Does spine-ing a golf shaft really matter?

I didnt know that. Cool.

Reading the post above, is it multispined or spineless?

Added the pic to help...It was from our original home page article several months ago.

Added the pic to help...It was from our original home page article several months ago.

That is crazy JB....it truly is amazing the amount of technology that goes into making our clubs these days.....

That's very interesting CG13....never heard of anything like that before.

Every once in awhile I'll remember something interesting haha.

I've heard/read conflicting reports, but the naysayers argument makes sense to me (e.g. that the shaft doesn't really bend in the direction of the spin alignment during the swing anyway, so what's the point). Who knows...at the end of the day, if having it done gives you confidence, and you perform better as a result, who am I (or anyone else) to say whether it's worth it or not.

You are correct sir, I stand corrected....

I thought the Titleist system didn't involve moving the shaft but rather moving the rings at the bottom of the shaft. i could be wrong tho...

I've heard/read conflicting reports, but the naysayers argument makes sense to me (e.g. that the shaft doesn't really bend in the direction of the spin alignment during the swing anyway, so what's the point). Who knows...at the end of the day, if having it done gives you confidence, and you perform better as a result, who am I (or anyone else) to say whether it's worth it or not.

Indeed.

I don't know if it actually does anything or not, but I feel better when it's done so usually get it done because I "think" it does something regardless of the results. Just another superstition about how I do things.

Golf is always a game of inches or seconds, so if "spining" or "puring" a shaft helps you close the club easier or whatever its suppose to do, I say do it if you want. People debate ball fitting and club fitting, do whatever makes you feel most confident on the tee box.

I have to go with the people who are experts. If van fitters and the kingdom say it makes little to no difference, I'll go with their opinions and save a couple of bucks.

I have to go with the people who are experts. If van fitters and the kingdom say it makes little to no difference, I'll go with their opinions and save a couple of bucks.

Pretty much the way I feel about the subject. I doubt I would feel or see a difference in preformance.

Some people think so, some people dont. Us mortals probably wont ever feel the difference.

Then it gets into the issue of which direction the spine should be laid in, and how that affects what. To me, its all a bunch of hooey that the GolfWRXers use along with their tour issue equipment to sound cooler.

x1000. Most WRXers as so proud of themselves it is ridiculous.

I've played spined and non spined drivers and I can honestly say I probably got on with one that I did myself and was not spined. I may have got lucky when I insersted the shaft but its a 1 in 360 chance! So for me while I can see the benifits in the mind of spining I think its overrated. I know if i put a good swing on it, it should go where it was pointed,if I put a bad swing on it then no amount of spining is going to save the shot.

There's no way I could tell the difference swinging a spined shaft vs unspined but FWIW, the only two "pured" shafts in my bag are in my fw's and they're also the only clubs that have stuck around the longest, 5 or 6 years. Certainly can be the heads though, as I loved the clubs even before the shaft change.

But I don't put too much stock into puring as I only have one pured driver shaft. It's a Mistsubishi Bassara fitted with an adapter for my S3. Hasn't cracked the starting lineup as I love my non-pured Blueboard 73. The Bassara's longer, by about 10 yards, but not as accurate.

And yes, changing the club-face angle obviously alters the puring orientation (potentially putting the shaft in its supposed worst orientation with a particular change, I'd imagine). When I've done this, I haven't noticed any change in the shaft's performance.

With the vast improvements in quality and consistency in shaft manufacturing, I imagine spine alignment is less and less important these days. Assuming it was ever that important to begin with.

5 years ago I had 3 musky fishing rods custom built with "Diamondback" graphite blanks. Diamondback is a high end fly rod blank company that was getting into the heavier rod business: bass, walleye, musky/pike, etc. The guy that built them for me "spined" the blanks in all the rods he built. He did it for free as a marketing tool as other custom companies charged for it, and he was building in his basement. He didn't believe it made a difference, but it helped him sell a ton of fishing rods. He actually gave it up because the stress got to be too much. Absolutely gorgeous pieces of equipment.

Kevin

x1000. Most WRXers as so proud of themselves it is ridiculous.

Understandable, though, due to the seriousness with which they take the game.

Kevin

That has to be one of the main reasons the fitters at TM Kingdom down play the spineing, if you change the shaft position, it is then not spined. I think you are completely on target here, be interesting to hear what a fitter has to say on this.

I personally don't think the spining stuff does anything....well at least for me.
But if you think about the your adjustability statement.
You aren't adjusting the shaft, you are adjusting the head and when you grip the club, the shaft is still in the same position....is it not?
When I adjust the head on my R-11, my grip is still in the same place, rotationally(is that a real word?) and the head has rotated.
Am I making any sense?

Are digging up all the old threads? Lol

golf is a game where the mental aspect can affect your game. If you believe that it will help, it will help you. If you don't think it will help you, you are possibly better off without it. I like to tinker with my clubs and have a spine finder and have also learned to FLO the shafts also. I think I can tell a difference and have done it to a few of my clubs but not all of them. I dont think that I have improved my score with the clubs that I have done. But still enjoy tinkering with them, not sure that I would pay someone to do it for me though.

Spining a golf shaft really doesn't seem to make that much difference, from all the information I've read on it. I guess if it works for you that's great but if not it doesn't seem to hurt you...

BDG

man, I saw this thread and thought the doucher was back on here and posting.

Back