Confessions of a club ho.....

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is my first thread so be gentle.

So I participated in the Johnnie Walker free GolfTec lesson and ended up really liking my instructor. I decided to sign up for lessons and get my game in shape. I have hit a wall at 90 and actually started to decline severely. So far I am seeing much better shots on the course and a higher level of confidence. So I must say the GolfTec approach is working for me. The video showed me how bad my eyes were playing tricks on me with ball position. Of course it also showed me that maybe it is time to drop a few lbs but back to the topic at hand. I have been shopping around for new clubs and getting to Golfsmith early to warm up then staying later to hit pretty much every club they have to demo has been a real treat. :D

I had the original Nike Sasquatch driver, 3W, 5W, and an Adams hybrid that I had been dying to replace. As you can see from my signature Taylormade made a big impression on me through demo days. I really like the feeling of the TP R11 on the driver and the Superfast 3W being so light actually kept me in good tempo. The R11 hybrids just go and go and go for me. The next plan of action is the irons and now I have a good baseline of clubs out there.

I currently play the Callaway X-20's off the shelf no changes except when it was time to change the grip, I went midsize and am really liking it. I can't shape the ball, on purpose anyway, which I really don't care about....yet. The 3 clubs I like the best right now are (in order) 1. Mizuno JPX 800 2. Titleist AP2 and 3. Ping G15. I can hit the Callaway Razors but I just don't like the feedback from them. I am going to be fitted here sometime in the next week and am still very open to different options so I just had a few questions.

1. The Ping G15's are easy to hit but they are huge. Can I grow with this clubs and learn how to shape shots? This will be after I learn not to lose 2 sleeves of balls a round.
2. Do I look like an idiot walking around with Titleist clubs while I am looking for my ball in the desert?
3. Where have people had better luck with club fittings; Golfsmith or PGA Superstore?

Thanks in advance.

You're having good luck with Golf-tec, why not get fitted there?

I'll be interesting to see how this turns out for you. I have a similar handicap and play off the shelf x18's. Like to see how new/fitted clubs make a difference in your game.

If you like the Pings then why go someplace else? Is somebody commenting on the size of your clubs? I personally love a lot of the Ping stuff I've hit and from what I've learned at demo days is the G15 is very easy to grow into because you can shape the shot since it puts a good amount of spin on the ball.....more than the i15

I do live in the SE Valley of Phoenix so if during a fitting they tell me Ping is the way to go then I will head to the Ping factory. The G15's are stupid easy to hit.....I just see a lot of the sole at address.

I recommend checking out the TaylorMade Burner 2 and Nike VR Pro Combo review threads as you may be surprised. Both sets of irons are superb

Welcome to THP and congrats on seeing some breakthroughs in your sessions with GolfTEC.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I believe you will be able to work the ball left and right with G15's. You won't really want to unless you have to. Remember, high and straight is good. You will struggle flighting them lower though.

2. No, you won't look bad roaming the desert for balls with TItleist's in your bag. Everyone's been there at some point. It's your right to play what fits you best and if it's Titleist's then go for it.

3. I agree with the others in letting GolfTEC do the fitting. You already have a relationship there and I think you'll receive a far superior fitting.

Have you tried the Cleveland CG16 irons yet? I would suggest you at least give them a swing prior to your final decision. With that said play the irons that give you the best results and the confidence you need on the course.

This is my first thread so be gentle.

So I participated in the Johnnie Walker free GolfTec lesson and ended up really liking my instructor. I decided to sign up for lessons and get my game in shape. I have hit a wall at 90 and actually started to decline severely. So far I am seeing much better shots on the course and a higher level of confidence. So I must say the GolfTec approach is working for me. The video showed me how bad my eyes were playing tricks on me with ball position. Of course it also showed me that maybe it is time to drop a few lbs but back to the topic at hand. I have been shopping around for new clubs and getting to Golfsmith early to warm up then staying later to hit pretty much every club they have to demo has been a real treat. :D

I had the original Nike Sasquatch driver, 3W, 5W, and an Adams hybrid that I had been dying to replace. As you can see from my signature Taylormade made a big impression on me through demo days. I really like the feeling of the TP R11 on the driver and the Superfast 3W being so light actually kept me in good tempo. The R11 hybrids just go and go and go for me. The next plan of action is the irons and now I have a good baseline of clubs out there.

