than my Mashie. Not too concerned about it, I went ahead and teed off on hole 4 with it. I hooked it left pretty hard. It had a nice bright sound and felt very crisp, I just closed the face a bit too much. I re-teed and tried compensate for my hook. The compensation led me to push the second shot right but still playable. Measured it to around 220 yards. Again felt very crisp and had a good bright sound.

Teed off on hole 8 with the hybrid. Again pulled it left, luckily it was playable in the adjacent fairway. It traveled about 200 yards with a low piercing ball flight. Teed off on hole 9 and finally hit a nice straight ball. Again I noticed that it was a fairly low ball flight (only 15 feet or so in the air) but very piercing. Flew about 215 yards and landed in the middle of the fairway.

Used the hybrid again on hole 12 (par 5) off the tee. Hooked it hard left. Re-teed and hit a low piercing ball down the middle. Used hybrid again off the deck for a second shot but hit it a bit fat. Went straight and fairly high but pretty short. Only ~170 but it found the fairway.

Final time I used the hybrid was on hole 13 to tee off. Hit it a bit fat again but it found the fairway about 180 yards out. It was again a low piercing flight.

So to sum it up, it seems like I'm going to have to practice a bit with this club to help prevent myself from hooking the ball into the trees. I'll have to spend some range time adjusting a few little things to straighten it up. I'll give another report in a few days after a bit of practice with this hybrid.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

I'm suffering from the hooks with this club too, jefrazie. Hopefully we can get it worked out because this club is just too beautiful not to hit.

Does this have a closed club face as standard? Could explain the hookeywookeys.

Im curious about ball position for the testers?
I played with this hybrid over the weekend and did not struggle with a hook at all. Could the ball position be affecting your shot?

At the outing, we did not see too many struggle with the lefts (RH golfer), so I am curious about this.

I took this club with me today while I went out and played 18 at a local club. I haven't hit it yet so it was a complete blind test. Another aesthetics note, I really like the extra little bit of material that rolls up from the face to the crown. It's like a sky mark prevention method!

Now, back to the round. After a few practice swings, I noticed that it felt a bit heavier than my Mashie. Not too concerned about it, I went ahead and teed off on hole 4 with it. I hooked it left pretty hard. It had a nice bright sound and felt very crisp, I just closed the face a bit too much. I re-teed and tried compensate for my hook. The compensation led me to push the second shot right but still playable. Measured it to around 220 yards. Again felt very crisp and had a good bright sound.

Teed off on hole 8 with the hybrid. Again pulled it left, luckily it was playable in the adjacent fairway. It traveled about 200 yards with a low piercing ball flight. Teed off on hole 9 and finally hit a nice straight ball. Again I noticed that it was a fairly low ball flight (only 15 feet or so in the air) but very piercing. Flew about 215 yards and landed in the middle of the fairway.

Used the hybrid again on hole 12 (par 5) off the tee. Hooked it hard left. Re-teed and hit a low piercing ball down the middle. Used hybrid again off the deck for a second shot but hit it a bit fat. Went straight and fairly high but pretty short. Only ~170 but it found the fairway.

Final time I used the hybrid was on hole 13 to tee off. Hit it a bit fat again but it found the fairway about 180 yards out. It was again a low piercing flight.

So to sum it up, it seems like I'm going to have to practice a bit with this club to help prevent myself from hooking the ball into the trees. I'll have to spend some range time adjusting a few little things to straighten it up. I'll give another report in a few days after a bit of practice with this hybrid.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

I'm surprised that you are fighting a hook with this club Jeff. I fight that problem myself and I just picked this bad boy up and was ripping it dead straight at demo day. Are you checking to see that you are not closing the face a little at address? I only ask because I do that with the Mashie a lot.

I played with this hybrid over the weekend and did not struggle with a hook at all. Could the ball position be affecting your shot?

At the outing, we did not see too many struggle with the lefts (RH golfer), so I am curious about this.

Me too because I was killin this thing at the outing. Had no problem with the hooks

+2....this wanted no part of left for me either. I play most of my hybrids just forward of center too....

Me too because I was killin this thing at the outing. Had no problem with the hooks

Looks like mine is out for delivery! Yippee... I get to join in on the fun fella's. I will keep an eye out if I hook this and let you guys know. Did everyone get a 3 except for me? I got the 5.

I'm surprised that you are fighting a hook with this club Jeff. I fight that problem myself and I just picked this bad boy up and was ripping it dead straight at demo day. Are you checking to see that you are not closing the face a little at address? I only ask because I do that with the Mashie a lot.

+2....this wanted no part of left for me either. I play most of my hybrids just forward of center too....

same here, I had no problems with it going left. Ball position for me was similar to where I have my Adams and Mashie, about a ball or 2 forward from the center.

