TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

Mine is the oldest of the lot - I've got a Ping G10/Accra combo. There are 2 910s - our Titleist staffer has a Blueboard and the other set up is a RIP. Our senior golfer has a Wishon 919/NVS that I built. The others are both Callaway - one Razor Hawk and one Razor Hawk Tour.
What are most of the guys setups that could not be touched?

Please know that the R11s will probably be the best fit for some people - too early to tell whom for sure but our testing again suggests that these are for golfers who don't miss the center of the face much and just want to tweak their ballflight a little. For the majority of mid and high handicappers that walk in our door, Callaway and Ping will probably be the better options as their main offerings are quite forgiving.

Ouch! This is really surprising. Are you saying that the R11s is not as good as a number of other drivers? How many are better? Which ones?

Your shop took a bath on the R11? My local Golf Galaxy sold them like crazy and still says its the best selling driver they have. Maybe you need better sales guys? I thought the white sold itself..:bulgy-eyes:

Domestically across the board, you are correct. The R11 outsold every other driver on the market (by a pretty large margin). These are actual numbers from the number one source for sales figures (golf datatech).

Here is an interesting stat. When the R11 & Burner SuperFast 2.0 were first launched, for a 100 day window following that, white drivers (mostly made up of those two), outsold every other driver on the market over 3 to 1.

Domestically across the board, you are correct. The R11 outsold every other driver on the market (by a pretty large margin). These are actual numbers from the number one source for sales figures (golf datatech).

Here is an interesting stat. When the R11 & Burner SuperFast 2.0 were first launched, for a 100 day window following that, white drivers (mostly made up of those two), outsold every other driver on the market over 3 to 1.

That is a staggering number. And I dont doubt it for one minute either. Saw both the new ones again today and I fully expect that this trend with continue.

This is no surprise to me considering yesterday at the range I saw 2 white burners, 1 white R11 and 1 white RBZ. Add my white R11S, so, that's 5 white drivers in total. There were 11 people at the range and of the six of them that had other drivers, two of these guys had "drivers" or should I a 1-wood that would make Captain Cave Man happy. They both commented on my R11S and also the guy in the stall next to me's R11.

Last edited:
So how many of you have already ordered this from Blind9 like I just did lol.

So how many of you have already ordered this from Blind9 like I just did lol.
Thats awesome man, I look forward to seeing it in the marketplace in about a month:alien:

This one I think you might keep, I have to admit it has me pondering and I have no need for a driver at all.

the only thing I hated about the R11 was the forgiveness, I said since the day the R11 came out if this one came out (460cc version) I would buy it. I think this one might put my driver ho'ing days behind me.

If your in Melbourne and are interested go to Drummond golf Melbourne city. I was in there on Friday to have a look at the hybrids and they had the whole range out and selling. I asked the guy if I paid today whether I could take it home today and he said yeah no problems. As far as I know Drummond are the only store in Melbourne to have stock at the moment. House of golf doesn't have it yet. Driver and 3wood felt really nice. Hybrid gave me crazy distances, want to hit one on a range first before making a decision. Was telling me 260 yards off the tee for a 3hybrid which I don't believe.
Edit: forgot this was the r11s thread. Was talking about the rbz range above. Did get to hit the r11s driver though. Isn't for me unfortunately. The bigger head is nicer for the average golfer like me than the previous r11 but I couldn't hit it accurately another for me to consider it for my bag.

Picked my r11s up this morning from House of Golf. Love it.

Hello,
I was fortunate yesterday to play an 18 hole round of golf with the R11s. Last year I pre-ordered the R11 with a matrix HD6 shaft. I absolutely loved it and I had my best driving season in a long time. Before I give my thoughts to you, I would like you to know that I absolutely love my R11, as it has been the best driver that I have ever played.
When I found out that TM was coming out with the R11s, I pre-ordered one immediately with the same HD6 shaft. With the R11, I like everyone else felt that it was so solid on center hits. On off center hits I did lose a little yardage but the accuracy was still there and never lost enough yardage to not use the R11. I had no problem with the sound of the club and actually liked it. It felt and sounded very solid.
When I went to play my round I put the R11s head on my HD6 shaft and let me tell you folks that this is not your Daddy’s R11. I have not played golf for a couple of weeks and was wondering what kind of swing I would have to try out the R11s. On the very first tee shot, it was love at first hit. I pushed it a tad to the right rough, but right away I knew that this was a very special and different animal. The ball exploded off the club face and it was unlike any shot that I hit with my original R11. And keep in mind that I love my R11 but that was a different shot and sound that I have ever experienced with the original. For the next 13 times I used it, all my tee shots were so solid except for 1 and I made a bad swing and it so it was my fault and not the fault of the club. I can tell you that no matter where I hit the ball on the clubface, the ball just shot off the face. When I hit my original R11 off center I could feel it and I usually lost a little something off the drive.
My ball flight was penetrating but definitely carried more to my eye with the R11s. The fairways were soft yesterday and the temp was around 40 degrees. I measured a drive with my skycaddy and I carried it 232. Not bad for a cold day, I can’t wait to see what happens on a warm day.
I kept the setting on the R11s the same as I had on the original which was 9 degrees of loft, ASP open 10 grams in the heel.
The majority of the drives during my round yesterday I left a little right but I feel that it was my swing as I had not played in a few weeks. A driving range session could fix that pretty quickly. But I kept everything inside the treeline and hit 7 of 14 fairways.
This club does remind me of my Supertri as the r11s seemed much more forgiving to me. The main point that I want to get across here is that to me, the club face does seem hotter. It could also seem that way because the head is supposed to be more aerodynamic and that could explain the explosiveness as well.
The size of the clubhead does not appear to be bigger to my eye for some reason. It looked like I was hitting my old R11 head. I do like the R11 on the top of the clubhead. The sound was much more appealing as well. It sounded more like a crack of a wooden bat than that of an aluminum bat such as the original R11. I never did have a problem with the sound of the original R11.
After one round with it, I am so glad that I pre-ordered the new R11s. It is going to be so much fun to play with it.

