CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
After battling injury for a few years, Weir FINALLY decided to go for surgery on his elbow. Hes going to play a little on the eurotour too!

Mike Weir hopes to return to the PGA TOUR at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am next year. "I’m not sure if I’ll make that deadline, but I’m going to shoot for that right now," Weir, who had elbow surgery in August, wrote in the blog on his website.

Weir said he’s targeting Pebble Beach because he has a comfort zone there after posting seven top-10s, including two seconds and a pair of thirds, in 14 starts. He also said that the turf there would likely be soft at that time of year.
Weir has recently begun hitting wedge and pitch shots — all off a tee.

"At first, I was swinging at about 50 percent of normal, but I have gradually moved that up to 75 percent," Weir wrote. "And in the last few sessions, I even hit four or five drivers. They all felt really good.

"
Due to doctor’s orders, though, Weir said he will wait until the four-month mark before hitting any full shots. "It can be a bit frustrating but I know patience now will pay off down the road," the former Masters champ wrote.

Weir said he has noticed he has more grip strength than he did before the surgery.
"I can really feel my fingers on the club these days and that’s something that was missing the last few years," Weir wrote. "It’s one of those gradual thing that’s so subtle I guess I never really noticed it, but since the surgery, it’s evident how much I’d lost over time and how much I have back."Weir, who has battled the injury to his right elbow for two years, finished outside the all-exempt top 125 on the money list in 2011. He does have some status as a past champion due to his eight TOUR victories, and he would be eligible for sponsor’s exemptions, as well.

Weir also wrote that he recently discovered the European Tour offers a 12-year exemption to major champions. So Weir, who won the 2003 Masters, paid his dues and — while he said he wants to play most of his golf in North America — "I’ll likely use that to fill in when I’m unable to play over here," he wrote.

PGAtour.com

Go Canada! I really would like to see Mike Weir back to being relevant.

Stop it!!

I like Weir, but i notice that some people give him a hard time. What is it that people don't like about him?

I like the lefty(no big surprise there), and am glad to see him coming back.

Great news!!!

Yay. I love seeing more lefties. Good to hear he's back.

Haha. Yeah, he is "back" alright.

BTW... what did he get? Tommy-john?

I like Weir, but i notice that some people give him a hard time. What is it that people don't like about him?

He is lefty and he is Canadian. That combination is never good

He is lefty and he is Canadian. That combination is never good

I can understand the Canadian thing and I can understand the lefty thing, but he has got the whole Coolbreeze thing going. You put the two things together and 2 negatives equal a positive.

I can understand the Canadian thing and I can understand the lefty thing, but he has got the whole Coolbreeze thing going. You put the two things together and 2 negatives equal a positive.

Thanks Doc, Northwest golfers rule!

I like Weir, but we can't claim he's back until he wins a limited field event.

Hell probably never win again. But it gives us Canadians someone to root for. I used to dislike him until he took time out of his practice schedule to talk to me about my university program, and hockey and stuff.

Completely agree. He also has to host it. That is the only way to know. Lefty Canadians are so shifty

Completely agree. He also has to host it. That is the only way to know. Lefty Canadians are so shifty

That's a good point CL...Weir can't be back until he wins a limited field event that he hosts, who's title sponsor is an oil company, on a course he knows well, in breezy weather, two weeks after global travels, three weeks before a big holiday, and after changing caddies and coaches. Really that's the only suitable test to know that you are "back".

I was going to wait until this hit 50 pages before posting in it.

Jeez, it's so much easier to find a pic of a tiger on google images than it is a weir.

Anyway,

compstall_weir.jpg

Weir is a great golfer when he is healthy, and i hope he comes back and plays very well..

In the states if you ask; think of a US golfer you would hear the name Tiger Woods 9/10. If you asked the same question here in Canada, who is a golfer in Canada you would probably hear the name Mike Weir. He has a huge brand in Sportscheks here, And hope he builds up more golf in Canada, like Tiger has in the States & The Shark has in Australia ..ect

Donnie is brilliant. lol.

Weir's half takeaway pre-shot routine was annoying as hell. He should get rid of that. It probably destroyed his elbow.

Kevin

I'm sure it's going to be a long way back, but if anyone can persevere it would be Mike. Hopefully he can have a VJ type career in his 40's.

Back