Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this article, which says everyone loses in the CP3 trade: http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/12/14/sheridan-on-chris-paul-trade-no-winners-only-losers/

Quick synopsis: the Hornets may now have the worst roster in the league, and they don't have a star player anymore for the fans to come out and watch. That's not exactly an attractive team for the NBA to find a buyer for. The Clippers' roster isn't all that great after CP3 and Blake Griffin, they will probably not be able to contend for the top of the Western Conference. The person that comes out looking the absolute worst is David Stern with all of his manipulations of this situation over the last week. I'm a huge basketball fan, but this stuff has left a bad taste in my mouth.

You know you added Rip Hamilton right and not a good player right?

im just gonna go out on a limb here and say rip hamilton is better than keith bogans. and i know we lost 4-1 to the heat but that series was a hell of a lot closer than the win/loss column displays. I mean, one loss in the final minute, one loss in overtime....and we were starting KEITH BOGANS.

id take a 40 year rip hamilton over keith bogans in his prime...whenever that was.

im just gonna go out on a limb here and say rip hamilton is better than keith bogans. and i know we lost 4-1 to the heat but that series was a hell of a lot closer than the win/loss column displays. I mean, one loss in the final minute, one loss in overtime....and we were starting KEITH BOGANS.

id take a 40 year rip hamilton over keith bogans in his prime...whenever that was.

Being better than Bogans doesn't make him good. Not much of an upgrade because he won't be taking many shots anyways. He will just stand around most of the time and watch Rose, Deng, and Boozer shoot.

I agree with this article, which says everyone loses in the CP3 trade: http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/12/14/sheridan-on-chris-paul-trade-no-winners-only-losers/

Quick synopsis: the Hornets may now have the worst roster in the league, and they don't have a star player anymore for the fans to come out and watch. That's not exactly an attractive team for the NBA to find a buyer for. The Clippers' roster isn't all that great after CP3 and Blake Griffin, they will probably not be able to contend for the top of the Western Conference. The person that comes out looking the absolute worst is David Stern with all of his manipulations of this situation over the last week. I'm a huge basketball fan, but this stuff has left a bad taste in my mouth.

sure, you have a star player in NO for the rest of this shortened season, but he is an unhappy star player who you have a 0% chance of re-signing. Yes, the hornets are gonna suck this year, but with the pieces they got plus two potential lottery picks in one of the strongest drafts of the last few years? that is a hell of a lot better than not getting those clippers players and draft picks and then losing cp3 next year....

I do think the clippers might lose in this deal because cp3 might not resign with them but as of right now, they have two star players and a couple solid role players in jordan and butler, thats more than a lot of teams can ask for.

as of right now, its win/win imo

I'd agree that the Clippers improve mightily with the trade. Now they have a great PG, and two very good big men. Add in a solid role player in Butler and I think they could contend.

Being better than Bogans doesn't make him good. Not much of an upgrade because he won't be taking many shots anyways. He will just stand around most of the time and watch Rose, Deng, and Boozer shoot.

no it doesnt make him good, but imo the bulls were just a slight upgrade away from beating the heat last year. now, with one season under their belt the heat could be a lot better this year and it wouldnt matter who the bulls added....but im not sure thats going to be the case.

Rip will steal some touches from deng, they both play a similar 'run off screens, shoot midrange jumpers' type game...but it wouldnt suprise me if rip averages 17-19ppg this year

Well said... Wish the initial deal with the Lakers went down

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

This sums it up best for me, from ESPN:

"[h=3]Fact or Fiction: The Hornets got a good deal.[/h]
Possibly fact. But only possibly. Al-Farouq Aminu started off well as a rookie but finished horribly, and he's still a man without a position in his own mind (he thinks he's a 3; I don't). Kaman is likely going to be moved, so we need to see who that turns out to be. And the Minny pick could easily be outside the top 10. So Gordon is great, but if he's the only man standing in two-plus years, then this deal isn't so good."

This sums it up best for me, from ESPN:

"Fact or Fiction: The Hornets got a good deal.

Possibly fact. But only possibly. Al-Farouq Aminu started off well as a rookie but finished horribly, and he's still a man without a position in his own mind (he thinks he's a 3; I don't). Kaman is likely going to be moved, so we need to see who that turns out to be. And the Minny pick could easily be outside the top 10. So Gordon is great, but if he's the only man standing in two-plus years, then this deal isn't so good."

id agree with this. we dont know how its going to end up for them but if they turn eric gordon, chris kaman's expiring contract, and two lottery picks next year into just eric gordon...well, then they deserve to get burned on this deal. I got a little faith in dell demps though.

id agree with this. we dont know how its going to end up for them but if they turn eric gordon, chris kaman's expiring contract, and two lottery picks next year into just eric gordon...well, then they deserve to get burned on this deal. I got a little faith in dell demps though.

