Walking 18 holes carrying the bag. What was I thinking?

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a round today with my 15 yr old son. I thought it would be a nice change of pace to walk this time. Good exercise right? Well we both have stand bags so we carried them the whole way. I have been contemplating getting a push cart just for the exercise a few times a month.
We started and everything was great. Walking under the tree lines down the fairways to escape the sun as much as possible and took a few water bottles. It was in the upper ninety's today and our tee time was at 11:30.
Doesnt this sound like a plan with alot of thought? Lol.
Anyway, the front 9 is relatively flat. We got to #7 and the horn sounded for lightning in the area. We walked back to the clubhouse. Our down time was about 30 minutes waiting for the storm to pass and it did. And if you live in the southeast you know what its like after it rains. Instant steam bath. I still felt great going off of the 10th but the back nine is very hilly. By the time we rolled around to 16 I was exhausted. My game took a serious turn for the worst. I was never out of breath but I was totally beat down from the heat. My son's game struggled a bit at the end as well. Now that I'm home and totally drained, I believe I will be getting that Sunmountain or Clicgear cart I had my eye on.

Get yourself a lighter bag and walk more. I've found the more I walk the easier it get. Great to get yourself in shape and enjoy the game a little more

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Lol, sounds like my rounds. I have a cart bag that I lug around, and our course does not have a single flat hole. You start the day going uphill, then down, then up, then down..... all the way home.

What is this thing you call a "flat hole"? I am not familiar. Let's see, on the front 9 of my course, which I walk ~5 times a week, I have to ascend and descend the same big hill 6 times in the span of 9 holes. 10 is downhill, 11 uphill then downhill, 12 uphill, 13 downhill, 14 up, 15 down and sideways, 16 sideways, 17 down then up, and 18 up.....I have blisters as we speak.

On the subject of walking, I love it, but if it is affecting your game, definitely get a clicgear or something. Fatigue is golf's greatest killer... :D

(and beer, but that's for another thread I believe)

Love it! I walk and carry all the time so I feel you pain...it really is a work out and does affect your game.

Dang that had to be tough...Surprised they dont have shelter out on the course...

I walked 9 holes for he first time in a LONG time the other evening and it damn near killed me! My home course is very hill, lots of mounds and valleys, I carried my cart bag the whole way, and even though I teed off at 6pm, it was still 95* here.

I won't be doing that again anytime soon, lol!

I walk and carry probably 80% of the time. I love it. Time to think and talk with buddies, instead of driving up to your ball so can sit there for 5 min while the people in front of you plumb bob their 3 footers.

. My son's game struggled a bit at the end as well. Now that I'm home and totally drained, I believe I will be getting that Sunmountain or Clicgear cart I had my eye on.

I use a Clicgear & recommend it.

I walk and carry probably 80% of the time. I love it. Time to think and talk with buddies, instead of driving up to your ball so can sit there for 5 min while the people in front of you plumb bob their 3 footers.

You have an excellent point. We were fairly steady on pace all day while the group ahead and behind us was doing the "hurry up and wait drill".

We walk and use pull carts to play 18 holes, my thinking is this, walking the course is great exercise but you are there to golf, carrying your bag can tire out your arms, back etc and its not worth ruining your game over. On average if you walk 18 holes it's approx 5 miles up and down hills pulling your cart around. It's still good exercise:D

My first round this year after my layoff I walked and carried and I came very close to being carried off the course myself.

My mind was more than willing but my body was like: "What the...?" :angry:

For my second round I came out with my Sun Mountain three-wheeler and now my body and me are back on speaking terms.

I really love to walk and carry, but walk and push is fine for now as long as I can still do the walking part.:D

In my experience, heat has always beaten me down regardless of how good of shape I am in.. Kudos to you for walking though.. I think more golfers should take advantage of the awesome exercise associated with it.

I alternate between carrying my stand bag or pushing it on my cart depending on my mood and day, but I normally only play 9 holes . If playing on a weekend I know it'll be slow so I'll carry 'cause it's no big deal. If on a weekday, I can get 9 holes in less than 90 minutes, I'll push them in my cart because it's faster.

I'm only used a cart once, and that was cause the party I was with wanted to. I always walk, gives me a better sense of the course and it's great exercise. Of course, I also don't overload my bag. I only keep what I know I'll use. Everything else is left in the car. Even on hot days it's not hard to walk 18 holes, I've done it plenty of times. You must have to know you're doing it the day before and hydrate. Plus, comfortable shoes is so key. I just invested in some very expensive shoes just because my old cheap ones weren't doing the job anymore. You can't skimp out on taking care of your feet in golf (or any sport).

First question, how old are you? (I'm 43)

Second question, are you crazy, man??? :wink:

Please, get that push-cart. I like the walk but the effort necessary to carry, not to mention the stress caused to my lower back, makes it a no-go for me. Using a push-cart though, takes barely more effort than walking just by your lonesome.

Seriously... for those that carry, more power to 'ya. I really give you credit. But even with the advancements in straps and carrying tech, the undo stresses caused to the body (for us older guys especially) to carry, are too risky imo. I'm an avid weightlifter and general fitness buff, very strong for my size and age. But carrying is out of the question for me. I'm a sissy, I guess. :smile-big:

Very few people here in the UK use a buggy, there are always the odd exceptions but for the most part people either carry or use a trolley. I've had an electric trolley for years and wouldn't play the game any other way.

Of course there is a huge difference in tempreture and humidity between the UK and the US, it got to about 22* or 23* yesterday and we thought that was pretty damn hot be honest :D I've played in the US and other "warmer" countries before and always found it hard work, so to be fair I wouldn't blame anyone for using a buggy! But im sure if you were to get yourself an an electric trolley, and got used to using it you would find it much less hard work than carrying.

I walk all the time, never ride.

I have a standbag that is very easy to carry but I still on occasion get tired towards the end of the round. If it is a really hot day then this happens a little more frequently.

I bought a cheap trolley to use so now I will either pull or push my bag (still the same standbag) and that has definatley helped with the tiredness and fatigue. I also find that as long as I keep hydrated and eat energy snacks (flapjacks) that I feel fine by the end of the round.

At some point I will buy a decent push trolley as I have no intention of carrying my bag again

I always walk and always carry, but being only 27 and fairly fit generally helps. But the bigger factor in the UK is the weather. The humidity and temp here is way cooler than some of the temps you guys are talking about. If it was running at 90 degrees over here then I would possibly reconsider the carrying!

My push cart has been my best golf investment yet. I carried the bag and would notice things going sideways towards the end as well. Now I push-cart the bag and besides being faster I've got a place for the scorecard, coffee cup, and I can carry water, food, full bag o clubs etc... I purchased one of the brands you mentioned and have had zero buyers remorse ever. It makes walking rounds fun.

If the weather is anything over 85 I don't carry. I really need to get myself a push cart for those hot days that I'd rather walk than ride.

It's always interesting to read these threads which compare carrying to pushing your bag. I agree that pushing a trolley seems to be easier on the body than carrying, even if you are pushing a heavier bag. However, research has shown that you actually burn a nearly equal amount of calories either way. Apparently pushing a cart just distributes the load more evenly throughout the muscle groups so you don't feel like you are working as hard. Carrying mostly uses the legs while pushing also incorporates more back, shoulders, arms and core muscles.

Interestingly, the same study found that you still burn about 3/5 as many calories using a riding cart, all depending on how much you choose or the course requires you to still walk back and forth.

I always get a bit burnt by 15 or 16, especially on the hilly courses. I like the push carts for the simple fact that I don't have to pick up the bag and move it when I only hit the ball 20 yards at a time. Much more efficient.

Back