Srixon Z-Star Driver

Gamed the Z-Star today. So here goes my evaluation.

Cons:
Sound: now everyone may not agree, but I think this sounds like a big @$$ empty soup can on a stick. Yuk... But we'll discuss why I can live with this later.

Contact: I was all over the face with this driver, don't think I hit center mass once today. I'll be fixing that by cutting the shaft down to my playable length of 43.5".

Looks: From the top it's a little plain Jane and I don't really like the grooves on the face. Maybe I should send it out to get painted white!

Pros:
Accuracy: Spot on accuracy with this girl. Even on mishits she flew pretty straight. I didn't have to "over concentrate" on hitting the Star on the screws like the R11 and I could pick up some clubhead speed which resulted in longer shots.

Distance: While not Superfast long I did pick up about 5-10 yards over the R11 but like I said before, the forgiveness in the head let me swing a little more freely.

Trajectory: I didn't find the weighting to have as much of an effect as I expected on the trajectory of my shot. 7&7, 7&11, and 11&3 all had a shockingly similar ball flight. I'd call it dead mid, not mid high or mid low, just mid. This isn't a problem as I play lots of windy courses with hard fairways but I did still expect more from the changes I made.

All in all I give it a solid mark so far. I've come to find that there is no driver that is going to have me bombing beauties down the fairway every swing. I'll have to fix that myself. However, the Z-Star is a solid performer and could very well find it's place in my bag for good regardless of that horrible sound that it seems to make at impact.

Hit the Z-Star at the range again today. Still impressed. But why oh why does the weighting not change my trajectory??? I just don't get it.

Hit the Z-Star at the range again today. Still impressed. But why oh why does the weighting not change my trajectory??? I just don't get it.

That must be a swing thing, because I see a pretty big change in trajectory changing out the back weight.

That must be a swing thing, because I see a pretty big change in trajectory changing out the back weight.

so did i, the Zstar was the best at changing up and down ballflight with the weights out of every driver i have owned.

Like you, I did not see a big change in ball flight going from 7-7 to 11-3. I would also recommend trying the N to NU or vice versa - might see something with that in addition to the weight changes.

Trajectory and control changes for me with altered weighting. I get a noticably higher flight with a 3g heel/11g rear vs. using 7g/7g.

It's a solid driver, and I'm sure that it does do what it says. I'm just not seeing the changes when i put my swing on it. I don't know what it is.

It's a solid driver, and I'm sure that it does do what it says. I'm just not seeing the changes when i put my swing on it. I don't know what it is.

Your brain - like always in golf. :D

Even though the Z-Star outperforms the R11 I do see a change in ball flight with the R11 after adjustments. Soooo...

Who has the best price on these? No shops in my area have them and if they order one it's going to be $400. I hate ordering one without hitting it first but I am going to take a chance. It has to be better than the 12 year old Ping I am currently hitting.

Who has the best price on these? No shops in my area have them and if they order one it's going to be $400. I hate ordering one without hitting it first but I am going to take a chance. It has to be better than the 12 year old Ping I am currently hitting.

Blind9
Click the banner at the top of the forum
Contact the store and tell them you are a THP forum member
They will find you a great price.
Or you can contact pattyblind9golf via pm and ask.

Jep pattyblind9golf gave me a great deal on the driver and fairway wood. I love these sticks. I am hitting alot more fairways than I do with other drivers. I went one round with 3 drivers just to compare, It wasn't longer than the others but more accurate. For me it makes golf easier and more fun.

srixon is the real deal i just wish more stores carried them

Only place around me is PGA Superstore. I actually went through Blind9 for mine and saved a good bit of money compared to purchasing locally.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

I put the Srixon Z Star driver in the bag this week, I'm coming off of a TM Supertri with a Fubuki 63s and an 8,8,4 weight configuration.

I have the stiff 60ish gram dromos and started out with the two 7 gram weights. I missed the first two fairways but not by much, I hit a high fade both times which has been my
miss of late. The third time I used the driver was on a par five and I hit another high cut that ended up in the fairway 270 yards on an uphill par 5, I was impressed with the distance considering I didn't hit it great. The fourth shot (and final driving hole) I took out the 7 gram in the toe and put in the 11 gram to bring the flight down, I hit another cut but it was much lower and got a decent amount of roll, ended up 285.

All in all I like it so far, the dromos is smooth, I like the sound and look at address and distance and dispertion was good especially considering I wasn't putting great swings on it.

I'll post some follow up after my next round or 9 holes.

Glad to see you liking it so far Jonathan! Looking forward to your thoughts once you have some more time with it.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

I put the Srixon Z Star driver in the bag this week, I'm coming off of a TM Supertri with a Fubuki 63s and an 8,8,4 weight configuration.

I have the stiff 60ish gram dromos and started out with the two 7 gram weights. I missed the first two fairways but not by much, I hit a high fade both times which has been my
miss of late. The third time I used the driver was on a par five and I hit another high cut that ended up in the fairway 270 yards on an uphill par 5, I was impressed with the distance considering I didn't hit it great. The fourth shot (and final driving hole) I took out the 7 gram in the toe and put in the 11 gram to bring the flight down, I hit another cut but it was much lower and got a decent amount of roll, ended up 285.

