Ever have that freak round where it all seems to come together

flightrisk

Reaction score
I played yesterday in the weekly comp at my club and for some reason everything just clicked. I got round 11 shots under my handicap, which is 7 shots better than any round I have ever played. I play off a 21 handicap so I guess it makes it easier to post a score like this than it would be for a low handicapper, but I have been in ordinary form for the last month and struggling to play to 21 , so I'm pretty happy about it.
Hope the form continues, but it will probably disappear just as easily. Either way I'm excited and I didn't know who else to tell, thought you guys might understand :D

Happy golfing for the new year

Dayum, nice shooting man.

I had a late-afternoon session where I was 2 over for six holes before it got too dark to see. Have never even come close to that before.

Great round! I think we've all those rounds. And then we ask ourselves: why don't we do that all the time?

I did for half a round!

That's so cool dude. I had a day like that once. I was 4 over thru 13 and was even on the back up until then. I was hitting it great and would have definately broken 80 because I felt like I was headed for a few more pars or birds. I had to leave after 13 because I was my friend's ride home and he had to go. I was so mad for a while.

One of these days! Luckily it was the second nine and not the first nine.

Nice round, even better that you didn't get ahead of yourself towards the end of the round.

Nice round, even better that you didn't get ahead of yourself towards the end of the round.

Haha, I wish that were true in the last three holes I 3-putted twice and lost the plot in a bunker taking 3 shots to get out. So could have been better I guess, but im still smiling about it.

Great round man! I've never had that round that is so much better than the others yet. Sadly that will not count for your official handicap unless you do it again... handicaps take out your best and worst rounds out of your last I think 12...

Great round man! I've never had that round that is so much better than the others yet. Sadly that will not count for your official handicap unless you do it again... handicaps take out your best and worst rounds out of your last I think 12...

I'd say we have a different system here then. They take the average of the best 8 of your last 20 rounds and then multiply it by 0.93

I'm off 19 now, so it's heading in the right direction.

A USGA Handicap Index can be established with as few as five scores when you first join a club. As you continue posting scores, your handicap will be figured using the lowest 10 of your most recent 20 rounds.

OOB takes your best 10 of your last 20 rounds and multiplies by .96. Also takes slope and rating into consideration. I believe the USGA does it the same way.

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/howcalculated.htm

I was in Nashville for a big convention one year and one of the vendors was holding a golf tournament on Saturday morning...I didn't know anything about it until Friday night about 8pm and I got asked to play....they said they would rent me clubs and everything..I said sure even though at that point I hadn't played in like 7 months.

Well, it was Friday night at a convention with plenty of free booze and I got HAMMERED!! Got to the room at like 4, had a 8am shotgun start....hell I was still drunk on my ass when we got to the course....we were playing singles stroke play....low score for the day won a trip to Hawaii!!

We made the turn and somebody asked how we were doing and the guy I was riding with said "Tim is 3 under par"...and I said "I am????" and then proceeded to shoot 15 over on the back....I often wondered what I could have shot that day if the idiot had never told me I was 3 under after 9...LOL.

1st and only time I have ever been under par after one side or the other.

I was in Nashville for a big convention one year and one of the vendors was holding a golf tournament on Saturday morning...I didn't know anything about it until Friday night about 8pm and I got asked to play....they said they would rent me clubs and everything..I said sure even though at that point I hadn't played in like 7 months.

Well, it was Friday night at a convention with plenty of free booze and I got HAMMERED!! Got to the room at like 4, had a 8am shotgun start....hell I was still drunk on my ass when we got to the course....we were playing singles stroke play....low score for the day won a trip to Hawaii!!

We made the turn and somebody asked how we were doing and the guy I was riding with said "Tim is 3 under par"...and I said "I am????" and then proceeded to shoot 15 over on the back....I often wondered what I could have shot that day if the idiot had never told me I was 3 under after 9...LOL.

1st and only time I have ever been under par after one side or the other.

This is why the answer should always be, "pretty good" and not the score, it is never a good thing to think about your score before it is posted unless you are a good enough golfer to fuel yourself with that information. I most certainly am not good enough to know what I am shooting and feed off of that information.

I had one round early this summer that everything came together....my driver was long and straight, my irons and distance control were on, and I wasn't thinking about anything on the greens and otherwise...I shot my best round ever 78, which I know won't happen again in the near future...it was a freak round. But it keeps me going when I shoot in the 90s...I know that that is in me...deep in the dark recesses...but it's there.

It's happened a few times and I always just called it being in the zone. It was like I just couldn't hit the ball wrong. The best one was when I shot 74 this year, I never checked the score but knew in the back of my head that it was a special round. Another time it clicked in on the back 9 with a very smooth par on hole after hole. I could not make a birdie putt to save me, but 7 par's in a row until a buddy started talking about what I MIGHT shoot, lol. Bogey on 17 & 18.

I don't call these freak rounds, I call them peak rounds. I know what I am capable of and if it comes together, than I will take it for what it's worth and get out of my own way.

It's happened a few times and I always just called it being in the zone. It was like I just couldn't hit the ball wrong. The best one was when I shot 74 this year, I never checked the score but knew in the back of my head that it was a special round. Another time it clicked in on the back 9 with a very smooth par on hole after hole. I could not make a birdie putt to save me, but 7 par's in a row until a buddy started talking about what I MIGHT shoot, lol. Bogey on 17 & 18.

Me too duey, I seem to walk differently and get a different focus, I pretty much know that I will play well while in the zone.

Two different times.

First time, I had shot 40 on the front nine then proceeded to birdie three of the first four holes on back then knocked in an eagle from 120 on the par 4 17th to shoot 31 on the back for a 71.

Second time, I started birdie, eagle and three more birdies with one bogie on the day to finish with a 67 (five under.)

Most recent was not quiet as good as the first two but three birdies on front for a 33 before the bubble burst that day. (finished with 71)

Congrats Flightrisk on the great round! I've had 9s when I have played in a zone...but never a full round. Once I went to a 9 hole course after work & shot a -1....which is at least 5-7 shots better than I had shot prior.

I don't call these freak rounds, I call them peak rounds. I know what I am capable of and if it comes together, than I will take it for what it's worth and get out of my own way.

This is how I like to think of it, too. I don't think of it as "I'm playing out of my range," I say, "This is what I am capable of".

What I am capable of is even par....

I just started playing this August and began averaging around 95-100. Well one day in Late Sept. I shot a 9 on the front playing by myself and then was joined by a father and son on the back. I kicked it off with a double on the par 5 10th and then rallied off 8 straight pars and two were chips in's. They both thought I was awesome and I just kind of smiled and played it off as best I could. I've worked my game down to the low to mid eighties but have yet to shoot another 38.

The best thing about those rounds for me is there's really very little thought involved. No mid-round swing thoughts or second guessing. Just pure!

Back