Pure Shot Forum Testing Review Thread

Agreed 100%, when I took it out this last weekend I had to try and slow my swing down. I found myself concentrating more on the face and the ball then I every have before and slowing my swing down really helped me with that.

For me I really had to concentrate on a slow short swing and get the face on the ball correctly. The first thing I noticed this time as a lower ball flight but I was able to keep the ball straighter than I had previously. When I put a good swing on the ball it didn't always result in a good shot because my impact was still off.

I feel more confused now than I did before I started using the PureShot. I haven't had a chance to take my game to the course yet, but this time I was able to at least hit my real driver after this pureshot range session and man was I confused and I didn't have any confidence at all. I'm almost considering hitting 3 wood off of the tees during my next round. I had more pulls and slight draws than I ever had before, so on bright side my huge push slice is slowly going away, but I just don't feel confident hitting the ball. But there was a little bit of dew on the ground I could really tell on the face of my driver that my impact point was closer to the center of the face than I had seen it previously.

I've got two range session under my belt now and I think I'm getting a feel for the pureshot, but haven't figured out the perfect combination between it and my gamer.

Sorry for the lack of pics and video, hopefully I'll get someone to golf with me next time.

Edit: Sorry I wanted to answer these questions that were posed:
What kind of golfer it is for? High or Low Handicap - Both, I think everyone could get benefit from it, but the higher handicaps would need more time to get into a groove with it.
How to correct mistakes that it gives you feed back for? I think the slowing down and concentrating on the face at impact really helps to help groove that impact point.
Is it really better than impact tape on your regular driver? I've never used impact tape except during fittings, but I find the tape really easy to use. I'm hoping to get some to use for comparison so hopefully I'll have a better view on this later.
How can you translate sweet spot results from the Pure Shot to your regular driver on the course? I think once you are able to groove that impact point it will translate to your regular driver, eventually!

I agree on all points - just concerned that some people - regardless of handicap, high or low would get really frustrated and junk it right off the bat.

I'm going to go against the grain here as I have used it both pre round, and to beat balls with at the range. I personally like using before going to the course. MOST of this is probably mental, but when I go after the ball with the Pure Shot and hit several in a row on the sweet spot, my confidence soars. I kind of liken the product to soft toss or tee work I guess for those with a baseball background. Those aren't the same as live BP or in game at bats, but they force you to get the bat through the zone and focus on contact. To me this does the same thing. While it isn't exactly the same as hitting my driver, it mimics it and even forces me to do things correctly at impact. Now I agree that the club doesn't exactly tell me what I did wrong, but as somewhat of a feel player, I can 'feel' when my contact point is off. It is then up to me to correct it. This is why I think it is better for a low handicapper as well as better than impact tape. Again for the baseball analogy, if anyone out there has used a 'short bat' or a heavy bat for soft toss, this is a similar too IMO.

What happens if you use it before the round and go after a few and dont hit the sweet spot? Does your confidence plummet?

What happens if you use it before the round and go after a few and dont hit the sweet spot? Does your confidence plummet?

Luckily, that hasn't happened yet as I have either had time to stay on the range till it felt right, or yesterday when I was somewhat rushed, I hit about 8 of 10 really well. It's a great question and I'm sure you are right. Until yesterday, I did plan on that happening and got to the range about an hour before tee time to work things out.

And again - I understand this isn't realistic for myself or for most people. We don't often have an hour like the pros do (or more) to beat balls till we feel good then go off and play. In that sense and scenario, I can definitely see my confidence dropping fast.

Another interesting thing to mention yesterday was I gave my girlfriend the option of trying it out before our round. She has broken 100 before and yesterday shot a 45 on the front- thus she is not exactly a beginner. She took 3 practice swings with it, looked at the face and commented " I'm afraid to hit this... I think I might hurt someone." That probably isn't a good thing.....

