TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Tempo is the magical thing with these. Let that weight port do it's thing, let the shafts do their thing, take the swing back to the top and take it all the way through to the finish. Supreme distances and straight balls will follow!

I can't agree more, but I would say towards the forgiveness factor of the clubs: When I get too fast with the club, I don't have to go 10 yards deep in the trees to find my ball. I've noticed that say..instead of being almost in someone's backyard, I'm sitting just off the green, maybe outside of the greenside bunker, but not beside a pool. I've seen this type shot on multiple holes as I'm trying to get used to the clubs.

I had a similar issue with my MP-53's where I couldn't hit the 7i. I took the 6, 7 & 8 into a fitter and had them compare the loft, lie and shafts. Everything checked out and then the fitter noticed that the 7i grip was shorter than the others. It hadn't been put on properly and was thicker than the other two.

You might want to tak the 3,4,5,6 in and have them checked with someone you trust. If nothing is physically wrong with them, then maybe hearing them say, "These are good" will click in your brain mentally and get you hitting them solid.
Interesting point, thank you. These were built by the tour truck, so I know they meet the highest specs possible. I'm sure it's more of a mental thing. I'll continue to play with ball placement, alignment and tempo to get them figured out.

I can't agree more, but I would say towards the forgiveness factor of the clubs: When I get too fast with the club, I don't have to go 10 yards deep in the trees to find my ball. I've noticed that say..instead of being almost in someone's backyard, I'm sitting just off the green, maybe outside of the greenside bunker, but not beside a pool. I've seen this type shot on multiple holes as I'm trying to get used to the clubs.

hahaha, that's awesome!

hahaha, that's awesome!

Somebody over in the Future of Product Testing thread wanted honesty... LOL! FYI, it's not always bad to play a round with me, I've found that you can meet a lot of great people in their own backyards!

Seriously though, I do usually slice pretty bad when I get too fast with my swing, and I know for a fact I did that a few times yesterday (sorry OEM, didn't take your advice) and the worst thing I found was just a small amount right. Also, I found that when I went searching for my ball, it was actually where it SHOULD HAVE BEEN, and not 20 yards too far, like before.

I hit a shot (PW) from just off the fairway (left) and saw the ball come down on the right side of the green, I went hiking back to behind the green right side and couldn't find my ball. I went back to where the ball should have initially landed and WA-LAH, it was right there. I expected the ball to land and bounce forward, but it just "stuck" where it fell. That takes at least 20 minutes off my rounds! (again LOL).

Tempo is the magical thing with these. Let that weight port do it's thing, let the shafts do their thing, take the swing back to the top and take it all the way through to the finish. Supreme distances and straight balls will follow!

Ah, yes, TEMPO! Something most golfers tend to overlook, I tell myself all the time with the 2.0's to keep my tempo and just let the club work. Amazing how simple yet important it is.

I think the idea of tempo is often over looked bu so many of us. I was just watching so tape of DJ hitting balls and although hi swing is fairly stout, it has tempo. I am wondering if the input of the tour pros went into a bit of the design of these clubs?!

Quoted for accuracy. This was something very evident with the 4 iron from my first round to Saturday's round. Its been very hit and miss for me so far and I am willing to bet it had a lot to do with my set up and my tempo.

Quoted for accuracy. This was something very evident with the 4 iron from my first round to Saturday's round. Its been very hit and miss for me so far and I am willing to bet it had a lot to do with my set up and my tempo.

I mean, the more I think about it, can't we say that about every golf club? That tempo and set up is paramount for success? I think so, but i think it might even be more important with these particular irons. I'm so aware of the PWP and to me it's such a ground breaking addition to an iron. I think tempo is what makes these irons come alive.

I mean, the more I think about it, can't we say that about every golf club? That tempo and set up is paramount for success? I think so, but i think it might even be more important with these particular irons. I'm so aware of the PWP and to me it's such a ground breaking addition to an iron. I think tempo is what makes these irons come alive.

Yeah you can say that for sure. The shafts are longer on these which means you cant set up too close and I think it lends to hitting some fat shots if you get too quick.

Yeah you can say that for sure. The shafts are longer on these which means you cant set up too close and I think it lends to hitting some fat shots if you get too quick.

The stock length of these are identical to the length of my RXT's, which were built 1/2'' longer than standard, so that's been an easy transition for me. Actually, the whole process has been an easy transition really. I have an iron that's the same length, looks as good looking down at it, goes about the same length, but doesn't make me tired. I guess that's pretty good. I feel like i should throw a negative in there but hell, I even like the stock grips.

