New fairway woods...which one?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Hi everyone,

I've been reading some of the threads on here about different woods and it seems like two of the favorites for distance and forgiveness are the callaway dialo octane and the Cleveland FL.

Right now I'm just gaming a driver and a 5 wood. I would like to fill the gap with a 4w or a 17* 3 wood and also replace my current 5 wood. Would the 4w/17* fill the gap nicely?

Do u guys think that these two fairway woods are really good models this year or do you have any other suggestions on clubs that I should demo.

Callaway is having a really good preowned sale right now so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. The sale only runs through the 17..

The only thing I'm concerned about is I don't have a chance to hit these on a monitor, only hitting them at the range. Because I can't see the numbers I don't know exactly which one I'm hitting further or more consistently. I can remember reading how the Cleveland is shockingly long. Without having a monitor available, do I just strictly base the demo on feel and trajectory?

Thanks for the input.

Sean

Sean, a 17* 4wood, in my opinion, would not fill a gap between driver and a 18* 5wood. You would be better off going with the 15* 3wood. I have the Cleveland FL 3wood and the Callaway Razr Hawk 3wood and both are just very different. I'm sure the Cleveland is the longer of the two, but I prefer the sound of the Callaway. Both don't offer a site line, I don't know how important that is to you. I think the Razr Hawk flights the ball lower for me, but that could be the differences between the shafts I have in each. Currently, I have the Cleveland in the bag b/c it's so much more effortless to swing.

I have heard that the 17* is just easier to hit for amateurs off of the turf. I don't have much of a problem hitting woods off of the grass but who doesn't want a forgiving club?

So you think that the 17 is too close to the five? The next club after my five wood is a mashie m3.

Do you like the razr hawk over the octane?

Last edited:
I have heard that the 17* is just easier to git for amateurs off of the turf. I don't have much of a problem hitting woods off of the grass but who doesn't want a forgiving club?

So you think that the 17 is too close to the five? The next club after my five wood is a mashed 3m.

Do you like the razr hawk over the octane?

I've never hit a 17* fwy wood or a 14* fwy wood. Being a lefty, I don't have those options often. I also haven't hit the Octane fwy wood so I would have to recommend the Razr Hawk.

I agree that a 4 wood will likely not fill the gap between a driver and 5 wood well, but I game a 16.5* 4 wood and I love it. It's a Ping G20 and the shallow face makes it so easy to hit off the deck. It also give as nice flight of the tee. If you're going to get a 4 wood, I'd scrap the 5 wood and get a 20* or 21* hybrid after that. Those fill the gap to my 4i well. Good luck with your search.

I think you may be dissapointed with a 17* and a 5wood. It's been said in the thread already so I won't belabor that point.

Everybody is different with their woods of choice. The Calloways have a ton of love on this forum and the FL are undoubtably long. I love the Adams F11 and the Nike VR Pro is an option that I think you should consider.

I love the Nike VR Pro 3w. Great club that I keep going back to when I have trouble controlling the Cleveland FL.

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

So you guys are thinking:

Driver - 10.5*
3w/4w - 17*
7w - ?
Mashie m3 22*

Am I getting this right? Should I aim for a lower lofted 3w or does this scenario look nice. Is the 7w too close toothed Mashie?

I am pondering an fl 3 wood for sure. Great club and great shaft

So you guys are thinking:

Driver - 10.5*
3w/4w - 17*
7w - ?
Mashie m3 22*

Am I getting this right? Should I aim for a lower lofted 3w or does this scenario look nice. Is the 7w too close toothed Mashie?

If you have a 22* Mashie and an 18* 5 wood, I don't see a huge need for another wood. I would add a wedge to have smaller gaps in the short game. But that's me. If you want to, you could go 15* 3 wood, 18*-19* 5/7 wood, and 22* Mashie.

I love my Cleveland 3w and 5w. I first bought the 3w-15 degree after reading the reviews on here and after playing it a couple times promptly picked up the 5w as well.

The 3w is extremely easy for me to hit off the fairway and tee. Since getting it I rarely use my driver. I rarely miss fairways with it and many times out drive my golfing partners (we hit pretty much the same distance with our drivers) who are using their drivers.

