The Mental Side of the Game

It is extremely important, and hard to master. I am far from that point yet, but do try to work on it every time I play

i hit 2-3 bad shots on the trot and blow up it was more the fact i was angry else where but i let it effect me on the course. but i know in future to take 5 to calm down before i carry on

Golf is a game for guys with clear desks and consciences.

Since you answered your own question :D

I read Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom" and if mentally go South I try to channel it. Everyone is different though, one friend starts singing "Swinging on a Star", the old Bing Crosby tune from the Movie Hudson Hawk. The important thing is to know you mentally checked out, and learn how to check back in as quick as possible.

Mental Golf

Mental Golf

What are your best tips for good mental golf? I have regional's for my high school team on tuesday and I need to make sure I don't get down or mentally tired. What do you do to stay focused, etc.

Thanks!

I like to joke around with my playing partners to stay loose mentally. That doesn't work for some, but it just helps me stay relaxed and realize it's just a game.

I like to joke around with my playing partners to stay loose mentally. That doesn't work for some, but it just helps me stay relaxed and realize it's just a game.
Golfing with someone who talks definitely helps. But sometimes the people we golf with don't talk very much and it gets very hard to stay focused and mentally strong.

Smile. Always looks around and admire what you're doing. Always look at the brightside/challenge of the shot, weather good or bad

Imagine a blank piece of white paper. It is the best way I clear my mind.

I do two things that are totally opposite.

Sometimes I'll say to myself, "It's just golf." In other words, it is ultimately a game, and not a life or death situation.

Other times I'll say to myself, "Bring it on I want the pressure." It makes me enjoy the tense situation and attack the moment with controlled aggression.

Not enough time between now and Tuesday but for advice in the long run you should get the book "The 30 second Golf Swing". Changed my approach to a round and I plan on reading it 1-2x/year to help.

Not enough time between now and Tuesday but for advice in the long run you should get the book "The 30 second Golf Swing". Changed my approach to a round and I plan on reading it 1-2x/year to help.

That's the book my instructor gave me to read last year. Good stuff for someone who is seriously trying to improve. I need to read it again.

For me it's all about concentration/focus. I play better in competition than I do during casual round and it's because of my intensity, which comes down to my level of concentration. I simply concentrate a lot more. I kind of get lost in my own little world. lol

Read the book, "Zen Golf". Its a great book about dealing with the mental part of the game. For me, I just focus on one shot at a time and try to have a short memory when it comes to golf. You need to be able to put a bad shot or a bad hole behind you and move on as if it never happened.

Golfing with someone who talks definitely helps. But sometimes the people we golf with don't talk very much and it gets very hard to stay focused and mentally strong.

That's true, but where I am we play with one of our own teammates as well, so I make them joke and talk with me.

Read Bob Rotella, sorry can't remember title but I believe it was his first golf book, it has helped me keep it together mentally much better than I used to while playing. "The Little Green Book" by Harvey Pennick is also a book that should be read by all who compete or would like to play better golf, while I enjoyed reading it initially it took me a while before I realized just how often I thought of Harvey's teachings while playing. Definitely a stroke saver for me at times, and one of the better golf instructional books I have read.

i'm probably the last person to offer advice about "mental golf" because i struggle myself.well i'm putting it down to that,because many times this year i have been shooting really well,level par through 12,-2 through 6 etc and somehow manage to finish +6.so i end up losing so many strokes and blow up as i like to call it.

the advice i have been given which i haven't had the chance to try due to cancelled medals etc is all mental.

don't think about what you've done,just concentrate on the shot in hand,play the next shot and think about what you are going to do.try playing 6 lots of 3 holes trying to shoot as low as you can for each set of 3.stay calm,don't worry about bad shots and have good course management.in the first few holes make up your mind on how you are hitting the ball and go from there,if your not striking it so well take an extra club instead of trying to hit the full 6iron etc.

good luck fella.

I had a really bad time with this. I tried all kinds of things. Here's what I do now, on my shafts there is a label with something printed on it. I don't know what, but when I see the label I always remember my best shots are when my tempo is smooth and that settles me down and reminds me what I need to be concerned with. The rest of my setup is easy after that because I always come back to that label.

The Mental Game

The Mental Game

I recently have ran into a problem, playing well with others. I have never had this issue in all the time I have been playing and have no clue where it came from. When I go out a play a round by myself I consistently shoot in the low 80's. Put me with with a 3some of people I don't know and BAM! high 90's and even 100's. Now obviously this is all mental but I really cannot figure it out. Its become so bad this year that I will only go to the course when I know I'll be able to go out as a single. Its easy for people to say to relax, but I can tell you its not nerves. I have a very high pressure job where I have learned how to control my nerves through various techniques. Does anyone else have this issue and if so what have you done to get over it. I went out this weekend with 3 other guys and it literally looked like it was the first time I picked up clubs.
Thanks,

I have the same problem, and I think it's something to do with focus. I want to get a focus band. I think that would help me.

I get that way around my neighbor when we play. I play great with people I don't know, or by myself, but with him, I am constantly in the high 80's. It could be the fact that he is an unsolicited advise-giver, and always trying to correct something in my swing mid round.

More talking, more distractions, mistakes from trying too hard, feeling rushed if one of the guys plays extremely fast. I have the same problem when I try to play in any kind of stroke play individual tournament. I can play great on the same golf course one day and then play it 10 shots worse the next under pressure. Wish I knew the answer, other than just play more in that situation. Playing under even a little pressure is almost like starting all over again, learning how to play again, in some ways.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a .... nvr mind

I am not saying this applies to you or anyone else but just a couple of passing thoughts

1) concentrate more on swinging freely and getting to the other side more so than hitting the ball
2) don't think about what they might be thinking, you'll be wrong 99.99999999% of the time anyways .... if they are guys, they are thinking about sex, NOT YOU! It's not always about you :)
3) don't be concerned about 'what the others will think of you' ... your golf swing and your golf score have no relationship to you as a person - they aren't judging your character based on your swing/score - besides if they are 3 you never met before, and might never see again anyway, who cares
4) try to capture that FEELING you have when you are playing alone and swinging freely, repeat that

Back