Nike VR Pro Combo CB

JConn

Proud 2013 MC Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
I was at Golfsmith this morning and saw a new Nike set that I haven't seen, heard, or read about. (Mods: I searched for it here, so please merge or delete if this is a duplicate.)

I was lucky enough to test the Nike VR Pro Combos this past summer and absolutely loved the set. The set, given by its name, is a "combo set" of three different types of irons.

3, 4 - Pocket cavity
5, 6, 7 - Split Cavity
8, 9, PW - Blade

Most of us testers really enjoyed the blades, and quite a few of us thought they were the best part of the set. However, we couldn't help but wonder just how much forgiveness we were giving up, and if we were gaining any accuracy or feel, playing blades.

Well, Nike has listened to us. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

The new Nike VR Pro Combo CB are still a combo set, but there are only 2 different types of irons.

3, 4, 5 - Pocket cavity
6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Split cavity

I think this could be a wonderful set for a large range of golfers looking for a GE set.

Here is a pic of the PW.

43a8d371-14fb-c1e8.jpg

Unfortunately I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't have a chance to hit them, but I will do so soon.

If anyone has any additional info, please add it to this thread! I am very interested in these clubs!

It's funny that these irons aren't listed on nikegolf.com at all, but you can find them for sale on websites like TGW and Golfsmith. The lofts are the same from the original VR Pro Combo set. Here is the information from the Golfsmith page on these irons:

The Nike VR Pro Combo CB Iron Set provides more command and control. Change for the better. Change from pocket cavity to split-cavity throughout the set for the optimal shot and more forgiving performance. Change to a new forging process for more precise shot-making. And change to the new high-frequency X3X grooves for better performance and more consistent distance control. Want more change? How about to your score.

These irons feature precision forging to a near-finished level that eliminates most hand work and ensures consistency throughout the set. The finished iron face is milled to a perfectly flat surface then carefully die-stamped, pressing grooves to exact specifications for extremely low variance and shot-making consistency.

Additional features:

3-5 Irons are Pocket Cavity, and the 6-PW are Split Cavity
X3X grooves: more grooves, closer together and deeper, ensure maximum flight control and shot-to-shot consistency, while conforming to new USGA and R&A rules
Linear CG mapping: the center of gravity moves gradually and consistently throughout each club in the set for optimal launch and consistent distance control
Pocket cavity design in long irons offers higher trajectory on longer shots
Split cavity design in lower irons enhances pin-seeking control and workability
Set composition: 3 thru Pitching Wedge
Shaft type: Dynamic Gold XP

Thanks for the added info ary. That is odd that they aren't on nikegolf.com. I wonder if these places aren't supposed to have them for sale yet?

Wow... that is weird. I would think that the receiving clerk at the store just made a mistake by putting them out early but if they are on the website of GS, TGW, etc... that's just weird.

A pic from online, really shows the cavity. I'm super interested!

(JB, if there is an Embrago date this violates, pls remove.)

procb.jpg

A pic from online, really shows the cavity. I'm super interested!

(JB, if there is an Embrago date this violates, pls remove.)

procb.jpg

Yes that must be from the 3, 4, or 5, pocket cavity irons. Looks exactly the same as the 3 and 4 from the set I/we tested.

Hopefully JB or someone else can comment on why we haven't heard anything about these, and/or why they aren't on Nike's website yet they're for sale at other places.

If they are showing up on sale sites, leave it be.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Clubs became available 11/1/11.....the catalog stated LH availability but NOT TRUE!!!! karma is good as I'm loving my blade portion with shaft change

Wow, i'm very interested in this set since i've been looking at the Nike vr pro combo set for a while now.
However, when reading the Pro Combo(with blades) thread, most of the people there are raving about the blades in that set.

I'm wondering, would you consider switching your 8-pw blades and go back to CB irons jeff?

I would like to see this new set put head to head with the old set and see if there is a big difference. I personally liked the blade component of the old set. I have to imagine there is a greater level of forgiveness in the new set. Results will tell!

The blades were my favorite part about the set. I think that I would rather see Nike go with a 4-7 Split Cav and 8-GW blade. I did not like the feel of the Pocket Cavs.

These have me intrigued. The blades scared me away for the other set... gona have to hit these.. but all club purchases are on hold until demo say

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I am looking for a set to help me shave a few strokes with some added feel and control. I think these might just be the set I am looking for if the R11's turn out not to be.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone hit this set yet (mainly the new 8/9/pw)? The set seems to be reasonable priced , especially compared to what the nike vr_s forged are gonna cost.

Back