Best case scenario they end up with Gordon, Aminu, swap Kaman or Okafor for someone younger probably, and 2 lottery picks if Minny AND NO are terrible (Minnesota should be a middle of the league team this year if they're healthy, at least). Worst case is they end up with 2 mid round picks, Gordon, Aminu, and a bad deal for Kaman. We'll see.

Best case scenario they end up with Gordon, Aminu, swap Kaman or Okafor for someone younger probably, and 2 lottery picks if Minny AND NO are terrible (Minnesota should be a middle of the league team this year if they're healthy, at least). Worst case is they end up with 2 mid round picks, Gordon, Aminu, and a bad deal for Kaman. We'll see.

i guess i dont see the worst case scenario being all that bad. i dont think minny is gonna make the playoffs this year and i think NO will be competing for the worst record in the league, so im thinking worst case scenario for draft picks will be a 5 & 14. I also think they wont just trade kaman for the sake of trading him, and if there isnt a good deal on the table, you just let him walk next year and clear up $13mil in cap room for free agency.

Its sad to see CP3 leave NO, that squad had a lot of promise just a couple years ago...then they kinda got derailed by injuries...but it would have been even more sad to see CP3 walk next year and leave the hornets looking like the Cavs of last year...

Yea this is great for the hornets, eric gordon is a stud, kaman can play at an all-star level when healthy and they might have two lottery picks next year in what is going to be a really solid draft class. If there ever was a time for someone to step in and buy the hornets this would be it...

on the otherside, cp3 throwing oops to griffin? yikes. lets just hope cp3 likes it enough there to sign an extension, otherwise the clips just shot themselves in the foot.

If he does not sign the extension, he is possibly the dumbest player in the league. The biggest reason he wanted to leave this year is so he can sign a Bird extension and not a FA contract. The difference is almost 20 million.

oh and in other news.....DA BULLS! DA BULLS! DA BULLS! DA BULLS!

Derrick Rose on addition of Rip Hamilton: “With him, I’m going to have a lot more assists this year."

If boozer can figure out the concept of defense, and i know thats a big 'if', chalk up title number 7.

That is funny.

Hamilton is better on the offensive side, but he plays no defense what so ever. The only way they win a title with this team is if Rose learns how to shoot.

i guess i dont see the worst case scenario being all that bad. i dont think minny is gonna make the playoffs this year and i think NO will be competing for the worst record in the league, so im thinking worst case scenario for draft picks will be a 5 & 14. I also think they wont just trade kaman for the sake of trading him, and if there isnt a good deal on the table, you just let him walk next year and clear up $13mil in cap room for free agency.

Its sad to see CP3 leave NO, that squad had a lot of promise just a couple years ago...then they kinda got derailed by injuries...but it would have been even more sad to see CP3 walk next year and leave the hornets looking like the Cavs of last year...

Yeah they will really shop Kaman here and his salary and based on an expiring 13 mill cap slot, they should have some serious takers.

If he does not sign the extension, he is possibly the dumbest player in the league. The biggest reason he wanted to leave this year is so he can sign a Bird extension and not a FA contract. The difference is almost 20 million.

That is funny.

Hamilton is better on the offensive side, but he plays no defense what so ever. The only way they win a title with this team is if Rose learns how to shoot.

Yeah they will really shop Kaman here and his salary and based on an expiring 13 mill cap slot, they should have some serious takers.

first of all, i think cp3 wants to win more than anything and i think he also wants to be on a team with his friends like melo/amare/wade/bosh/lebron are all doing, so i do think those are
things that can figure into his signing an extension. I also dont think it makes you dumb if you take less money to try and win a championship or less money to go somewhere you'd really be happy. I took a job that paid less because i knew i would be happier doing it and i dont think it was a dumb move at all.

and secondly....rip is actually a pretty good defender but more importantly he is one of the fittest players in the nba even at 33 years old and he has a high basketball IQ. Those are the two most important things in Thibs' team defense. You dont have to be a great individual defender but you have to give 110% effort and always be in the right spot.

and rose will get better at shooting, the guy litterally does nothing else except work on his game...however, the key to the bulls success isnt rose shooting and making more shots, if anything rose needs to be shooting a lot less. i think hamilton will take some of the offensive burden away from rose. yes, hamilton is not awesome but he is an improvement. The bulls were something like 25-1 when Bogans scored more than 6 points in a game last year. 6 POINTS!!! he was a stating 2 guard who score 6+ points less than 30 times....now i know im a diehard bulls fans so maybe my judgement is clouded....but i cant be the only one who thinks rip hamilton will be a whole lot better than that...can i?

