TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

good stuff Esox!
Played today with the new Tour Wrap grips on my CBs. Much better feel. I have such a better hold on the club than with the VDRs I replaced. I stayed connected much better today on most swings, and hit some really nice mid and long iron shots. Very encouraging. I hit a 5i well over the green when it was 182 to a back pin. Hit a couple short irons long, too. These clubs do not offer the forgiveness needed to get away with "slappy" swings, but a solidly connected move back and through the ball and these babies shine. Giving them another try tomorrow on a course I've never played. I'm going to need to rethink distances if I stay connected like I did for a decent part of today's round.Kevin

Esox - I'm glad you're feeling comfortable again with the longer irons. I also found that a grip change (I went from Tour Velvet to New Decade on my CBs) made a huge difference in my ability to hit them well. I was really having trouble finding my target with any of the irons before the grip change. I was 15 degrees left OR right pretty regularly. Put on the New Decades and my shot dispersion decreased dramatically and I increased my length as well.

If I want to have more fun sometime, I'll swap out the shafts for the ones you're using on the CBs. I really want to put the Nippons on these CBs in a bad way.

Havent had much luck off of the deck with my 4I and 5I, but I was pounding that 5I and even my 6I off of the tee yesterday. If I can get similar results off of the deck, I will be in much better shape

I Finally was able to take my new CB irons out after work. The first couple of shots were great! I was listening to my Ipod and then for some reason I got the shanks not good:( So after about bad 20 shots I took off my Ipod to get serious. Then took a bunch a practice swings with out hitting a ball. I got the shanks worked out. I think I just needed to get used to the weight of a balanced golf club. The r7 CBG Max irons I had before had a humongous heads. I was worried for a bit that I might have made a mistake with these new clubs. Then I started to hit some more balls and was striping the ball right were I was aiming. Wow when you make contact with these clubs the feeling is just magical. Since my last set of clubs were GI clubs I think I lost anywhere from 5-10 yard distance. With these clubs I find my self not swinging as hard at the ball just to make solid contact. I normally only hit one large bucket of balls when I am at the range. I was hitting these irons so well that I got another large bucket. At the end of the second bucked I was so pleased with these irons. I can't wait until Sunday when I take these to the course.

Glad to hear you are liking these. These deliver a great feel off the face of clean shots but they will slowly teach you about what you are doing wrong on poor shots. I also came to the CB's from a set of GI irons and although I had difficulty at first this set has helped shave 5 strokes off my game so far this season.

Today I finally took my New Irons to the course. I played at Summit Pointe golf club in Milpitas, CA. We played from the white Tees. 6193 yards with slope 131. I shot an 85 today best round in the past Month! My driver was on today I hit 9/14 fairways but only 3/18 greens in regulation and had 32 putts. I was coming up short on most of my approach shots. I was trying to make a good swing and did not really hit the ball. The ball flight was straighter than my old irons. I think I just need to trust my swing and not try to baby the shots. I noticed that when on Par 3 if I tee the ball up the ball goes very high.I feel that when get use to these irons I think I can really improve my Handicap. Had 2 excellent drives today one 302 and the other 325 (cart path Bounce).

Today I finally took my New Irons to the course. I played at Summit Pointe golf club in Milpitas, CA. We played from the white Tees. 6193 yards with slope 131. I shot an 85 today best round in the past Month! My driver was on today I hit 9/14 fairways but only 3/18 greens in regulation and had 32 putts. I was coming up short on most of my approach shots. I was trying to make a good swing and did not really hit the ball. The ball flight was straighter than my old irons. I think I just need to trust my swing and not try to baby the shots. I noticed that when on Par 3 if I tee the ball up the ball goes very high.I feel that when get use to these irons I think I can really improve my Handicap. Had 2 excellent drives today one 302 and the other 325 (cart path Bounce).

sounds like you have a winner!! Im sure over time you will dial in the distances with the clubs and that will cut down on how many green you are short on

I see in some recent posts that people are changing grips and that has been very beneficial. Have a lot of people changed their grips. My last couple of times hitting them I did feel that something with a little more shock absorption would be nice.

Here is a copy of my golf logics score card
633da666-8558-8580.jpg

I got another practice range session in with these tonight. Gaining more confidence with every swing. Can't wait to play this weekend.

I see in some recent posts that people are changing grips and that has been very beneficial. Have a lot of people changed their grips. My last couple of times hitting them I did feel that something with a little more shock absorption would be nice.

I havent, maybe Im not good enough to notice lol

I recently got my hands on these babies and I can say that I'm extremely impressed thus far with the 3 rounds that I have had with them. I personaly haven't seen any noticable distance loss on flush shots which is great. I really love the feel and balance of these as they do provide instant feedback which I like a lot. I didn't try a huge amount of different irons when making the decission on these, but the feeling off the club face just kept bringing me back and putting a big smile on my face. I choose decade multi compounds grips as I felt the stock grips just didn't quite cut it for me. I'm not one to try and work the ball, but I found them to be relatively easy to move around. I had several shots last round that I had to work a fade which I generally find harder to do and was able to do it at will. Standing over the club they do really inspire confidence, I cant put my finger on why yet, they just do. Looking forward to putting many more rounds on them this summer and working on my game.

