TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I had been avoiding the r11's in the hunt for new irons (after testing mc's and ap2's) but I might have to consider it now....how do you think they compare?

Congratulations on the 69, TC!!
Good stuff!!

I had been avoiding the r11's in the hunt for new irons (after testing mc's and ap2's) but I might have to consider it now....how do you think they compare?

I don't think the R11s offer quite as small of profiles as the other two but they aren't far off. I also think the R11's are far superior in terms of distance and forgiveness. They are definitely sleek though so don't discount them. The main glaring difference is that the R11s aren't forged. I don't know how important that is for you.

Congratulations on the 69, TC!!
Good stuff!!

Thanks Doc! How are you getting along with your set? I've been curious.

Dear TC,

You are doing an excellent job of updating this thread. These irons sound amazing. Huge congratulations on the 2 personal bests. If you keep this up, you will go down to MB in July and show everybody how awesome lefties really are. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Damaikis

Dear TC,

You are doing an excellent job of updating this thread. These irons sound amazing. Huge congratulations on the 2 personal bests. If you keep this up, you will go down to MB in July and show everybody how awesome lefties really are. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Damaikis

July will come soon enough and he will be in rare form and he is doing a wonderful job of testing the limits of the R11s. That goes for all the testers, IMO there is a a great deal of valuable information that has influenced others to buy and join the thread! I appreciate everyone's input along side my fellow testers. Thanks guys!

Thanks Doc! How are you getting along with your set? I've been curious.[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM, but my new Avatar will tell the tale.

Just sold my burner 2.0's for the r11's and so far it's been a great decision. More feel and consistency than the 2.0's and I personally like the looks better myself. I see myself playing these for a while.

Just sold my burner 2.0's for the r11's and so far it's been a great decision. More feel and consistency than the 2.0's and I personally like the looks better myself. I see myself playing these for a while.
Congrats Coach!

Congrats Coach. I think you will quite happy with that decision as Ive played both sets and Id lean towards the R11's for the same exact reasons.

Nice....I hope you seeing the same results we are seeing. welcome to the club

Thanks a lot guys. The videos that were posted on here were great to see before I made the final choice. Thanks again for all the advice. If any of you guys like the project x shafts, then you might want to try them with your r11's, they seem to be a great match.

Just got back from GG. TM over nighted the R-11 AW in the right hand version so my set is complete. The sales team at GG hooked me up with a Taylormade Purelite bag 20% off so I walked away feeling allot better. Setting up a tee time with my brother for Saturday to give them a spin around the course.

You guys are sure killing me with all your new success with these clubs, i woke up with MORE SNOW!! 2 more months, I'm going a little nuts!!

Great read guys!

Two months? I should move to kelowna so I can rip with mine. It's starting to make me squirm I wanna course test these so bad!!!

couldn't agree more with you here.

Two months? I should move to kelowna so I can rip with mine. It's starting to make me squirm I wanna course test these so bad!!!

Ya man i live in Vernon B.C. you know where that is? Its about 20 mins up from Kelowna, but close enough everyone just seems to know where that is. I talked too the owner at the club i may get on around Feb 20th! I really need to find some people too go with that would be sick! Not enough of my buds "want too play all the time like i do" haha.. But its been amazing weather no snow + 4-7 everyday the Okanagan is the place too live forsure its the California of Canada.

I think I'm going too the inside range/Simulator later this month so i should at-least hit some balls pretty good for a few hours. I can't wait too smash some balls with this club it should be fun

Feb 20 and a 4.5 hour drive is worth it to see these babies on course! I think these irons need to be unleashed. I am super confident with these now. I may be as bold to predict at least 5 eagles this year. Oh they are nice and long. These also don't kill my shot way right or left if missed. On the range I am putting 20 yards or so off and bombing em. The grips are killing me though, they are pencile thin. I like a mid size for control, yet I am waiting till season opens before ranging out a new set of ndmc. I am constantly happy with the overall feel of these.

