2012 Golf Digest Hot List: What Was Tested

I agree war, they'd win the gold award for ugliest line of 2012. The putters is what caught my eye. Some very very intriguing putters coming out this year. Specifically the new Odyssey Metal-X putters.

Agreed, very impressed by the new Odyssey stuff. I've also been looking at all new drivers and continue to droop over the new SC Newport.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I still enjoy this edition. Look forward to the introduction to the new equipment every year.

what was tested

what was tested

im starting to agree with alot of people regarding the hot list,and oem's maybe even certain ones more than others,but ill still read it ofcourse
but one thing i have noticed is that some of this new stuff coming out is making ping look normal,and that simple looks like it really is gonna be best this yr,also with nike iknow theres alot of people that dont rate them,and some of the comments iv seen allready about them copying other brands and their clubs looking like theirs,are going to have some people with egg on their face when they see some of the new stuff from them and other oems
if anything the new vr-s look like a cross between the vr and machspeeds..and i think last yrs combo set looked as smart and clean as anything else going,just wait to see how adams and tm have allready copied nikes compression channel
im by no means a one eyed nike or ping man im def a club ***** but just think nike are underated,and while ping are spozt to be ugly,they have changed that ,and the other oems are helping them this season

question please

question please

hi i was wondering how i get my 'in the bag' stuff to show up on all my posts,im a bit of a spaz on computers,my kids usually work things out for me,like i said before im a bit of an addict for new gear ,and dont have one brand that i stick to and probably never will,but im allways interested to see what other members are using at the moment,so heres what iv got for now
clevland launcher dst
taylormade burner 2.0
maxfli fire 5wood
callaway x22,3/pw
clevland 56* maxfli 60*
sabertooth white ice
(any) callaway balls

hi i was wondering how i get my 'in the bag' stuff to show up on all my posts,im a bit of a spaz on computers,my kids usually work things out for me,like i said before im a bit of an addict for new gear ,and dont have one brand that i stick to and probably never will,but im allways interested to see what other members are using at the moment,so heres what iv got for now
clevland launcher dst
taylormade burner 2.0
maxfli fire 5wood
callaway x22,3/pw
clevland 56* maxfli 60*
sabertooth white ice
(any) callaway balls

Once you have enough posts (i think 10-15), a signature feature will be enabled under your profile settings. Check out the Tech Support section for more info

Did TM's Rocketballz turn gold? Imagine! Now we can all have golden ballz. What a time we live in.

The GD Hot List is a joke. Supposedly they perform comprehensive testing and analysis in order to provide an accurate estimation of the effectivness of each club. The first page even breaks down the panel of experts that were consulted (scientists advise regarding the innovation category, players comment on performance, look, sound feel, retailers evaluate demand etc.).

If this process is really as exhaustive as GD claim it is, surely it must be producing a lot more data than GD are actually presenting in the Hot List. All you get in the Hot List is a pathetic one or two paragraphs of generic, recycled rubbish that usually runs along the lines of - "feels awesome", "can't miss if you try", "really launches", "very forgiving", "ball really jumps of the face" etc.

Not to mention that all of the player comments are overwhelmingly positive. For example, the highest rated driver this year was the Callaway RAZR Fit (surprise!) with five star ratings in performance, innovation and look/sound/feel (actually the Titleist 910 D2/D3 also had fivers in these cats but i'm ignoring it because it was in last years edition). The feedback mentioned that the club had a nice sound, was forgiving and justified Callaway's late entry into the adjustability market. The one negative - the tour version has more adjustability options than the off-the-shelf model.

Now lets look at the Cleveland CG Black - only a silver award winner in the driver category, with four stars in performance and look/sound/feel and three and a half in innovation. The feedback talked up the club's softness and responsiveness. The one negative - apparently using a driver that weighs significantly less than your other clubs takes some adjustment (oh really!?).

So why the discrepency in ratings between the Callaway and the Cleveland? The Hot List certainly provides no adequate justification - we're just supposed to take GD's word for it. All the Hot List is doing is unfairly biasing the casual golfer against certain manufacturers. I'm not saying GD are wrong about their ratings, I just expect more from a publisher as reputable as they are.

They also fail to explain how the ratings of certain clubs inexplicably drop between Hot List editions. Last year the Mizuno MP 53 irons had four and a half stars in performance, five in innovation and four in feel. This year only four in performance and innovation, but feel has somehow improved to four and a half? I'm pretty sure the club hasn't changed - has new technology really raised the bar that much higher?

Guys - the fact that you read and post on this forum tells me that you're likely not going to be influenced by something akin to the Hot List anyway. I just wish GD would embrace it as an opportunity to provide truly useful information about golf clubs, rather than a chance to kiss-up to the OEM big boys.

I Am curious to see what they say about the Yonex clubs i had some when i was a teenager and cant find them anywhere

Great list. I am thrilled to see they tested quite a few models from the world best putter company. Seemore is positioned to really take off folks. As I always say... you are either gaming a SeeMore or you will.

TapAhoy!

Why wasn't the mashie 3W tested is what I want to know.

Edit: I see it in the list but no mention in the write up? Wtc

TM tops in everything. Go figure

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Why wasn't the mashie 3W tested is what I want to know.

Edit: I see it in the list but no mention in the write up? Wtc

I was thinking the exact same thing.

It s all about the dollar the big OEM(s) put in GD for advertising.
I trust the reviews done by THP and it's members.

Totally, I would never have discovered the Mashie without THP as all the UK magazines gave it very average scores and it was only because of the enthusiasm for the club on here that made me try it out

I read the driver reviews and there is not real information on any of them. Just a collection of strange comments to justify their rating of each club, one of the strangest ratings to me is on the Ping G20, it rated high except in the "Innovation" category and the "Demand" category so it was on the silver list instead of gold. Just how much do innovation and demand mean to how well a driver plays?

Haven't read anything yet. Have they improved the testing? Maybe included some details rather than just fluff?

Haven't read anything yet. Have they improved the testing? Maybe included some details rather than just fluff?
Nope, not at all. Blah as usual and the fact that "demand" still plays a role is asinine as always.

very confused as to why the J40 wedges get talked about, but nothing on the irons. So confused!

Nope, not at all. Blah as usual and the fact that "demand" still plays a role is asinine as always.

Excellent usage of the word "Asinine", I shall use it more often

very confused as to why the J40 wedges get talked about, but nothing on the irons. So confused!

Me too, I lust after those irons, LUST.

Excellent usage of the word "Asinine", I shall use it more often

Thank you sir, one of my favorite words if you know how to use it.

The more that I think about the "demand" and "innovation" criteria, the more I get conflicted between the two. Innovation is supposed to mean how much each OEM improved the product through technology compared to last year's comparable model. I remember seeing that the Nike Method only had 4 stars of innovation, that blew my mind. The innovation catagory seems to be lumped into demand way too much. That the innovation has lead to the increased demand, or how well the company has marketed it's innovation. Which is stupid! It has nothing to do with how the club could improve an amateur golfer's game. I laugh when I see the 910D2/D3 on last year's and this year's list. And yet the 910D still gets 5 stars for innovation. NOTHING CHANGED. It isn't that innovative anymore.

Sounds like they have been rather busy testing. It still amazes me how many new products come out every year! You have a new set of clubs or woods from late season and they are already out of date. Amazing! Should be a good read here in a few months.

Bridgestone didn't throw enough money at the advertising department at Golf Digest.

This hotlist has no catagory for belly/long putters, which seems like they are missing a huge market segment that they have helped create.

No mention of the driver either. After being on THP for a few years now, I've come to realize that the hot list is really incomplete.

Back