I recently got my hands on these babies and I can say that I'm extremely impressed thus far with the 3 rounds that I have had with them. I personaly haven't seen any noticable distance loss on flush shots which is great. I really love the feel and balance of these as they do provide instant feedback which I like a lot. I didn't try a huge amount of different irons when making the decission on these, but the feeling off the club face just kept bringing me back and putting a big smile on my face. I choose decade multi compounds grips as I felt the stock grips just didn't quite cut it for me. I'm not one to try and work the ball, but I found them to be relatively easy to move around. I had several shots last round that I had to work a fade which I generally find harder to do and was able to do it at will. Standing over the club they do really inspire confidence, I cant put my finger on why yet, they just do. Looking forward to putting many more rounds on them this summer and working on my game.

Really glad you like these as well. Good luck on your rounds and hopefully get ready to watch your HC drop.

played yesterday, irons were awesome, hoping tomorrow is the same,and maybe with better chipping my score will reflect it

Going to hit these again this weekend along with the R11's and another OEM. After this weekend I will have a solid pick for new irons. Really love how the CB's feel and the price dropped at GG.

Going to hit these again this weekend along with the R11's and another OEM. After this weekend I will have a solid pick for new irons. Really love how the CB's feel and the price dropped at GG.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the comparison between the R11's and CB's, unfortunately they weren't available when I was looking for new irons.

Also wondering the difference between the CB's and R11's. Got a chance to hit the CB's at the range and for a round and found them to be very forgiving. I was toeing the ball a bit at the range and noticed i did not loose much distance at all. Would like to get a chance to try the R11's before i purchase the CB's as I am pretty much sold on the CB's. Thanks for all the great reviews.

These clubs looks great. Does anyone know what range of handicap they are reccomended for ?

0-20 range for HC. I wouldn't let that be a major factor in purchase though.

Might be an epic skim but if you really like these in place of the R11's especially with the price drop you should jump on them. They won't be around much longer

Whats the difference between CB and R11 irons

0-20 range for HC. I wouldn't let that be a major factor in purchase though.

+1... I was a 24 handicap when I bought my CB's and wasn't afraid of choosing the wrong iron because I was fitted for them and hit them with great ease. They have helped me drop to a 19HC in just one season. Don't let the fact that some HC parameters were put on them. If you are a good iron striker you shouldn't have a problem with them. If irons are the worst part of your game you will struggle. I considered my iron play to be the best part of my game before buying these and they have helped my iron game even more now. Needless to say, when you hit a bad shot you will know it, and when you hit a good shot, boy will you know it. These irons will not mask poor shots like some GI irons will, they will expose your weaknesses and if you want, can make you a better iron player.

Whats the difference between CB and R11 irons

The biggest difference that TM is preaching is distance and forgiveness. The CB's also have a forged face. I'm sur if you head over to the R11 iron review thread you will get a lot of feedback. The R11 is also to be said to fall in between the 2.0 and CB lines.

Just got home from Golf Galaxy, I hit the CB's again as well as the R11's. Both clubs are almost identical with the R11 having more of a cavity back on it. Feel, the R11 felt better but just by a tad, I mean a tad. Distance was almost the same but I had more control with the CB's. The R11 today was averaging with roll on a simulator 180 yards. Long being 186. The CB's were averaging 176. Last weekend I was only getting 172 with the R11 so who knows, its a simulator. I am going to a local range soon to hit the R11's on grass just to see but overall its a coin flip between these 2 irons. Both great irons and the CB's are a $100 cheaper new but you cant go wrong with either. For me, the R11's are a tad more forgiving but I would think any average golfer can play the CB's with no problems.

So yesterday I hit a wayward drive on a par 5 was off of the right in the Rough. It was on an uphill and the rough was just hard dirt. I took out my 4 iron to drive the ball back into the fairway. I hit a great shot and ended up 135yds from the pin. I was excited and then I looked down and the head of my club and now have 2 Scratches.

DAMN that sucks.

With these clubs I find that I can hit the long irons pretty good so I decided to add a 3iron to my set. After a long day at work I came home I was surprised to a package from Taylormade sitting on the Couch. The Club was not supposed to arrive until Sept 28th! I can't wait to take it to the course on Saturday.

Good stuff Vince...kinda disagree with you on this point though. I think the 'average golfer' in most circumstances would require a little more forgiveness than what the CB's offer. Misses with the CB's are punished more than what an average golfer may be used to or even want

Just got home from Golf Galaxy, I hit the CB's again as well as the R11's. Both clubs are almost identical with the R11 having more of a cavity back on it. Feel, the R11 felt better but just by a tad, I mean a tad. Distance was almost the same but I had more control with the CB's. The R11 today was averaging with roll on a simulator 180 yards. Long being 186. The CB's were averaging 176. Last weekend I was only getting 172 with the R11 so who knows, its a simulator. I am going to a local range soon to hit the R11's on grass just to see but overall its a coin flip between these 2 irons. Both great irons and the CB's are a $100 cheaper new but you cant go wrong with either. For me, the R11's are a tad more forgiving but I would think any average golfer can play the CB's with no problems.

Back