Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

I don't know about the sole 100%. I go back and forth on it.

On one had, it's really good from the rough. I also think that the long and mid irons really work well with the thinner sole. I struggled with my 6 and 7 iron more than any other clubs in the Redline set, but that just isn't the case with the V2's.

On the other hand, I do see what I think are some negative effects with the PW. I could use a little more slide and little less dig some days. Keep in mind that this is coming from somebody who'd primary miss is slightly behind the ball.

This is the reason why I do not like using the PW around the green. There is very little bounce in it from what I have seen, and tends to dig straight in, rather than slide on the turf and scoop the ball.

Thx War. I am in between a sweeper and digger. I usually take a med to small divot. Sounds like the lead edge can grab a little, does that sound right?

That is correct.

Thx War. I am in between a sweeper and digger. I usually take a med to small divot. Sounds like the lead edge can grab a little, does that sound right?

It will cut rather than bounce, that's for sure. In reality, it's not a bad thing if you hit the ball first. It's actually a good thing and won't negatively effect a good shot. However, if you are behind the ball you will most likely miss up on the face. That fact, in addition to the ground slowing the club down, will result in a distance loss. Since I'm testing these long term I really have no choice but to work on that miss.

It will cut rather than bounce, that's for sure. In reality, it's not a bad thing if you hit the ball first. It's actually a good thing and won't negatively effect a good shot. However, if you are behind the ball you will most likely miss up on the face. That fact, in addition to the ground slowing the club down, will result in a distance loss. Since I'm testing these long term I really have no choice but to work on that miss.

Right on Hawk. What you are referring to about ball first is where I am discovering how forgiveness on the face can be thrown out the window if not matched to the right floor on the club.

Excellent work guys! So, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most forgiving the forgiveness is...?

I would say the forgiveness is a 3. On par with other irons in this catagory.

Thanks guys, helps me understand these a little better. Coming to a revelation of sorts about forgiveness in another testing thread. It's been touched on a couple times, but how is the sole design working out? That can be half the battle in terms of forgiveness since irons are hit off the ground most of the time.

You guys are doing great and I'm sure it's been covered to a point. Just want to pick your brains. :D

I think the sole design works well when I am "on" but can be challenging when I am not swinging the club particuarly well. I tend to sweep the ball a bit and so when I am striking the ball where I should be the turf interaction is great. If I get lazy are start to hit these fat and I take so much turf that I lose a lot of distance.

Something that I keep forgetting to post just came to mind while I was writing another review -

Howzat mentioned some concern about the top line potentially causing some glare issues. I didn't really think much of it until yesterday when the sun was directly overhead. I did get a flash of glare that was a bit blinding. The chrome finish looks spectacular, but it does cause some glare if the sun is in just the right position.

I would say the forgiveness is a 3. On par with other irons in this catagory.

I think the sole design works well when I am "on" but can be challenging when I am not swinging the club particuarly well. I tend to sweep the ball a bit and so when I am striking the ball where I should be the turf interaction is great. If I get lazy are start to hit these fat and I take so much turf that I lose a lot of distance.

Thanks Howzat! Your opinion is pretty much in line with what the other guys have been saying. Great testing fellas.

10/3/11 - Driving Range
87* - Beautiful afternoon, slight breeze.

Hit the range yesterday afternoon to work on a few things with my game, one of them being trying to gain consistency with my distance with the V2s. I mentioned earlier that my distances often vary when hitting these irons.

I started off with the 8 iron, this has been my go to club out of the V2s, I am comfortable with it, and I usually get solid distance out of it, typically get it to 150 yards. I decided to take 10 balls, and really analyze myself to see if I could pinpoint what was causing my inconsistent shots. So I hit 10 balls, I caught one thin that when no where, of the other 9, I hit 6 that were short of 150 and 3 that carried decently past the 150 marker. I felt that my swing was repetitive, my divots all looked similar, and the feel of the shots (excluding my thin shot) all felt great, just lacking distance. My shots were all relatively on line, going dead straight at my target so I know I am not missing on the toe or the heel, but I believe where I am struggling is that I am hitting into the ground first, then hitting the ball too high up on the face. Obviously, hitting the ball that way would give me a significant distance loss. I have stated since I got the V2s that the leading edge can cut through the turf with great ease, and I now believe that I am hitting deeper into the ground first and not hitting the ball with the center of the club face.

So, taking a tip from Hawk, I started looking at a focus point a few inches in front of the ball, in hopes that I would make better contact on the club face with the ball, rather than hitting the ground, then ball. This was new to me, and was interesting. I relaxed a bit and focused on hitting the ball first, then divot. With that adjustment, I was hitting the ball much better, and seeing my distance get to where it should be.