I took this to the range again today. Went to the range before a round with my roommate, he has been very interested in this product since I told him about it. I pulled out my driver and warmed up. I am out of impact tape, need to go by the shop and pick up some more, but it felt like I hit all but one in the center. But I've noticed that anything close to the sweet spot feels good to me. I then pulled out the Pure Shot, and hit 4 of the first 5 on the sweet spot. I was having much more luck with it than I did in my first experience. I hit a total of 15-20 shots, and hit center on 75% or more of attempts. LIke Ghsace said gave me a ton of confidence going into my round. I then pulled my driver back out, and hit 3 great shots. Put it away and moved to my hybrid and irons, satisfied I was going to have a great round with the driver.

My roommate then asked to hit it, and of course I allowed him to. He struggles with the driver, hits a huge slice and alot of poor shots. He took a few swings, which were all over the place, and handed it back to me. When I asked for his overall impression, he said he thought it was gimmicky, and felt nothing like his normal driver.

Unfortunately the confidence didn't help me out at all. After hitting the ball great yesterday, I struggled with the driver today.

I still think this can be a useful tool to someone, but I think offering a stiff offering would be very helpful. I already like to use impact tape at the range, so I am well aware I don't hit the sweet spot as often as I would like, but the instant feedback is nice, and helpful. Right now I don't feel like using this product is having an negative impact on my swing, but the flex is keeping it from having a positive impact.

I took this to the range again today. Went to the range before a round with my roommate, he has been very interested in this product since I told him about it. I pulled out my driver and warmed up. I am out of impact tape, need to go by the shop and pick up some more, but it felt like I hit all but one in the center. But I've noticed that anything close to the sweet spot feels good to me. I then pulled out the Pure Shot, and hit 4 of the first 5 on the sweet spot. I was having much more luck with it than I did in my first experience. I hit a total of 15-20 shots, and hit center on 75% or more of attempts. LIke Ghsace said gave me a ton of confidence going into my round. I then pulled my driver back out, and hit 3 great shots. Put it away and moved to my hybrid and irons, satisfied I was going to have a great round with the driver.

My roommate then asked to hit it, and of course I allowed him to. He struggles with the driver, hits a huge slice and alot of poor shots. He took a few swings, which were all over the place, and handed it back to me. When I asked for his overall impression, he said he thought it was gimmicky, and felt nothing like his normal driver.

Unfortunately the confidence didn't help me out at all. After hitting the ball great yesterday, I struggled with the driver today.

I still think this can be a useful tool to someone, but I think offering a stiff offering would be very helpful. I already like to use impact tape at the range, so I am well aware I don't hit the sweet spot as often as I would like, but the instant feedback is nice, and helpful. Right now I don't feel like using this product is having an negative impact on my swing, but the flex is keeping it from having a positive impact.

Good thoughts Wakerider. It's interesting about his choice of words - "gimmicky" as that is nearly exactly what my gf said. I agree about the shaft too. I think if they offered a similar shaft to regular driver shafts, or allowed people to chose their own shaft, people could justify paying $150. But probably not how its packaged now.

What kind of golfer it is for? High or Low Handicap

Don't think it matters, anyone who struggles with hitting the sweet spot on their driver.
How to correct mistakes that it gives you feed back for?

You have to have some idea of what changes to make, or be working with some kind of swing coach.
Is it really better than impact tape on your regular driver?
The instant feedback is nice, but not being the same specs as your normal driver is the downside
How can you translate sweet spot results from the Pure Shot to your regular driver on the course?
You are able to experiment with what works and what doesn't, while having instant feedback on what works and what doesn't. I haven't had too much problem transitioning back and foth

My question to the testers and other forum members is, since we don't have a DVD or manual with the club-

What the best method or process to use this club at the range to increase your sweet spot accuracy percentage? Do you think one should just hit ball after ball to get better? Should one switch between Pure Shot and regular driver? Should one slow down their swing to hit the sweet spot more and then increase slightly till at full speed?
I have had poor experiences in the past with slowing my swing down, throws my timing off. I have been going back and forth between the clubs. I think using the Pure shot for too long of a period without switching, could lead to grooving a swing that won't work with your gamer.

I am trying to build up a training program for me with this club and hope to see results in the end. I just wanted to see if anybody had ideas to implement into my plan. Thanks, DMB

What kind of golfer it is for? High or Low Handicap

Don't think it matters, anyone who struggles with hitting the sweet spot on their driver.
How to correct mistakes that it gives you feed back for?

