KBS Tour Shafts Contest - The Deutsche Bank Championship [SPOILERS]

KBS's Twitter feed said the winner of The Barclays had KBS shafts in his wedges.

Good catch!!

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Sweet I have Bubba and Sergio.......keep it up guys

Last edited:
Question? What is the difference in prize money between say first and 3rd. I only ask this because what if you have the guy who wins and a guy who finishes in the top 10, but someone else has 3 guys that finish say 3rd, 5th, and 12th or something. Would the guys with 3 in the top 15 be the winner? I dont see how they wouldnt be, but thats why Im asking

Question? What is the difference in prize money between say first and 3rd. I only ask this because what if you have the guy who wins and a guy who finishes in the top 10, but someone else has 3 guys that finish say 3rd, 5th, and 12th or something. Would the guys with 3 in the top 15 be the winner? I dont see how they wouldnt be, but thats why Im asking

First is 1.3 mil I believe. Third prolly ain't close to that

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

JB can you see what putter Kelly is using now, if the data is out yet? I haven't seen him recently but I'm just curious what he replaced the classic line with.

--
tapatalk

So quick story and thoughts. I went to the Deutsche bank yesterday at the TPC Boston. Me and my buddies followed Bubba Watson's group for 14 of his 18 holes. Several thoughts. The arc he creates and swing speed are seriously not done justice on TV. His swing is crazy to watch. On the par 5 600 yard 7th hole, he used driver SIX IRON. I don't know what they said on tv or if they mentioned it, but we were 10-20 feet from him and he had his 5 iron, and his caddie talked him into a 6 iron with the wind. He then stuck it to 9 feet. Also, he has really good touch for such a long hitter, this to me is the difference between him and DJ. We followed DJ's group for a while too. While DJ was as long as Bubba with a much more effortless swing, his approach shots were always 4-5 feet outside his playing partners, Kuchar and Watney. K.J. Choi is awesome. He was playing like absolute crap, but was still interacting with fans, joking around and enjoying himself. We also saw Hunter's group for 6 or so holes. Hunter also seemed like a really cool guy to play golf with who has fun while he plays. He was paired up with Charles Howell III and Adam Scott and on the 11th tee box (they started their round on the back) Hunter was giving Charles crap about the "III" thing and if his pals growing up made fun of him. Everyone on the tee box was dying. Also, Adam Scott earned my respect big time as there was a piece of s&*% following his group around and yelling after each shot, "Stevie, THAT'S NOT TIGER" "DOESN'T SWING LIKE TIGER, PUTT LIKE TIGER OR SCORE LIKE TIGER...." Adam didn't respond, didn't allow Steve to respond or have security kick the guy out. Then he just went out there and fired a low number. Vijay is really really big. Keegan Bradley is seriously fun to follow and watch. He grinds out every shot, and definitely wears his emotions on his sleeve. We were obviously cheering for him and following him as he's a local guy, but even after he rinsed his ball on the par 3 16th and doubled, he was still interacting and acknowledging fans and slapping hands and pounding fists. Very impressed with Mark Wilson. Seems like a GREAT GUY to play with. Was super devoted to his playing partners. Talking the game, looking for errant balls, picking up divots for caddies, cheering for his group. Keegan came back with a birdie on 17 after his double on 16 and the first one to run over to him to congratulate him and slap his hand was Wilson - even beat Keegan's caddy over. IMO, Keegan's caddie cost him getting cut. I know the player hits the shot, but hear me out.... His second shot on 18, which he hit into a fairway bunker, his caddy gave him seriously bad advice on choice of shot AND then on distance. We were 5 feet away as his ball was close to the ropes, and after advising Keegan to hit a wedge out of the rough TOWARDS a fairway bunker, Keegan asked him for the distance to the bunker and if it was going to come into play. Caddy responds, "Don't worry about it, distance will not be a problem. It won't come into play." Keegan nods, hits the shot - ball goes into the bunker. Caddy looks like he got shot and goes stark white..... Jason Day plays with alot of composure. He hit a tee shot in the woods near us and needed a rules ruling. While he was waiting he was joking with fans about how crappy his lie was and how wild he was off the tee. We spent the entire day there had a really good time. Most of the players were really great and interacted with fans. I had never been to a tourney before. If anyone wants to know what someone was like on the course (at least yesterday) please ask. We saw nearly every group for at least a few holes (except for Rickie Fowler's didn't see him and didn't see Phil - because he was in the group behind Bubba).