I have my frustrations with the V2s, and I have my moments of brilliance as well. They have really challenged me to take a good look at my game, and have definitely shown me areas I can improve upon.

I sort of suspected that might be what was going on, war.eagle. It's sort of a tough miss to nail down since it doesn't seem to be so apparent in the type of irons we normally game and the look and feel of the shot is very similar. Good info.

I sort of suspected that might be what was going on, war.eagle. It's sort of a tough miss to nail down since it doesn't seem to be so apparent in the type of irons we normally game and the look and feel of the shot is very similar. Good info.

The fact that the look and feel of the shots were so consistent made it very difficult to pinpoint where my miss was. It had been driving my crazy trying to figure it out. I wish I would have thought of this yesterday, as it will help me see the results visually (and will overall help my game out), but I plan to mark where my ball is with a tee, and see where my divot is starting. Obviously, I know I am hitting into the ground first, but I would like to compare that to the results of the shot that I see.

That's what I had to do. Often, the divot was starting right at, or just barely behind, the ball.

I will be getting out tomorrow. Trying to decide between range or a 9 hole round from the senior tees. Thinking I could play a round with just irons that way and still have some short approaches. I want to figure out that PW.

I will be getting out tomorrow. Trying to decide between range or a 9 hole round from the senior tees. Thinking I could play a round with just irons that way and still have some short approaches. I want to figure out that PW.

Can't wait Hawk. The round could be a great option if you can get out there.

The fact that the look and feel of the shots were so consistent made it very difficult to pinpoint where my miss was. It had been driving my crazy trying to figure it out. I wish I would have thought of this yesterday, as it will help me see the results visually (and will overall help my game out), but I plan to mark where my ball is with a tee, and see where my divot is starting. Obviously, I know I am hitting into the ground first, but I would like to compare that to the results of the shot that I see.

Thanks War.Eagle. I can imagine at times its both rewarding and frustrating. Hopefully these prove over time the positive outweighs everything else.

That is an excellent idea for a round of testing Hawk. Play from the Senior tee's, no woods, all irons. Would be interesting to see.

Thanks War.Eagle. I can imagine at times its both rewarding and frustrating. Hopefully these prove over time the positive outweighs everything else.
Thats the thing, the great shots keep always keep us coming back.

That is an excellent idea for a round of testing Hawk. Play from the Senior tee's, no woods, all irons. Would be interesting to see.

I think I'm going to do it if I can. 3-PW.

I think I'm going to do it if I can. 3-PW.

Ive thought about doing this very thing but with time to play being at a premium now I have a hard time not playing a full round from my normal tees.

I've done that before Hawk. It's fun and challenging and I'd be willing to bet you score similar to what you normally do.

I've done that before Hawk. It's fun and challenging and I'd be willing to bet you score similar to what you normally do.

I think I might have to do this myself. Will be interesting to see the outcomes. Im sure I would hit more fairways.

Ive thought about doing this very thing but with time to play being at a premium now I have a hard time not playing a full round from my normal tees.

Doesn't that suck to think about? After work I only have about 2.5 hours, so this will just be an extra bonus instead of going to the range. I don't think I'd be able to give up a Sunday round either.

I have a feeling I might score lower if I can stay out of the trees due to no driver.

Only one way to find out, and better yet, you'll get more swings in with the V2's.

I have a feeling I might score lower if I can stay out of the trees due to no driver.

My thoughts exactly.

Doesn't that suck to think about? After work I only have about 2.5 hours, so this will just be an extra bonus instead of going to the range. I don't think I'd be able to give up a Sunday round either.

I hate thinking about it to be honest. Its pretty much dark by the time I get home now. Maybe I could do 9 on an early day but that would still be a stretch. No way I could give up a weekend round this time of year either. And I agree, I think I could score better by staying out of trees and whatnots. Dumb driver.

I also did it at the beginning of my testing and scored about the same. Wayward shots were offset by the distance loss generally speaking. But I also played from my normal tees so you may do a bit better playing from the senior tees.

Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts if you try it. It was a good way for me to get more practice with the longer irons both off the tee and also from the FW as I had longer approach shots into the greens.

Hey Guys, just wanted to say great work on the reviews, lots of great info. As someone who has played Wilson Staff for a number of years and am looking for my new irons I was wondering if any of the testers had previously hit the older PI5's? If so can you compare the forgiveness to these irons. Specifically is the top line similar in size? Thank and Keep up the great work.

Back