first of all, i think cp3 wants to win more than anything and i think he also wants to be on a team with his friends like melo/amare/wade/bosh/lebron are all doing, so i do think those are
things that can figure into his signing an extension. I also dont think it makes you dumb if you take less money to try and win a championship or less money to go somewhere you'd really be happy. I took a job that paid less because i knew i would be happier doing it and i dont think it was a dumb move at all.

and secondly....rip is actually a pretty good defender but more importantly he is one of the fittest players in the nba even at 33 years old and he has a high basketball IQ. Those are the two most important things in Thibs' team defense. You dont have to be a great individual defender but you have to give 110% effort and always be in the right spot.

and rose will get better at shooting, the guy litterally does nothing else except work on his game...however, the key to the bulls success isnt rose shooting and making more shots, if anything rose needs to be shooting a lot less. i think hamilton will take some of the offensive burden away from rose. yes, hamilton is not awesome but he is an improvement. The bulls were something like 25-1 when Bogans scored more than 6 points in a game last year. 6 POINTS!!! he was a stating 2 guard who score 6+ points less than 30 times....now i know im a diehard bulls fans so maybe my judgement is clouded....but i cant be the only one who thinks rip hamilton will be a whole lot better than that...can i?

If you check out a little more details about salary exceptions and why Paul wanted to be traded so badly, you will understand what I was referring to. I get that Paul wants to win, but it is very well known why players want out so badly in the last year of a contract when free agency is coming. Its because if they get traded they can sign for 20 million more than they can get on the free agent market. Dont kid yourself in thinking that this is not a financial motive.

I wont get into the Bulls needs and Rose's needs, its clear where your allegiance lies and it would not be fruitful.

Hey guys, the NBA sucks. After watching these idiots lock themselves out I could care less what they do. I hated Chris Paul in college and I'm not a fan of him now. I hate when a player becomes more than his team.

Hey guys, the NBA sucks. After watching these idiots lock themselves out I could care less what they do. I hated Chris Paul in college and I'm not a fan of him now. I hate when a player becomes more than his team.

That happens in college ball too. Like when guys go one-and-done before they win a championship.

That happens in college ball too. Like when guys go one-and-done before they win a championship.

Yeah, at Kentucky. Not all programs are the same. Not all guys are one and done.

Yeah, at Kentucky. Not all programs are the same. Not all guys are one and done.

And not all guys in the NBA are above their teams.

And not all guys in the NBA are above their teams.

Just all the ones in the press all the time. The NBA blows turd. It's not even remotely entertaining until the Playoffs.

How do you hate Chris Paul? He's one of the most likeable players in the NBA, IMO. To each his own though.

Just all the ones in the press all the time. The NBA blows turd. It's not even remotely entertaining until the Playoffs.

Okay, and that's your opinion. I don't think the NCAA is entertaining until the Tourney. I hate watching Duke and UNC and Kentucky beat down lesser teams by 40 most of the time.

Ouch.........true....but ouch. Gotta agree...these guys are here (UK) for one thing NBA draft in most cases. UK used to not be like that...that's a Coach Cal thing.

Okay, and that's your opinion. I don't think the NCAA is entertaining until the Tourney. I hate watching Duke and UNC and Kentucky beat down lesser teams by 40 most of the time.

You obviously haven't been watching College Ball very long. You probably don't know who Matt Dougherty is. UNC hasn't always won like they are now. Oh, and for the record, they have 2 losses this year. And Duke and Kentucky have lost too.

How do you hate Chris Paul? He's one of the most likeable players in the NBA, IMO. To each his own though.

B/c he played at Wake and I'm a Tarheel fan. Those are the rules.

If you check out a little more details about salary exceptions and why Paul wanted to be traded so badly, you will understand what I was referring to. I get that Paul wants to win, but it is very well known why players want out so badly in the last year of a contract when free agency is coming. Its because if they get traded they can sign for 20 million more than they can get on the free agent market. Dont kid yourself in thinking that this is not a financial motive.

I wont get into the Bulls needs and Rose's needs, its clear where your allegiance lies and it would not be fruitful.

no, im familiar with all the details. i get that his bird rights are traded with him and im aware that if he signed with the knicks for instance, he would have to take about a $17mil paycut. I just wouldnt be shocked if he takes the paycut, nor would i think of him as "possibly the dumbest player in the league".

and i am a huge bulls fan, but i think im still being realistic. The bulls won 61 games last year, even though boozer and noah combined to miss 40 games and they made it to the conference finals. I guess i just dont see it as that much of a stretch to say that they could make it to the finals this year and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back