Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd Graham quits and bolts to Arizona State?

Right. Worst of luck, Todd. Hope your career is a colossal failure. Scumbag.
Going to his 4th job in 6 years, what did you expect?

Going to his 4th job in 6 years, what did you expect?

No kidding. But still - word has it that he informed the players via a forwarded text message from the Director of Football Operations. Really??

just a stepping stone to a better job in a major conference- his stock may have dropped a bit this year and he knows he can likely win in the sun belt and have 'head coach' on his resume

I can understand taking a bit of a cut to get the title of Head Coach, but when he had interviewed this yaer for UNC and Kansas, and there are still better mid-major jobs out there (Southern Miss and Houston come to mind), surely he could have gotten a better position even at the same pay than Arky State in the Sun Belt. I know he's from there and everything, but he'll have to succeed there just to get back to a low end BCS Conference job that he turned down (allegedly) last year.

Not saying this about NCAA activity, but surely there was something more to this decision.

I can understand taking a bit of a cut to get the title of Head Coach, but when he had interviewed this yaer for UNC and Kansas, and there are still better mid-major jobs out there (Southern Miss and Houston come to mind), surely he could have gotten a better position even at the same pay than Arky State in the Sun Belt. I know he's from there and everything, but he'll have to succeed there just to get back to a low end BCS Conference job that he turned down (allegedly) last year.

Not saying this about NCAA activity, but surely there was something more to this decision.
There was. Malzahn wanted to be a Head Coach, Chizik held him back from running his full offense this year (one we couldnt do it, two we couldnt keep the defense off the field) and Malzahn did not like that at all. There isnt an open NCAA investigation in to Auburn right now, since it was closed about 5 months ago with no findings, so not sure how that crept in to the conversation.

Malzahn interviewed at UNC and Kansas, and was thought to be the leading candidate at both of those. A lot of folks I have spoken to, have suggested that the crazy interview of Mrs. Malzahn kept Gus from getting those jobs.

Similar to McElwain heading for Colorado State, why leave a well paying Coordinator job at a top school for a bottom tier job?

There was. Malzahn wanted to be a Head Coach, Chizik held him back from running his full offense this year (one we couldnt do it, two we couldnt keep the defense off the field) and Malzahn did not like that at all. There isnt an open NCAA investigation in to Auburn right now, since it was closed about 5 months ago with no findings, so not sure how that crept in to the conversation.

Malzahn interviewed at UNC and Kansas, and was thought to be the leading candidate at both of those. A lot of folks I have spoken to, have suggested that the crazy interview of Mrs. Malzahn kept Gus from getting those jobs.

Similar to McElwain heading for Colorado State, why leave a well paying Coordinator job at a top school for a bottom tier job?

W-E, this was actually meant to be an innocent question, though given our respective fan bases, I understand it maybe not sounding that way.

I know there is not an active investigation. I was actually saying that to exclude that possibility, even though other Bama fans are still dreamily saying that had something to do with it. I don't follow Auburn that closely, but I'd heard rumors of Chizik holding his offense back back, which is why I was asking.

I have no issue with a high level coordinator taking a lower end HC job, but I think Malzhan could have done better with some of the jobs still open or to be opened. The difference with McElwain is that he went the opposite direction salary wise, $700k as OC to $1.3M as HC at CSU. He pulled out of Memphis and Fresno State considerations (allegedly) due to concerns about facilities, support, and being able to coach in the BCS game.

W-E, this was actually meant to be an innocent question, though given our respective fan bases, I understand it maybe not sounding that way.

I know there is not an active investigation. I was actually saying that to exclude that possibility, even though other Bama fans are still dreamily saying that had something to do with it. I don't follow Auburn that closely, but I'd heard rumors of Chizik holding his offense back back, which is why I was asking.

I have no issue with a high level coordinator taking a lower end HC job, but I think Malzhan could have done better with some of the jobs still open or to be opened. The difference with McElwain is that he went the opposite direction salary wise, $700k as OC to $1.3M as HC at CSU. He pulled out of Memphis and Fresno State considerations (allegedly) due to concerns about facilities, support, and being able to coach in the BCS game.
OK, got it. Chizik definitely put a leash on the offense this year, we did not have the talent (offensive line mostly) to execute it. You could see the conversations on the sideline between Chizik and Malzahn get heated at times. Gus is staying to Coach the bowl game, which is a class act in my book, especially with it being a lower bowl game and having no bearing on anything. Everyone knew Gus was going to leave sooner or later, he has stated many times he wanted to be a Head Coach. I am thrilled he is going to Ark St, as he will not take our recruits or assistants with him.