December 15, 2011
71* & Sunny
Northshore Golf Club back 9
R11 testing

There is something to be said about living in a climate that allows you to play golf year around. I am lucky that way I guess, a good day is around every corner. today was a splendid day in Central Florida for a quick 9 before the office.

I teed off on the back nine so I could play mulitple shots in on each hole. My last time out I was seeing some unusual distances with everyclub in the bag from the AW-5i. I wanted to see if this was a fluke, realted to the ball I was playing or just the perfect marriage between swing, ball and club. I mean I hit a 6i over 200 yards the other day and didn't try to hit hard.

Well my first hole afforded me my first swings from the fairway. 123yds into a middle back pin, AW at the right front. Thehole was slightly elevated and propblably played more like 133. I end up on the front right of the green. My second ball was 107 and I hit a little 3/4 AW that hit 5' or so on the green and sucked clean off the front to the bottom of the false front, impressive? I think not.....

Next hole is par par5 and hit my two drives with in 20 yds of each other side by side. The first was right center of the fairway. I decided to hit a 3 iron, not for placment but because I could. I wanted to fade it off this huge tree that sit 150 out from the green on the left side of the fairway. I hit a solid straight ball that never faded and finished 139 out just right of the tree. The second ball was on a severe uphill sidehill lie. The ball was above my feet and on an up slope. 5i was chosen and hit...well!!! I aimed down the right side which would require a shot over a large florida oak, and a huge waste bunker. Aiming down the right and playing for the slope was my only choice. The combination of the lie, clubs and swing produced the single hightest longest shot I have ever hit. The ball literally tried to leave earth orbit and decided to travel to another zip code on the hole. my shot finshed 129 out from the green from the dead center of the fairway. I do believe it took aerial shots of the terrian as it flew over head...you get the point!

I hit two balls on every hole so the clubs got a good work out. The problem is that my swing was a bit off after the second hole. I hit a few slight misses that finished short of my intended target. if Saturday was the max of these irons than today would be the least amount out put I can expect. I will gladly take what I am used to which is right in between the two rounds. I hit 6 of 9 greens in reg and I think my average distance was 32' on these 6 holes. The putter got a work out. I have said it before and I will say it again. The misses with these clubs do not wreck your round. Today my misses where all short and a little right but on the green. Making par usually is a good thing but today I saw it more as me settling for what my swing was producing. sometimes you have to settle and be content. But you never have to settle with the R11s, they won't let you get too far from your comfort zone.

Nice recap, Tadashi.

Sounds like you're absolutely crushing these irons. Beautiful. And, yes, I'm jealous of your climate advantage over us northerners.

Nice report, Tadashi! Wish I could have seen some of those hits. Need an air traffic control clearance?
One strong young guy I know here in Birmingham turned his R11's back in because he was hitting them too far!! Tough problem, huh.

I mean, really, smacking the 6i over 200 yards? That's just incredible. Love it.

The clubs have always been long but crazy long was never the case. I think 6i distance of 185-190 is more like it.

nice write up Tad. sounds like your getting some better distance numbers. Hoping to get to the range this weekend and playing monday with Hanks. can't wait to get back out... been way to long.

Thanks for the update Tadashi. Man, I wish I could catch the course to play a couple balls. I try every time of the day, weekdays too, but I always seem to get caught between slower in front and speedy behind. Then I just look like a tornado chaser with my camera and tripod riding shotgun with me!

Tadashi, nice write up. It's funny that your misses were you coming up short as that's what happened to me the past two rounds. I can't figure out if it's the weather, or atmospheric pressure, but I'm almost certain it's the golf ball. The past couple of rounds I've been playing with some Burner Tour golf balls and they just don't seem to be going as far as what I'm use to seeing with my B330RX. Like I said though, I don't mind being short if I'm in the front fringe, which is where I seemed to consistently end up.

Back