You have to have some idea of what changes to make, or be working with some kind of swing coach.
Is it really better than impact tape on your regular driver?
The instant feedback is nice, but not being the same specs as your normal driver is the downside
How can you translate sweet spot results from the Pure Shot to your regular driver on the course?
You are able to experiment with what works and what doesn't, while having instant feedback on what works and what doesn't. I haven't had too much problem transitioning back and foth

My question to the testers and other forum members is, since we don't have a DVD or manual with the club-

What the best method or process to use this club at the range to increase your sweet spot accuracy percentage? Do you think one should just hit ball after ball to get better? Should one switch between Pure Shot and regular driver? Should one slow down their swing to hit the sweet spot more and then increase slightly till at full speed?
I have had poor experiences in the past with slowing my swing down, throws my timing off. I have been going back and forth between the clubs. I think using the Pure shot for too long of a period without switching, could lead to grooving a swing that won't work with your gamer.

I am trying to build up a training program for me with this club and hope to see results in the end. I just wanted to see if anybody had ideas to implement into my plan. Thanks, DMB

I think this is true after this afternoons range session. I will post a full report once the video gets uploaded and I eat.

Testing Date: 9/26/2011
Product: Pure Shot Driver
Conditions: 80 degrees and over cast day. No wind.

I made it out to the range today to get some time in with the Pure Shot driver. I warmed up a bit with my irons. At my range there is a well box about 115 out. I like to warm up by hitting at it. It is a lot of fun when you stick it and get the big bang! HAHA I moved on to some 7 irons for a bit too. After I finished with the irons for warm up, I moved on to my driver, the Razr Hawk. I think I hit about 10 to 15 balls with it. The Razr Hawk was working for me. I got some impact tape in the mail today and all my shots where either on the sweet spot or barley off towards the toe. That is one of my favorite features of the Razr Hawk, the forgiveness on the toe. The shots were either going dead straight or had a little draw to them. Stuff I can live with.

After hitting the Hawk for a bit, I pulled out the Pure Shot. I have some video of all of this, but it is uploading now. I will post it later, once it gets uploaded. The first shot with the Pure Shot was a hard draw. Not the best start. I then hit one dead straight down the range. I started to get the groove with the driver. After two of three balls, I was just hitting the sweet spot or not to far off. Not enough to give the exaggerated flight for missing. I think you can really start to focus with this driver and hit the sweet spot about every time. I could really tell a difference when I slowed my tempo down and hit it on the screws over and over. One thing about the Pure Shot was it would remind you very quickly when you get lazy and don’t hit it right. I think I hit a few of these shots during my session today. I noticed this happening more and more as I grew tired towards the end of my session.

After hitting a fair amount of balls with the Pure Shot, I moved back to the Hawk. I don’t know what happened then. I could not hit a solid shot to save my life. I don’t know if I was just tired or it was differences in drivers. I kept hitting the ball out on the toe and sending the ball dead left. I got frustrated and cut off the video at this point. I went back to some low irons to rest a bit and to get a different swing going. Once I was hitting it good, I pulled the Hawk back out. It took me about 2-3 balls to get back on the horse. I then was able to start grooving with the Hawk again. I really got nervous for a bit, since I have never seen hooks like that out of the Hawk.

This session I had this afternoon really confirms it to me, to not warm up with the Pure Shot. Even though I was able to hit some good shots with it and build my confidence. It was really hard going to back my regular driver and hit good shots. Today after I used the Pure Shot were some of the worst shots I have seen out of the Hawk. It sorta scared me.

This really is making it hard for me to find a training plan for the Pure Shot. I love it when I take it out to the range and get in a groove with it. I can get were I hit the sweet spot over and over. I think try to switch back over to my driver and get bad results out of that. That is very frustrating and I don’t want to loose my confidence in my regular driver. That is the one that makes the scores on the course. I am going to ponder on how to implement the Pure Shot in to my range routine. I really think it is a great concept, but don’t want to have to groove a swing with each driver while at the range. I am not sure if the shaft differences are causing the problems, weighting issues or length. I plan to continue trying to use the Pure Shot at the range sessions. I really don’t want to warm up with the club. I think that could mess up a round. I will have to find a way to use it and then switch back to my regular driver, with out the hiccups in-between. Maybe if I go to and iron first, I will try that on my next range session.