Whew, finally caught up on this thread. This is a nice little briefing here and I thank you for sharing for sure.

I picked DJ, Stricks and Choi... needless to say (and yet again) I'm out.

Oh well, I love watching this tourney since it ends on monday. Just hanging and watching good golf! Good stuff.

Dj has them on his wedges

This. So he's technically a kbs player. So is Chez Reavie using the CTaper S+.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Didnt know DJ was a KBS player, oh well. I picked DJ and Fowler.

What a great finish we are in store for today. Lots of top players all with in 3-4 strokes of the lead.

What time do the top few on the leadeboard go off today? Hoping to catch the finish afterwork (DVR is full!)

What time do the top few on the leadeboard go off today? Hoping to catch the finish afterwork (DVR is full!)

Between 1:30 and 1:45

What a great finish we are in store for today. Lots of top players all with in 3-4 strokes of the lead.

Agreed. Need Webb to win it and Kuchar to have a good day and I think I am in it! Hopefully I get to watch the end after work.

Between 1:30 and 1:45

Thanks, I should be able to catch them at the turn. Maybe DJ can keep the momentum rolling and move up the board, and can someone get Bubba some chapstick!

While we're at it what's the media concensus on Phil and his putter switch? I saw where Harmon wants him to stay with it but haven't heard much else other than a small piece by Chamblee.

While we're at it what's the media concensus on Phil and his putter switch? I saw where Harmon wants him to stay with it but haven't heard much else other than a small piece by Chamblee.

I dont think there is one yet. I think today could be the telling point and the day many are waiting for to see.

JB - do you think that this could add years to older guys in their respective "primes"? I read somewhere that nearly all golfers putt worse as they age after 40. Something to do with nerves and hand control. Do you think this will add more great years to Phil? Thoughts?

I just don't want bubba to win (sorry to those that picked him)...if DJ picks it up he might pull a vijay and not have to play the last event and still win.

JB - do you think that this could add years to older guys in their respective "primes"? I read somewhere that nearly all golfers putt worse as they age after 40. Something to do with nerves and hand control. Do you think this will add more great years to Phil? Thoughts?

That is really interesting and I honestly dont know.

I just don't want bubba to win (sorry to those that picked him)...if DJ picks it up he might pull a vijay and not have to play the last event and still win.

Not downing you, but why do you root against Bubba? I don't think I've ever heard that one before, just curious.

G-Mac is interesting to watch today. He is 1 under thru 3 holes and sits right at the projected 70th spot needed to play in Chicago. In other news, Ernie Els is right behind him at 71.

I love this leaderboard. That Jason Day impresses me. He's just always in contention it seems.

I don't think Phil's been very successful with the belly putter. They said he didn't make a putt over 7 feet yesterday. But man, he hit some incredible approach shots. When he's in that zone, no one is better.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Not downing you, but why do you root against Bubba? I don't think I've ever heard that one before, just curious.

I had a not so pleasant experience with him...he's the reason I won't use anything Ping anymore.

I love this leaderboard. That Jason Day impresses me. He's just always in contention it seems.

I don't think Phil's been very successful with the belly putter. They said he didn't make a putt over 7 feet yesterday. But man, he hit some incredible approach shots. When he's in that zone, no one is better.

Spot on! When it's clicking he rivals that other guy from a few years back. I think with time he will get the belly putter dialed in and that just might bring him back to the top. I give him credit for trying something different after struggling so much.

I had a not so pleasant experience with him...he's the reason I won't use anything Ping anymore.

Fair enough, sucks that happened. Was this back in his poor attitude days or more recently?

Last edited:

From 100 in I love watching Phil. Some of the stuff he can do around the green is awesome

Spot on! When it's clicking he rivals that other guy from a few years back. I think with time he will get the belly putter dialed in and that just might bring him back to the top. I give him credit for trying something different after struggling so much.

Fair enough, sucks that happened. Was this back in his poor attitude days or more recently?

Yeah phils short game is fun to watch. Crazy how he can change putters so drastically and still manage to perform well enough to contend.

And yeah back in the bad attitude days.

I don't think you can judge that after one tourney with it. Let's see how it progresses into next year (if he sicks with it) and then we'll talk. Honestly, I don't it has hurt him which lately is a good thing. Sure he's not lights out with it but if it keeps him in the game then so far so good.

Back