All in all I like it so far, the dromos is smooth, I like the sound and look at address and distance and dispertion was good especially considering I wasn't putting great swings on it.

I'll post some follow up after my next round or 9 holes.

do you mean heel? there is no weight in the toe, back and heel(by the hosel). The dromos is really smooth, its a great shaft for sure

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Played another 9 holes, this time a more difficult, tighter course. Results were mixed again, though I did like it again. The first couple of drives I hit were big fades, one of them a bad slice but I hadn't been able to warm up at all so I guess it serves me right. I only hit three fairways but most of the misses were only slightly right in the first cut. I think the 7,11 setup feels kind of heavy, the next time I play I'm going to switch to a 3 in the back and 7 in the front to try and keep the ratio but make it lighter.

I own/gamed two W-506 w/diff shafts until the Z-rw came along. Great drivers, all of them. Z-rw being the best of the best for me with stock (no less) SV-3014, Fujikura 66g, stiff. Then came the news about a SRIXON adjustable driver for 2011. I was hooked even before I ever laid eyes on it. I am a SRIXON woods fan..."did you notice?".

That's where my journey begins:

Since I didn't want to purchase without trying (and comparing to the Z-rw) I struggled through my local Golf Town to finally get a demo date with the Cleveland/Srixon rep on Sun, Apr 03 2011. That was 1½ months in the making...!

Received my new Z-Star, Apr 06.....Now, I have to find an indoor/outdoor heated driving range to get to know this "puppy".

I hit 150 balls a day, mon-fri until my home course opened on May 1st....2 wks late b/c of horrible weather .

The more I hit this thing the more impressed I am. The shaft on it is a high-end Myasaki Dromos made ONLY for the Z-Star. Dispersion is next to nothing (no more than ±10 yds off target) IF-YOU-DON'T-TRY-TO-FORCE-IT out of the ballpark.

The head is awesome to look at IMHO and, the sound is btw the W-506 (solid, muffled) and the Z-rw (pleaseant, confidence building "ting"). I'm in love with an inanimate object for the first time ...THEN, it gets complicated....!

I start eating bananas...I hit it like a gorilla and end up playing like a screaming monkey...Not Good! I contact an above average teaching pro (my hdcp has gone up 3 pts within 2½ months) and bought three lessons from him.

First, he puts me back on track. Then, we start tinkering with the weights to fine-tune everything...That's Good!

After my last lesson, I switch the weights around, on my own, to prove his theory. I notice that the heel weight seems to slip past the locking position. Taking a closer look, I see that the weight port is plastic and it is STRIPPED. I took the head back to Golf Town on Aug 08th, they send it back to SRIXON for repair. A week later, Hans/Hanz from customer service phones me from Vancouver, BC and tries to convince me that it's normal. I'm a ret. building mecanics thechnician (mini ing.) and I am in a position to convince HIM that it is NOT NORMAL. He agrees to replace the driver BUT, I have to send everything back (shaft, wieghts, wrench, headcover ect..) so, I negociate...Golf Town is an authorized SRIXON/Cleveland dealer, I will bring what he wants back when I pick up the new driver, I spent $512.65 (incl tx) and already I'm without it for two weeks. He replies: NO, they must have the whole driver in hand before they can issue a replacement...!

Fast forward to Sept 08, it's been a month, 4 tourneys later. I'm gaming my Z-rw (re-gripped and lenghten 1"). I get the call to pick up my Z-Star. I went straight from the pro/repair shop to the cashier, put the driver on the counter and got my $512.65 back!!!!!!!! What if in two years, the housing strips. Is it still under warranty? (Like PING tuning weights in the "S" line of irons...I game S-58 and I asked).

It's a great, wonderfull driver BUT, IMO, customer service is at the bottom of the pit...And, for that reason: I'm out...From that day on, SRIXON and I are OFFICIALLY DIVORCED!

End of rant!

PS: I won't dare go Cleveland either.

Man, sorry to hear that. I have mine dialed in and am very happy with the club. Sorry it didn't work out for you but glad to hear you got your money back.

Not sure how it stripped, It only goes a 1/4 turn and stops, kinda weird for sure. I had the toe of my Zstar cave in, they replaced it with no problem. Sorry you had so much trouble

Not sure how it stripped, It only goes a 1/4 turn and stops, kinda weird for sure. I had the toe of my Zstar cave in, they replaced it with no problem. Sorry you had so much trouble

Yeah taht is very weird. I have used about 12 of these drivers and I am not even sure how the screw strips with only going a quarter of a turn. Anything is possible if the wrench is not put in there properly or something else. I watched someone at demo day, put the wrench in at an angle and try to "pop" it out. You could see it stripping that way I guess.

Yeah taht is very weird. I have used about 12 of these drivers and I am not even sure how the screw strips with only going a quarter of a turn. Anything is possible if the wrench is not put in there properly or something else. I watched someone at demo day, put the wrench in at an angle and try to "pop" it out. You could see it stripping that way I guess.

I was just thinking it was such a small turn that there really wouldnt be enough force to damage anything, maybe the wrench failed and let it twist beyond limit. I could see it happening at a angle though.

Back