I thought I might be closing the face just a bit so I tried out the Mashie off the tee as well. And it went straight down the middle, no problems whatsoever. Went back to the Yonex and hook city again. Like I said though, I think I will be able to iron out the problems I'm having, I just need to put in some range time.

Also, I generally play the hybrid square in the middle, maybe even a little back.

Different clubs will react in differnt ways, i suppose part of the review will be how long it takes the testers to start hiting what they deem to be good shots.

Jafrazie obviously has his mashie nailed and is used to it, the same swing with the yonex produces a hook. Difficult to say why as it could be any number of things....again as the members says, range time is needed to sort that out. But then remembering to swing your hybrids differently to produce the same shot might be tricky!

I arrived home at lunch to see a nice surprize. My 5 hybrid from Yonex was delivered. I'm at work so I did some unboxing photos real fast and thought that I would post them. Keep in mind I'm at work, so I will go into more detail later. When I opened the box, I didn't experience the solvent smell that everyone else has, but I did receive it 4 days after them, so theirs probably no longer has the solvent smell.

First impression: This thing is light! Sure is a pretty stick too. I really like the red stiff shaft, haven't had a chance to swing it yet, so i will post about that tomorrow. It is very classy looking. Not too gaudy and not too plain. I like how they put a red hozzle on the club to make it look nicer. The grip is gorgeous! Love the way it feels and looks. They did a pretty good job of matching the colors, not sure if they meant to or not. But it looks awesome. Seems pretty tacky too, which is good. I really like how they they extended the face a little over the crown which will definitely help with sky marks. Not sure if I like the head cover. I mean it looks nice and slides on easily but you have to adjust it once you slide it on, to make it fit perfectly.

Without further ado, here are my unboxing photos:

yonex1.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex2.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex3.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex4.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex5.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex7.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex8.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex6.jpg
[/IMG]

Definitely more to come!!! I will also post pictures of it next to my R11 Rescue 4 to give an idea of head size. Can't wait to get home!!!

I arrived home at lunch to see a nice surprize. My 5 hybrid from Yonex was delivered....
Spoiler
I'm at work so I did some unboxing photos real fast and thought that I would post them. Keep in mind I'm at work, so I will go into more detail later. When I opened the box, I didn't experience the solvent smell that everyone else has, but I did receive it 4 days after them, so theirs probably no longer has the solvent smell.

First impression: This thing is light! Sure is a pretty stick too. I really like the red stiff shaft, haven't had a chance to swing it yet, so i will post about that tomorrow. It is very classy looking. Not too gaudy and not too plain. I like how they put a red hozzle on the club to make it look nicer. The grip is gorgeous! Love the way it feels and looks. They did a pretty good job of matching the colors, not sure if they meant to or not. But it looks awesome. Seems pretty tacky too, which is good. I really like how they they extended the face a little over the crown which will definitely help with sky marks. Not sure if I like the head cover. I mean it looks nice and slides on easily but you have to adjust it once you slide it on, to make it fit perfectly.

Without further ado, here are my unboxing photos:

yonex1.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex2.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex3.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex4.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex5.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex7.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex8.jpg
[/IMG]
yonex6.jpg
[/IMG]

Definitely more to come!!! I will also post pictures of it next to my R11 Rescue 4 to give an idea of head size. Can't wait to get home!!!
(Spoiler tag to keep the post short)

Nice pics bullfrog! I'm kind of surprised that you thought it felt light. I thought it felt a bit heavy!

One note about the headcover: I feel like I am going to lose the little 3u velcro piece very soon. I'm not sure about that design. Other than that it's a very snazzy looking headcover.

Nice pics bullfrog! I'm kind of surprised that you thought it felt light. I thought it felt a bit heavy!

One note about the headcover: I feel like I am going to lose the little 3u velcro piece very soon. I'm not sure about that design. Other than that it's a very snazzy looking headcover.

I didn't compare it to the weight of my other clubs yet, since I'm at work. But my first impression was that it is light, however this may change once I compare the weights. For those of you that have met me, know I'm Hercules... LOL I could see me losing the little velcro 5. If you lose your 3, let me know, you can have the one that came with mine, since I won't be using it. It is a classy looking cover tho.

I didn't compare it to the weight of my other clubs yet, since I'm at work. But my first impression was that it is light, however this may change once I compare the weights. For those of you that have met me, know I'm Hercules... LOL I could see me losing the little velcro 5. If you lose your 3, let me know, you can have the one that came with mine, since I won't be using it. It is a classy looking cover tho.

I was comparing it VS my Mashie M4. Let me know if you lose the 5, I'll send mine your way as well.

koo. I appreciate it. If anyone got the 4 and loses their velcro 4, let me know, I will send it your way.

Crazy glue and restick Velcro will fix the problem of using the small patch

The few hooks I hit with was due to my swing, I have a tendency to shut the face upon take away. Other wise I thought the club performed well.

Back