OK, got it. Chizik definitely put a leash on the offense this year, we did not have the talent (offensive line mostly) to execute it. You could see the conversations on the sideline between Chizik and Malzahn get heated at times. Gus is staying to Coach the bowl game, which is a class act in my book, especially with it being a lower bowl game and having no bearing on anything. Everyone knew Gus was going to leave sooner or later, he has stated many times he wanted to be a Head Coach. I am thrilled he is going to Ark St, as he will not take our recruits or assistants with him.

Kind of an interesting situation with Florida, Auburn, and Alabama all needing OCs at the same time. I told my co-worker today that no matter how much they lobbied, none of us wanted to save them from Derek Dooley...the joys of living in Volunteer land.

Kind of an interesting situation with Florida, Auburn, and Alabama all needing OCs at the same time. I told my co-worker today that no matter how much they lobbied, none of us wanted to save them from Derek Dooley...the joys of living in Volunteer land.
Haha, IMO, he is gone after next year. UT is on a downward spiral, not sure when they will be back up again.

Haha, IMO, he is gone after next year. UT is on a downward spiral, not sure when they will be back up again.

I agree...it has never been the easy job the UT fans think it is. Always surprises me how few SEC caliber recruits come out of Tennessee, and when you eliminate the ones from Memphis (since at least 5-6 SEC schools are closer to Memphis than Knoxville is), they have an incredibly small in-state recruiting base.

That's the million dollar question...literally. I haven't heard much, but trying to find out.
I hear some chatter on twitter and a few other sources that Greg Davis is getting some serious consideration from both Auburn and Florida. Good luck with that if true.

I hear some chatter on twitter and a few other sources that Greg Davis is getting some serious consideration from both Auburn and Florida. Good luck with that if true.
I saw that on Twitter, but that's the only place I am hearing that. A name that I was told a few hours ago was Al Borges (now at Michigan), who was OC @ Auburn back in the 2004 days, would love to see Al back in AU.

I saw that on Twitter, but that's the only place I am hearing that. A name that I was told a few hours ago was Al Borges (now at Michigan), who was OC @ Auburn back in the 2004 days, would love to see Al back in AU.

Um... really? His offense was great in 04,05. But became VERY predictable in 06 and 07. I like the guy, and wish him well. But you won't see me clamoring to see him back on the plains.

Um... really? His offense was great in 04,05. But became VERY predictable in 06 and 07. I like the guy, and wish him well. But you won't see me clamoring to see him back on the plains.
Thats because we moved to the Tubershell offense and Tubs wouldnt let Borges run the offense the way he wanted to. I HIGHLY doubt that Chizik will bring him back, very unlikely.

Coaches are jumping from a sinking ship.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing: Tiger Woods is going to be the honorary captain for Stanford at the Fiesta Bowl.

From Tiger's blog:

Before I begin the new season, I will attend the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2 in Arizona to watch Stanford play Oklahoma State. Cardinal head coach David Shaw asked me to be an honorary team captain, and I happily accepted. For Coach Shaw to think highly enough of me to be involved in the game and be able to talk to his kids is very special.

I'm very close to Stanford. They've done so much for me in my life. Everyone knows Coach Shaw and I had a class together. We go way back. It's neat to be able to come back and help him any way that I can.

The Division III Championship game is underway on ESPN2.

Great start for Wayne State, a game opening kickoff return for a TD. 7-0, PSU trails.

Wayne State intercepts PSU, and a couple plays later, PSU intercepts Wayne State. About a 35 yard advantage on the exchange for the Gorillas.

15 yard TD run by Eric Love, Game tied. Two minutes in the game and it's 7-7.

PSU recovers a fumble and turns it into a 37 yard field goal. 10-7 Gorillas.

Second INT by Pitt State. Game is not 6 minutes old and Wayne State has turned it over three times. Gorillas need to stand on their throats and put them away. When they aren't turning it over, it looks like the Warriors can play, so PSU has been getting some big breaks.

Second INT by Pitt State. Game is not 6 minutes old and Wayne State has turned it over three times. Gorillas need to stand on their throats and put them away. When they aren't turning it over, it looks like the Warriors can play, so PSU has been getting some big breaks.

Looks like the Gorilla D is strong. I hope they keep it up.

1 yard TD run by Toney Davis of Wayne State. 14-10 Warriors. 0:13 left in the first quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back