I currently play the Callaway X-20's off the shelf no changes except when it was time to change the grip, I went midsize and am really liking it. I can't shape the ball, on purpose anyway, which I really don't care about....yet. The 3 clubs I like the best right now are (in order) 1. Mizuno JPX 800 2. Titleist AP2 and 3. Ping G15. I can hit the Callaway Razors but I just don't like the feedback from them. I am going to be fitted here sometime in the next week and am still very open to different options so I just had a few questions.

1. The Ping G15's are easy to hit but they are huge. Can I grow with this clubs and learn how to shape shots? This will be after I learn not to lose 2 sleeves of balls a round.
2. Do I look like an idiot walking around with Titleist clubs while I am looking for my ball in the desert?
3. Where have people had better luck with club fittings; Golfsmith or PGA Superstore?

Thanks in advance.

The G15's will be plenty workable. They are fantastic clubs that will grow with your game.
You will not look like an idiot looking for your ball with Titleist in the bag.
Why not use Golftec for your fitting?

CG16's and Burner 2.0's are always a good choice.

The G15's will be plenty workable. They are fantastic clubs that will grow with your game.
You will not look like an idiot looking for your ball with Titleist in the bag.
Why not use Golftec for your fitting?
You can work the ball easily with those. A fitting is the best thing you could do. Good Luck

Welcome to THP and congrats on seeing some breakthroughs in your sessions with GolfTEC.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I believe you will be able to work the ball left and right with G15's. You won't really want to unless you have to. Remember, high and straight is good. You will struggle flighting them lower though.

2. No, you won't look bad roaming the desert for balls with TItleist's in your bag. Everyone's been there at some point. It's your right to play what fits you best and if it's Titleist's then go for it.

3. I agree with the others in letting GolfTEC do the fitting. You already have a relationship there and I think you'll receive a far superior fitting.

+1 on this. I think once you become fitted for clubs it will make a huge difference in your game. Go with what you feel most confident with and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

The best advice I can give is that when I was fitted for irons last year I went in without a particular brand in mind, I just wanted to see what the numbers and the ball flight of different irons and shafts could do for me. Letting the fitter do his/her job with your candid feedback is the best thing you can do.

have you tried the AP1's I find them a lot more forgiving than the AP2's and for us higher handicappers ;) forgiveness is always good. Good Luck!!

All: Thanks for the kind words of advice and encouragement. I do have an appointment to get fitted and I really am going in there with an open mind. The nice thing about hitting probably around 15 sets of irons in the last week is that I know that I don't know. LOL. The 3 clubs I mentioned above (JPX 800, AP2, G15) are the ones that stood out from the rest. I will however be prepared for whatever they want me to hit to see what is best for my swing.

In my completely unbiased opinion I'd suggest the JPX 800s.

:cool:

All I can suggest is to try them and see what feels best. I didn't like the TM 2.0 burners, Callaway Razr x and ended up having to choose between Mizuno Jpx 800 or G15 and finally went for G15's. They are lovely clubs, long, straight and easy to hit. Had a lesson at the weekend to address a few issues and I asked the pro about shaping shots and he said yeah, not a problem with them

So now I am scratching my head more. First I brought my 6 and 8 iron to my fitting with me. There was an average of 15 yd difference between the 2 clubs. Not good. I have been fighting getting the right yardages as of recently and I think I know why now. Stock shafts were uniflex. When I bought these clubs I never had a clue on how much the shaft makes a difference. That is the main reason why I wanted to get new clubs.

What did I learn from the fitting?
1. I need the lie to be flatter. That was very apparent on the lie board. Then I learn that all club makers std is different.
2. When I switched from my X-20's uniflex to a Adams a12 stiff.....ball speed went higher and ball was 24 yards longer on the 6 iron.
3. I am 33....I don't need graphite yet. LOL. She gave me 1 club with a graphite shaft and 3 swings....3 very different ball marks on the face tape.
4. She suggested I go with a heavier shaft as I gave much better feedback on hitting the ball on the heavier shafts.

