Lessons and what to ask.

MattyKrack17

MattyCaulk AkA DigDug
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to get a couple lessons. Give me something to work on over the winter. I want to email some instructors and wanted to know what should I ask? Also what should I look for. There is only a couple places around here that I'd go. Golftec is 45 min away but not out of the question.

Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

In my opinion. I would ask who they are and where they work? And what their rate is! Also. You should decide how much you want to pay and how often you want to go?

I'm thinking 3-4 lessons to start. And looking to pay $50-$75 a lesson

If they are online anywhere they should have a list of where they worked before. Also check at the driving ranges in your area a lot of unaffiliated PGA teachers work from them. In my area the pro at Dick's works out of a driving range.

This may seem kind of weird, but ask them a ball flight law question. IE, how do you hit a fade or draw. Wait for their response. If it at all involves the old ball flight laws, you probably shouldn't use that person.

This may seem kind of weird, but ask them a ball flight law question. IE, how do you hit a fade or draw. Wait for their response. If it at all involves the old ball flight laws, you probably shouldn't use that person.

Can you explain a little better?

Can you explain a little better?

I can either break it down for you in a long boring post, or you can watch a youtube video from a guy who explains it a lot better than I can. The jist: the old ball flight laws about keeping the face square and swinging inside to out to hit a draw/ outside to in to hit a fade are wrong.

The new ball flight laws in common sense speak, can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU

If your teacher doesn't agree with the video, it's like him teaching you that the world is flat.

I would start with these:

What is the cost per lesson? How long is a typical lesson?

Is their a bulk rate? (for example, the top pro in my area will run a holiday special, buy 3, get one free) For your own sake, don't commit to anything more than 2 or 3 initially. You don't want to pay for 10 lessons upfront only to find out you don't like the guy or you aren't getting anything out of it.

Do they use technology (video/lauch monitor/etc)? What do they use and how do they use them?

What are the hours they are teaching? How hard is it to reserve a time?

Do they have both indoor and outdoor facilities available?

Will they work on short game techniques?

That's what I was thinking. Ill email them today.

might be outside of your posted price range...from whtt ive heard

might be outside of your posted price range...from whtt ive heard

its pretty close they were running a discount on lesson plans but i think thats over. I think its worth the extra money i watch my lessons and work on the drills during the week between my lessons.

Short term is the best commitment. I had a 4 for the price of 3 this summer. I had just gotten started again. I had no swing, he got me squared up and swinging fine in the first 2 lessons. Lessons 3 and 4 were just me hitting the ball and him commenting. He also still prefers the weight on the toes stance, while I understand everyone else is teaching the weight on your arches. I'll be taking a good look at Golftec after the first of the year.

I'm thinking 3-4 lessons to start. And looking to pay $50-$75 a lesson

I would ask around and see what surfaces. Each teacher will have their own way of doing things. Their name is not something that should be of concern. Billy bob could be the best teach. $50 an hour is a good rate but anything higher and I would head to Golftec since its only 4 lessons that you will more than likely space out.

I can either break it down for you in a long boring post, or you can watch a youtube video from a guy who explains it a lot better than I can. The jist: the old ball flight laws about keeping the face square and swinging inside to out to hit a draw/ outside to in to hit a fade are wrong.

The new ball flight laws in common sense speak, can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU

If your teacher doesn't agree with the video, it's like him teaching you that the world is flat.

Really? That video was 9 minutes of confusing mumbo jumbo. What if you you have a side hill lie with a straight club face, path and target? What does the ball do in this case. According to the pro straight.

I'm looking to get a couple lessons. Give me something to work on over the winter. I want to email some instructors and wanted to know what should I ask? Also what should I look for. There is only a couple places around here that I'd go. Golftec is 45 min away but not out of the question.

You want to talk lessons, do you know what you want to accomplish and how much effort are you looking to put into it?

I would ask the instructor his approach to teaching golf, does he teach a method and require you to adapt or will he work with what you currently do to make you more consistent. I had discussion with my instructor about this and we worked on fine tuning my swing since I wasn't looking to play tournament level golf. I am a once a week golfer with little time for practice.

Really? That video was 9 minutes of confusing mumbo jumbo. What if you you have a side hill lie with a straight club face, path and target? What does the ball do in this case. According to the pro straight.

I'm really not sure what was confusing about it. That was pretty plain english, especially in comparison to TGM jargon. He may have thrown degrees in there but it was still pretty easy to understand I thought. The club face and its path don't care about the lie. I've hit many a straight ball, fade, or draw from a side hill lie from either above my feet or below and I'm sure you have too.

I want a couple lessons to point out my flaws and drills to work on them. Then go from there

IMHO Golftec is great for their use of technology to view and get immediate feedback on your swing. The only drawback I see is you will always be hitting off a mat and you cannot see your ball flight. Since you live up north, this may be a viable alternative to waiting for warmer weather. As always, make sure you "connect" with the instructor.

IMHO Golftec is great for their use of technology to view and get immediate feedback on your swing. The only drawback I see is you will always be hitting off a mat and you cannot see your ball flight. Since you live up north, this may be a viable alternative to waiting for warmer weather. As always, make sure you "connect" with the instructor.

And I hit fat shots at time which can't do on a mat which worries me

I'm really not sure what was confusing about it. That was pretty plain english, especially in comparison to TGM jargon. He may have thrown degrees in there but it was still pretty easy to understand I thought. The club face and its path don't care about the lie. I've hit many a straight ball, fade, or draw from a side hill lie from either above my feet or below and I'm sure you have too.

The theory he had is correct. The club face and it's path dictate the shot shape/direction. But it's not that easy. If I were a beginner and watch that video I would be confused. There are so many more factors that come into play with shot shape then just the direction of the club face.

Mt reaction is based on watching 100s of teacher talk over the heads of their students and get paid for it. IMO his speak is for the advanced golfer that understands swing path, plane, trajectory. So he theory was easy to understand but its on a different level than the casual golfer. IMO.....

Great video. Thank you for sharing.

look for somewhere offering video analysis. I've been going to a guy who has an indoor swing room, and a nearby public range that he teaches on. The swing room has 2 video cameras - front and side-on - and the range is used to allow him to see ball flight.

very very useful to see your swing on a screen. he can also show other swings - including those of pros - alongside mine to point out what he is looking for me to do.

be prepared to put a lot of effort in yourself, aside from a lesson - the only benefit will come from working on what you're being taught on your own.
also be prepared for your game to dip a bit while you're in transition - I found the odd duff shot creeping in while I was adjusting stance/takeaway/grip/move into downswing...

The theory he had is correct. The club face and it's path dictate the shot shape/direction. But it's not that easy. If I were a beginner and watch that video I would be confused. There are so many more factors that come into play with shot shape then just the direction of the club face.

Mt reaction is based on watching 100s of teacher talk over the heads of their students and get paid for it. IMO his speak is for the advanced golfer that understands swing path, plane, trajectory. So he theory was easy to understand but its on a different level than the casual golfer. IMO.....

I agree with the bolded part. If I were a beginner yeah that'd be a bit much to take on in the very first meeting. At some point though you gotta go from the shallow end to the deep end, and his explanation is one of the better one's in layman's terms.

Gg has a special, 3 30 min lessons for $99. With video. Anyone took lessons from gg?

Back