All in all, I am pretty frustrated with today's range session. I was hitting my driver good and then moved to the Pure Shot. I then struggled with my driver and had to get myself swinging again with it. I think could just work with my regular driver and see the same results in the end. Thanks for reading my ramblings on my range session today. DMB

I think the only reason I can hit this club successfully is because of slowing down my swing. I almost feel like I'm swinging in slow motion but after watching my video back I clearly am not. So now I'm thinking if anything this club is helping me get a good tempo on the range, which COULD be a benefit before a round. It could help me get relaxed and get started on a good tempo.

Like it or not, you all are doing a solid job of showing us this product. Thanks.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Good reviews so far everyone. I love the videos and I am quite impressed I havent seen too many peeelers. I would expect if I had this thing I would be peeling balls. Maybe its working, maybe its causing you all to focus a little more on really hitting the sweet spot. Funny thing, I think this might be a club or training aid that helps you without you really realizing it
I am not testing it but I think for me, it would help me focus more on hitting the center of the face. So, maybe its just working on your focus and fundamentals. also.....repetition!
I was/am part of the crowd that is skeptical of this or wasn't sure exactly what this really does. But those are some valid points, One-T. Maybe a similar thing could be achieved with one of the original metal drivers with the small heads. Might also be easier to get a similar setup to what you are using now since you should be able to pick up one of those older drivers for next to nothing.

Like it or not, you all are doing a solid job of showing us this product. Thanks.
I am enjoying this thread too.

Guys I've really enjoyed this thread. Great bunch of testers who have definitely brought up both sides of a nice debate. Great stuff in here! For me I need something that will instill confidence and I just don't see this doing it for me.

Here is the video from yesterday at the range. Enjoy!

great job dmb, loved being able to see the ball flight and results from your player after using the PS.

great job dmb, loved being able to see the ball flight and results from your player after using the PS.

Thanks man. I just have to figure out how to implement this thing in to my range time. I don't want to hurt my gamer, but I would like get better accuracy.

Great video DMB - really appreciated the way you were telling us what you were seeing and how everything felt. That was a nasty little transition from the Pure Shot to your primary driver.

I am just still not seeing how the Pure Shot is translating back to a normal driver. Shaft or length transition causing you to go off of the toe after making the change? I would be a bit confused for sure after going through what you did on video.

Some really good feedback everybody.

Great video DMB - really appreciated the way you were telling us what you were seeing and how everything felt. That was a nasty little transition from the Pure Shot to your primary driver.

I am just still not seeing how the Pure Shot is translating back to a normal driver. Shaft or length transition causing you to go off of the toe after making the change? I would be a bit confused for sure after going through what you did on video.

I don't understand your question.

I don't understand your question.

Is there a shaft length difference between your primary driver and the Pure Shot that could be causing the issues of hitting it off the toe? If not, could it be a shaft flex issue causing it?

Is there a shaft length difference between your primary driver and the Pure Shot that could be causing the issues of hitting it off the toe? If not, could it be a shaft flex issue causing it?

Thanks man. I am not a 100% sure about the length. When you line up it does feel a bit shorter. I know the Razr Hawk is 46", but don't know about the Pure Shot 100%. I will measure it when I get home to make sure. The flex issue could be the problem too. I do not know what the flex on the Pure Shots are suppose to be. Maybe JB knows. The flex on my Razr Hawk is a stiff shaft. I could imagine length issue or shaft flex issue could cause me to hit towards the toe. On of the biggest issues I was having was closing the face on the ball. I think this might be more of a weighting issue or flex issue. One other thing might be an offset difference between the two drivers. I think the Pure Shot has more offset than the Razr.

Makes sense - thanks for the answer. I could see how it could be hard going back and forth and what you are describing above about length/flex was one of the things that JB eluded to when he first took it out to the range I believe.

I'm coming in on the back end of this conversation but if your razr hawk is 46 and the pureshot is 45 or 44, you are standing in your regular driver position. Move an inch closer or so and the toe jams should go away.

Kongfrontation

Back