MLB 2011 season (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they clearly had their hand on the panic button. So they were going to be looking at Lackey or Wakefield on short rest, Bruce Chen, or seeing if Buckholz could make a spot start. At least now they can ponder Bruce Chen all offseason

They could have used Bruce Chen last night - he threw 8 scoreless innings. Pretty sad when you have to consider bringing in a guy to pitch in a game which would have determined whether or not you get to participate in the postseason.

What a night in baseball.......I was flipping back and forth as fast as I could. Special night indeed.

Last edited:
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Terry Francona won't be coming back to manage the Red Sox: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/manager-terry-francona-expected-to-part-ways-with-red-sox-092911

F
rom some reports, it sounds like he lost control of some of the players on that team in the clubhouse. What stinks is that he's a good manager, I'd prefer to get rid of the malcontents and keep Francona, but things don't work that way. The team does need a significant makeover before next year, it's bad enough that they stunk over the last month of the year, but they also became incredibly unlikable in this city for how they played.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Terry Francona won't be coming back to manage the Red Sox: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/manager-terry-francona-expected-to-part-ways-with-red-sox-092911

F
rom some reports, it sounds like he lost control of some of the players on that team in the clubhouse. What stinks is that he's a good manager, I'd prefer to get rid of the malcontents and keep Francona, but things don't work that way. The team does need a significant makeover before next year, it's bad enough that they stunk over the last month of the year, but they also became incredibly unlikable in this city for how they played.

The team was to blame 110% not him. Those players were so full of themselves it wasnt even funny.

The team was to blame 110% not him. Those players were so full of themselves it wasnt even funny.

especially big baby John Lackey

Well said here. As much as I don't like the Red Sox (I'm a Yankees fan), I think Francona is a standup guy and deserves to stay. A good number of the players on that team however need to go.

F

I heard an interview with Rosenthal on Weds afternoon and he was saying that he didn't think Francona was coming back to the Sox next year, esp if they missed the playoffs. He also mentioned that if they made the playoffs and had an early exit it would probably be the same end game for him.

Well said here. As much as I don't like the Red Sox (I'm a Yankees fan), I think Francona is a standup guy and deserves to stay. A good number of the players on that team however need to go.

I am hoping he ends up in STL. Since Ozzie left the Chi Sox I think LaRussa goes back to where it started to move into 2nd all time on the managers win list. If he does it would make sense for Francona to end up in Saint Louis and I would love that.

He's awful manager. He was terrible with the Phils and he 'cared for' (not managed) the Red Sawx who won despite his ineptness

F

exactamundo

so do I beacuase that will make StL even worse lol

I am hoping he ends up in STL. Since Ozzie left the Chi Sox I think LaRussa goes back to where it started to move into 2nd all time on the managers win list. If he does it would make sense for Francona to end up in Saint Louis and I would love that.

Not sure how Francona could be considered a bad manager.. 6/8 90+ win seasons and two rings in that 8 year span.. I think most teams would take that

lol @ the Red Sox. You get the feeling that they believed that they should have won title just because they spent the money. Regardless of effort or desire. Look at the teams who did make the post season. The Rays and Cardinals both stepped up and put in the extra sweat. The Red Sox need to realize that when you buy players, you rarely win. Developing a strong core of players and filling a few spots with free agents, that's how to win.

lol @ the Red Sox. You get the feeling that they believed that they should have won title just because they spent the money. Regardless of effort or desire. Look at the teams who did make the post season. The Rays and Cardinals both stepped up and put in the extra sweat. The Red Sox need to realize that when you buy players, you rarely win. Developing a strong core of players and filling a few spots with free agents, that's how to win.

Agree with this for the most part. You can buy players and win, but you have to induce some team unity. This team didnt play together from day one and thats the problem. You cant just throw 9 superstars on the field and expect them to win. The Cardinals dont have the best team at all, but they have heart and they play as a unit. The Red Sox just seemed to be lacking that, and part of that can be coaching, but at the end of the day the people who get paid all that money should get it done.

Most people around baseball know that Varitek was more of a manager than Francona is/was. Francona was more care-taker tha anything and the team won in spite of him. Do you think his style changed much from when he managed the Phils? no. He got better players that covered a lot of his mistakes.

Look at the Yankees during their run...do you think Torre really had to do a lot of managing? He was more of a care-taker too with those squads with Jeter being the Varitek of the Yankees. Granted Torre has forgotten more baseball than Francona will ever know but their roles are very similar

Not sure how Francona could be considered a bad manager.. 6/8 90+ win seasons and two rings in that 8 year span.. I think most teams would take that

Most people around baseball know that Varitek was more of a manager than Francona is/was. Francona was more care-taker tha anything and the team won in spite of him. Do you think his style changed much from when he managed the Phils? no. He got better players that covered a lot of his mistakes.

Look at the Yankees during their run...do you think Torre really had to do a lot of managing? He was more of a care-taker too with those squads with Jeter being the Varitek of the Yankees. Granted Torre has forgotten more baseball than Francona will ever know but their roles are very similar

There is one simularity between Francona and Torre that I never noticed. Both were National League managers with little success that went to the American League and won. Maybe the American League requires less managing than the National League, that's why both guys had success in the AL and never the same in the NL.

No, lol @ Sox and Braves fans.

Exactly Blu....

AL requires less managing than the NL. AL has the DH which means the only real changes that need to be done are changing the P....and the NL has the P which requires managing double-switches and when to do them never mind having to PH for them at the right times

There is one simularity between Francona and Torre that I never noticed. Both were National League managers with little success that went to the American League and won. Maybe the American League requires less managing than the National League, that's why both guys had success in the AL and never the same in the NL.

One thing I think Francona and Torre had in common was the way they handled the media. New York and Boston isn't an easy place to manage 2 high profile teams. Torre was great at handling the NY media. Francona seemed to be the same way during his tenure.

In both of their championship seasons, they had more players that they had developed internally. However, they have always had big-name guys that they brought in from other teams (Schilling, Ramirez, Ortiz, Beckett, etc.). It just so happens that the free agent pickups over the past 2 years haven't worked out as well as in the past. The guys that have come up through the Red Sox system were probably the best guys on the team this year: Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papelbon, and Lester (until his last month). Also, the farm system got hurt when they had to trade away 3 good prospects to get Adrian Gonzalez last season. It would have been easier to just pay Teixiera the money a couple of offseasons ago, but I digress.

One thing I think Francona and Torre had in common was the way they handled the media. New York and Boston isn't an easy place to manage 2 high profile teams. Torre was great at handling the NY media. Francona seemed to be the same way during his tenure.

This is a good point, Francona had a great relationship with the media, and had a good handle on the day-to-day pressures of managing in a city like this. He also would almost never criticize his players publicly, and that's what makes this year's team so disgusting, they decided to not take things seriously when they had such a player-friendly manager. A lot of those guys are in for a rude awakening if they hire a demanding guy as the next manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back