The stock length of these are identical to the length of my RXT's, which were built 1/2'' longer than standard, so that's been an easy transition for me. Actually, the whole process has been an easy transition really. I have an iron that's the same length, looks as good looking down at it, goes about the same length, but doesn't make me tired. I guess that's pretty good. I feel like i should throw a negative in there but hell, I even like the stock grips.

I dont feel like you have misled anyone up to this point. Just keeping it real, right?

I was going over my time so far with the R11's and honestly its difficult to come up with a negative. Shaft length maybe but I think that is something you get used to and not really a negative or a con of the club. I like the stock grips too.

I dont feel like you have misled anyone up to this point. Just keeping it real, right?

I was going over my time so far with the R11's and honestly its difficult to come up with a negative. Shaft length maybe but I think that is something you get used to and not really a negative or a con of the club. I like the stock grips too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Who knows, all I can think about is if I'm full of fluff or not.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Who knows, all I can think about is if I'm full of fluff or not.

I hate being full of fluff. I might try and find a negative this week on the driving range. That way Im accurate and not full of fluff.

Are you being honest? There are no negatives here and now I am skeptical. HAHAHA I kid TC. I am really glad you are liking the R11's. I know how much you liked the RXT's, so to hear you talk so glowingly about the R11's really makes me think TM has another winner here. I haven't hit them yet, but I am itching to...

tried these at last on sunday.
only hit the 6 iron but tried standard regular and stiff shafts which i have to say were way too light. changed to the DG XP S300 and felt much better.

decent feel, pretty hot off the face, very forgiving but workable. i was able to move the ball left and right with these which was surprising.

looks wise they are nice looking clubs. and distance wise nothing in it with my jpx pros.

i think i came away thinking with the right shaft these could be great clubs.

I'm interested, why were you surprised that these could move the ball left to right? I find them very easy to fade and little more difficult to draw. It can be done but I feel that the striagt ball or fade pretty much live in the face of the club

only hit the 6 iron but tried standard regular and stiff shafts which i have to say were way too light. changed to the DG XP S300 and felt much better.

decent feel, pretty hot off the face, very forgiving but workable. i was able to move the ball left and right with these which was surprising.

looks wise they are nice looking clubs. and distance wise nothing in it with my jpx pros.

I can't agree more here. I was very hit or miss, probably with more of the set than I hear you guys talk about (longer clubs). In practice sessions, I struggled with 4i, but Sunday hit it well. Seemed far more hit or miss with 6i-9i...went fat on range, thin on course (probably me over compensating)

I know this much for me, tempo = find ball way down in middle of fairway, period. (I am beginning to think you're right in saying more so with the R11s).

The stock KBS' are 15g lighter than the XP's, assuming you're talking stiff flex. That's not a whole lot really. Surprised you could tell the difference. Also, what do you mean when you say "distance wise nothing in it"? Does that mean you were seeing similar distances to your JPX's? Thanks for chiming in too. I like feedback.

Good write up guys i got out to the range today and worked on my tempo and really slowed down my swing and i was really surprised at the results. ill have a write up a little later. But good stuff so far guys.

I'm interested, why were you surprised that these could move the ball left to right? I find them very easy to fade and little more difficult to draw. It can be done but I feel that the striagt ball or fade pretty much live in the face of the club

my thinking is the more forgiving the club, the harder to work and these are pretty forgiving. i actually found them easier to draw than fade..

The stock KBS' are 15g lighter than the XP's, assuming you're talking stiff flex. That's not a whole lot really. Surprised you could tell the difference. Also, what do you mean when you say "distance wise nothing in it"? Does that mean you were seeing similar distances to your JPX's? Thanks for chiming in too. I like feedback.

yeh, i saw the numbers but the standard stiff shafts deffinitely felt a lot lighter and was very noticeable in comparison to the xp s300. distance wise they were the same as my jpx pros. ball flight was pretty similar as well.mid to high.

Does anyone know how long it takes a set to come in that were a custom order? These reviews have me too anxious. Plus my wife will be out of town this weekend so I could get some golf in if they get here Friday.

Does anyone know how long it takes a set to come in that were a custom order? These reviews have me too anxious. Plus my wife will be out of town this weekend so I could get some golf in if they get here Friday.

Can't say for positive, but I've heard they are taking a little longer due to a lot of orders... can't quote where I read that, I just remember reading it.

i havn't custom ordered anything in quite a few years (im standard loft and lie) but i did custom order my irons with cord grips from the factory 2 sets ago and i think they came in a week or 2

Can't say for positive, but I've heard they are taking a little longer due to a lot of orders... can't quote where I read that, I just remember reading it.

I ordered my custom set on September 24th and was told they wouldnt ship until Oct 12th

What setup are you looking for? Is it something you can buy from one of the big box store? I'm not how long a special order would take from Taylormade, but you can always call and ask.

Kongfrontation

Back