Range Finder: pros and cons

Nathan Johnson

Cinderella boy
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a topic of this or not, but I cannot seem to wrap my brain around it. I never used one and I can still get through 18 with no problem. So I thought I'd ask the fine folks of THP: What is a range finder and why would one use it?

Pros are that you know the exact yardage to harzards or the flag, or anything else you want to know. THis way you know exactly what club to select into the green. Cons: None

Pros are that you know the exact yardage to harzards or the flag, or anything else you want to know. THis way you know exactly what club to select into the green. Cons: None

Cons: you don't know the distance to what's on the other side of the hill, dogleg, etc. GPS is good for this.

i never used one till this year, never thought id use one. then i bought the bushnell hybrid. i use it on every shot even the close ones like 50 yards. its great knowing where the flag is exactly i have used different clubs more times since i am getting an accurate reading to the flag instead of whats printed on the scorecard. and i always know where the safe shot is. if the flags in the back at 150 i know if im in between clubs i hit the shorter club knowing i can lay up short and still get on the green and going long isn't safe cause the flags all the way in the back. Also i use it at the range to measure my shots since there isn't a lot of good markings and they always move where you hit from. with me getting all new clubs this year it was worth it alone to get my clubs dialed in on the range. In my opinion it is worth the money.

Cons: you don't know the distance to what's on the other side of the hill, dogleg, etc. GPS is good for this.

Ya, when people say "rangefinders" I always assume they could be meaning a laser rangefinder or a gps rangefinder, I personally use a GPS as I think its more versatile than the laser, but yes that is the con to the laser model for sure.

I don't know if there is a topic of this or not, but I cannot seem to wrap my brain around it. I never used one and I can still get through 18 with no problem. So I thought I'd ask the fine folks of THP: What is a range finder and why would one use it?

I had a Bushnell rangefinder and it was ok at the time, but not always easy to hit a target with a couple hundred yards away. For the money, I would get a GPS. I love mine and would not trade it for a rangefinder today.

I love my GPS! Once you get one you will ask yourself 'how did I ever play without one'. You will play much faster and get a better reading exactly how far your clubs go

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Thanks everyone! I did a little more research and I think I'm gonna have to find a friend who has one and try it out with him before I make any decision to buy one or not. But your opinions do matter and again, thank you!

Makes my round about 5 times faster then having to walk off yardages. Or alot more accurate if I don't.

Both lasers and GPS are rangefinders. The difference is in how they work, not in the ultimate function. Both give you distances to objects on the course. GPS are better for some things, and rangefinders are better for others, but neither is perfect for all needs.

I've found that since I got my Garmin G5 I don't use my laser as much as I used to, but I still keep it around.

Both lasers and GPS are rangefinders. The difference is in how they work, not in the ultimate function. Both give you distances to objects on the course. GPS are better for some things, and rangefinders are better for others, but neither is perfect for all needs.

I've found that since I got my Garmin G5 I don't use my laser as much as I used to, but I still keep it around.

Yeah. I call the laser ones rangefinders and GPS, GPS. I never said either was the end all.

And you're about 15 hours late with your definition clarification.

Yeah. I call the laser ones rangefinders and GPS, GPS. I never said either was the end all.

And you're about 15 hours late with your definition clarification.

Not all of us actually live on the internet. 5 rounds on 5 different courses in 4 different towns in the last 5 days. Sorry I'm so late. :bicker:

I find that I am just the opposite. I use my laser way more than my gps, but I still use both a lot. The gps is great on par 5s for second shot layup distances. Also its good for backup when there is a lot of background clutter behind the flag and its hard to get a solid reading. Inside 100 yards is where the laser really shines for me. I've been working on being able to consistently hit a certain distance with a half swing. I use different clubs for different distances and use the same swing. When I'm swinging well( not very often really) I can hit the ball within 2-3 yards of my distance so it is very helpful to have the exact yardage to the flag.

I have a laser and a GPS. Both are useful, the laser greatest advantage over GPS is inside of 100 yards for precise yardages. GPS greatest advantage is for hidden obstacles. If I only could use one, GPS if playing unfamiliar courses. Laser if at home.

Not all of us actually live on the internet. 5 rounds on 5 different courses in 4 different towns in the last 5 days. Sorry I'm so late. :bicker:

I like this schedule. Lots of golf, and that's a good thing!

i agree!

Back