I haven't hit any other of the newer fairway woods but I can't envision them being any better for me than the Cleveland.

So how about this.....

Driver
17 wood
Mashie

Or...

Driver
15*
7w
Mashie

Kinda confused now. How do you guys like the octane over the razr?

If you have a 22* Mashie and an 18* 5 wood, I don't see a huge need for another wood. I would add a wedge to have smaller gaps in the short game.

I agree. Lowfi, you want 3-5 degrees of gapping between clubs in the bag.

So I play with a pitching, gap and sand wedge right now and won't be adding a lob so I'd like to add another/ more woods.

So I play with a pitching, gap and sand wedge right now and won't be adding a lob so I'd like to add another/ more woods.

In that case I'd probably go 15*, 18-19*, and 22*. Though I am a big advocate of lob wedges. They add much more versatility than an extra wood.

To be honest, everyone else has covered pretty much everything, but I'll put in my 2 cents. If you don't want to get rid of the 5w, drop in a 13* or 14* and fill that gap. The Callaway Diablo Octane is fairly long, and it is really forgiving. The feel is a little bit covered, but not much, and the sound is nice. As for the Cleveland FL, it's crazy long, but it's not as forgiving as the Octane. I like the feel a bit more, and the sound is more "ping"-like. I like this a lot more then I'm playing 18, because it's effortless to swing, so you use a lot less energy. Another recommendation is the TM R11. Although I hate the white, I love everything about this club, except that it does lack some forgiveness.

In that case I'd probably go 15*, 18-19*, and 22*. Though I am a big advocate of lob wedges. They add much more versatility than an extra wood.
I agree. right now i only have one 56* wedge but my next purchase will be a gap wedge and a lob wedge. Thats where i feel i will save more strokes. Im much more concerned with inside 100 yards than i am with being 250+ yards out.

I was shopping for a new 3 wood myself a few weeks ago. After hitting just about every option I could find it was easy for me to buy the Diablo Octane Tour. I played with it for the first time on Friday and I can confirm that its true love :) I personally hit it further than any other 3 wood including the Cleveland.

For what its worth my bag sits 10.5* driver, 15* 3 wood, 19* 3hybrid and I am quite happy with it.

What shaft did you get in the tour? I hit the octane, Cleveland and razr hawk today. It's definitely a tough choice. I like how you don't have to swing so hard with the Cleveland and I seem to hook/draw the octane more. ill try the clubs again tomorrow again and see them on a monitor. thanks for the help everyone!

What shaft did you get in the tour? I hit the octane, Cleveland and razr hawk today. It's definitely a tough choice. I like how you don't have to swing so hard with the Cleveland and I seem to hook/draw the octane more.

If you hook the Octane, it's because the offset is too much for you. In that case, try the Tour, since it'll have less offset to prevent the club from being closed at impact. For the Cleveland, the reason they make it light is to give you a smoother swing tempo so you make better contact with the same swing/ball speed

For me the 910F is the best FW on the market. I hit it farther than than the Cleveland FL, and is extremely forgiving for me. It will be in my bag in the near future.

IF you don't want to add a wedge, I would keep your 5W and add a 15* 3W for now, if you so desired you could drop the 5W for a 2/3H in the future.

If you hook the Octane, it's because the offset is too much for you. In that case, try the Tour, since it'll have less offset to prevent the club from being closed at impact. For the Cleveland, the reason they make it light is to give you a smoother swing tempo so you make better contact with the same swing/ball speed

Exactly. I had to go with a more open face because I was hooking my old 3 wood. I definitely do not have that issue with the Octane Tour and far preferred it over the regular Octane (face is quite closed).

I went with the stock Callaway S-flex shaft in mine.

How does the tour compare forgiveness wise? Is it more like the Cleveland? If I het the tour I may pick out a custom shaft....choices choices!

Hi guys one more question.. if you could pick between the proforce V2 65 and the fubuki 63 in the tour 3w which would you pick and why? I would like a shaft that can get the ball up in the air but with low spin. In drivers I was fitted for the 910d3 with the ahina stiff shaft. If those shafts aren't a good option I can go with the stock shaft.

Thanks!
Sean

Back