the only thing I hated about the R11 was the forgiveness, I said since the day the R11 came out if this one came out (460cc version) I would buy it. I think this one might put my driver ho'ing days behind me.[/QUOTE]

Once a Ho always a Ho :embarrassed:.... You can't change your ways 10YD so suck it up ... You might set a record with this new toy so I'm rooting ya on.

Hello,
I was fortunate yesterday to play an 18 hole round of golf with the R11s. Last year I pre-ordered the R11 with a matrix HD6 shaft. I absolutely loved it and I had my best driving season in a long time. Before I give my thoughts to you, I would like you to know that I absolutely love my R11, as it has been the best driver that I have ever played.
When I found out that TM was coming out with the R11s, I pre-ordered one immediately with the same HD6 shaft. With the R11, I like everyone else felt that it was so solid on center hits. On off center hits I did lose a little yardage but the accuracy was still there and never lost enough yardage to not use the R11. I had no problem with the sound of the club and actually liked it. It felt and sounded very solid.
When I went to play my round I put the R11s head on my HD6 shaft and let me tell you folks that this is not your Daddy’s R11. I have not played golf for a couple of weeks and was wondering what kind of swing I would have to try out the R11s. On the very first tee shot, it was love at first hit. I pushed it a tad to the right rough, but right away I knew that this was a very special and different animal. The ball exploded off the club face and it was unlike any shot that I hit with my original R11. And keep in mind that I love my R11 but that was a different shot and sound that I have ever experienced with the original. For the next 13 times I used it, all my tee shots were so solid except for 1 and I made a bad swing and it so it was my fault and not the fault of the club. I can tell you that no matter where I hit the ball on the clubface, the ball just shot off the face. When I hit my original R11 off center I could feel it and I usually lost a little something off the drive.
My ball flight was penetrating but definitely carried more to my eye with the R11s. The fairways were soft yesterday and the temp was around 40 degrees. I measured a drive with my skycaddy and I carried it 232. Not bad for a cold day, I can’t wait to see what happens on a warm day.
I kept the setting on the R11s the same as I had on the original which was 9 degrees of loft, ASP open 10 grams in the heel.
The majority of the drives during my round yesterday I left a little right but I feel that it was my swing as I had not played in a few weeks. A driving range session could fix that pretty quickly. But I kept everything inside the treeline and hit 7 of 14 fairways.
This club does remind me of my Supertri as the r11s seemed much more forgiving to me. The main point that I want to get across here is that to me, the club face does seem hotter. It could also seem that way because the head is supposed to be more aerodynamic and that could explain the explosiveness as well.
The size of the clubhead does not appear to be bigger to my eye for some reason. It looked like I was hitting my old R11 head. I do like the R11 on the top of the clubhead. The sound was much more appealing as well. It sounded more like a crack of a wooden bat than that of an aluminum bat such as the original R11. I never did have a problem with the sound of the original R11.
After one round with it, I am so glad that I pre-ordered the new R11s. It is going to be so much fun to play with it.

Good report! I heard this was a more forgiving driver and it looks like it will be hot item for sure.

the only thing I hated about the R11 was the forgiveness, I said since the day the R11 came out if this one came out (460cc version) I would buy it. I think this one might put my driver ho'ing days behind me.[/QUOTE]

Once a Ho always a Ho :embarrassed:.... You can't change your ways 10YD so suck it up ... You might set a record with this new toy so I'm rooting ya on.

haha thanks OG! I need all the rooting I can get hehe. This sounds like "THE ONE" to me.

Does anyone know if there is much difference between the R11 and R11s fairway woods?

I can tell the difference between the drivers, but not sure if the extra $50+ is worth the new fairway woods.

look what i got today

499f490d.jpg

6a286309.jpg

4d6181d5.jpg

befd7bd7.jpg

only got a short hit with it and it just felt like my supertri so far

Back