So in the end I didn't have an Ah-ha moment on any club I hit in this fitting. I can now take the Burner 2.0's and Mizuno JPX-800's out as I tried both in mulitple shafts and just couldn't hit them. The AP2's I hit the best today but just didn't like the spray from left to right hitting these clubs. I left the lie tape on the bottom of my clubs to show my instructor to see what he thinks but at this point I am thinking the G15's are the way to go. Plus with the G20's coming out I think I can get a price break! I guess I need to go to the PING factory soon.

I recently tried the Burner 2.0's, JPX 800's and the Di11's. All great clubs. I'd happily go with any of those. After a while, the "right" club just gives you this extra bit of confidence when you're looking down on it, and you just end up nailing every shot. I don't envy you though 'cos it's a tough decision.

So now I am scratching my head more. First I brought my 6 and 8 iron to my fitting with me. There was an average of 15 yd difference between the 2 clubs. Not good. I have been fighting getting the right yardages as of recently and I think I know why now. Stock shafts were uniflex. When I bought these clubs I never had a clue on how much the shaft makes a difference. That is the main reason why I wanted to get new clubs.

What did I learn from the fitting?
1. I need the lie to be flatter. That was very apparent on the lie board. Then I learn that all club makers std is different.
2. When I switched from my X-20's uniflex to a Adams a12 stiff.....ball speed went higher and ball was 24 yards longer on the 6 iron.
3. I am 33....I don't need graphite yet. LOL. She gave me 1 club with a graphite shaft and 3 swings....3 very different ball marks on the face tape.
4. She suggested I go with a heavier shaft as I gave much better feedback on hitting the ball on the heavier shafts.

So in the end I didn't have an Ah-ha moment on any club I hit in this fitting. I can now take the Burner 2.0's and Mizuno JPX-800's out as I tried both in mulitple shafts and just couldn't hit them. The AP2's I hit the best today but just didn't like the spray from left to right hitting these clubs. I left the lie tape on the bottom of my clubs to show my instructor to see what he thinks but at this point I am thinking the G15's are the way to go. Plus with the G20's coming out I think I can get a price break! I guess I need to go to the PING factory soon.

Both the Ping G10's and 15's are discounted right now. G10's $499 and 15's $599 at Golfsmith.

So I finally bit the bullet and went with the G15's. I went to the Ping factory here in Phoenix and got the free fitting. First of all I must say that the guys over at Ping are nothing but professional. Very happy to deal with them. I got into the bay and was able to hit pretty much anything I wanted. They don't sell clubs there so there was no pressure what so ever.....just hit the ball. In the end I got 5-9 of the G15's with a KBS stiff shaft and midsize grips. I also got 4 Tour S wedges. I am concerned a little with the gap between the 9 iron (40*) and the 47* Tour S, but I will see how the clubs play over the next month or so.

I was in a tournament this weekend and this was the first place I was able to take the clubs out. I was a little concerned not knowing yardages but I figured a 4 man scramble would be a stress free place to try the clubs. All I had to do was make a few putts. :) The G15's hit like butter. It is nice seeing the lessons and the equipment working well with each other. The wedges took a little work but by the end of the round I had them on the green at least. I always took a wedge to the tee box with me to hit some chips and I really like the TS grind on the 60* wedge. All in all I am very satisfied with the purchase and hope I can get my game in order.

So I finally bit the bullet and went with the G15's. I went to the Ping factory here in Phoenix and got the free fitting. First of all I must say that the guys over at Ping are nothing but professional. Very happy to deal with them. I got into the bay and was able to hit pretty much anything I wanted. They don't sell clubs there so there was no pressure what so ever.....just hit the ball. In the end I got 5-9 of the G15's with a KBS stiff shaft and midsize grips. I also got 4 Tour S wedges. I am concerned a little with the gap between the 9 iron (40*) and the 47* Tour S, but I will see how the clubs play over the next month or so.

I was in a tournament this weekend and this was the first place I was able to take the clubs out. I was a little concerned not knowing yardages but I figured a 4 man scramble would be a stress free place to try the clubs. All I had to do was make a few putts. :) The G15's hit like butter. It is nice seeing the lessons and the equipment working well with each other. The wedges took a little work but by the end of the round I had them on the green at least. I always took a wedge to the tee box with me to hit some chips and I really like the TS grind on the 60* wedge. All in all I am very satisfied with the purchase and hope I can get my game in order.

Congrats. Glad you found some irons that work well for you. And nice to hear about the great CS at Ping

Back