Omega Dubai Desert Classic [Spoilers]

JonA-UK

Reaction score
Handicap
9.4 CONGU
Haven't seen a thread on this tournament. For those interested in the European Tour....

With Luke Donald taking the week off, the next three best players in the world are in action in Dubai. The conditions couldn't be better and are perfect for scoring. Round one stories so far:

• Spaniard Rafael Cabrera-Bello looked to be on course for the European Tour's first ever 59 after posting 9 birdies in his first 11 holes. Unfortunately for him, the birdies dried up and he parred his way home for 63 and a 2-shot lead at present.
  • Desert lover Thomas Bjorn fared better in his opening round this week. After a 79 in round 1 of last week's 54 hole Qatar Masters (scuppering my bet on him), he fired 8 birdies in a 66 today.
  • Lee Westwood is down in a share of 18th after a solid 69.
  • Rory McIlroy made bogey on the shortish par 3 7th, but has rallied with birdies at 9, 10 and 11. He sits -2 through 12, the same mark as the ruthlessly efficient German Martin Kaymer, who is through 11.
  • Playing with Fred Couples and Monty, youngster of the group big John Daly birdied 4 of his first 8 holes (on the more difficult front 9) to creep up the leaderboard. His obligatory meltdown followed at 9, twice finding the water before settling for a triple. He decided not to quit this week though and bounced back with birdie on the 10th. He is currently -1 playing the 11th, one behind Boom Boom.
  • Starting on 10, Scotsman Stephen Gallacher aced the 190yd 15th to move to -4. He remains on that mark through 12.

Promises to be a good week of golf watching, with this and the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.

Watching this now, lots of big names.

Mods - can we get a spoiler tag added to the title please?

Thanks Jon, following along with this one and it has an interesting field out there. Would love to see the likes of Couples, Olly and Monty at the top end of the leaderboard this week.

Rory is currently -5 thru 16, and looking good.

Beautiful day, no wind seems to be rare in Dubai.
Rory played great on the back 9!

He did. Could easily have picked up a couple more shots. Looks to be a similar story with the wind tomorrow, so can see the early starters (Rory and Kaymer included) piling the pressure on the afternoon lot. Nice to see Ross Fisher go bogey free after last week's debacle.

Looks like you're spot on so far Jon. Rory putting up a nice 65 to get himself to -13 after round 2. That's 2 ahead of Martin Kaymer, who seems to have decided to join us for 2012 after all!

Closer to home for me, Steven Gallacher shot a 65 to get to -10 overall. Great ball striker who struggles on the greens, would be nice to see him get that putter going.

They just showed Miguel Angel Jimenez walk on someone's putting line on No. 2 and I couldn't believe it. Then they said it was the drive of John Daly, from the group behind. I still think I would have walked around.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

They just showed Miguel Angel Jimenez walk on someone's putting line on No. 2 and I couldn't believe it. Then they said it was the drive of John Daly, from the group behind. I still think I would have walked around.

Shame they didn't stay with the group and show you what happened when the group behind made the green. You don't mess with the MAJ.

Shame they didn't stay with the group and show you what happened when the group behind made the green. You don't mess with the MAJ.

Don't think I would pick on headcase Daly at the best of times, let alone after he'd taken a quad bogey 8 a few holes earlier (to go with his triple yesterday). Leader Rory has only made one more birdie than Big John over the first two days, yet he's 12 shots ahead at halfway!

RORY needs to start getting some wins and give himself a mental boost. Not mention some money because it looks like he has been globe trotting lately. I really enjoy him hope he can bring back the dominance that WOODS once had.Which would make Golf even more fun to watch.:clapp:

Kaymer made his FIRST hole in one? Now that's something you wouldn't have guessed.

Kaymer made his FIRST hole in one? Now that's something you wouldn't have guessed.

I agree. I'm shocked of how many pro's don't hit their first one until they're on tour.

Really hope Rory can keep it up. The guy had a clean and dominating looking round today. Had the swagger going.

rory needing the money, lol, he doesnt pay for his hotels and travel, his sponsors do and managment. rory doesnt pay for anything hardly. he the richest kid in the game apart from tiger now. plus he doesnt need wins for confidance as hes always up there in with a chance, reminds me of tiger woods if he doesnt iwn hes always up there. rory i doubt will be dominant like woods but will win 6-10 majors i reckon. also didnt he just win a few months ago in asia. dont forget hes still really young.

Go Lee! you UPS sponsored stud.

Rory with a bogey free -7 today. He must be AMP'ed up today....

Did something happen?

Doubt it. I'd guess Daly doesn't have the stones to stand up to anyone capable of defending themselves. Just a little defiant sign from MAJ that he should have waited.

Rory sporting a nice hair cut, is that new? Guess I don't remember from Qatar.

Doubt it. I'd guess Daly doesn't have the stones to stand up to anyone capable of defending themselves. Just a little defiant sign from MAJ that he should have waited.

That's how I saw it too. MAJ would never do that under normal circumstances but it seemed to me that JD didn't even signal that he wanted to go for the green so that the group could mark balls and let him play up.

I would've done same thing MAJ did...well, I would have a big burley guy do it for me and then run like hello

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAJ is one of my favorite golfers period. Glad he stood up for himself, not that he ever wouldnt.

Go Lee! What a legend.

Sent from my forged iPad

Rory has been working out.....dude has put on some serious muscle. Ready for him to bring his talents state side.....gonna be some great battles this year I believe.

Rory scrapped his way round today. Some ugly drives coming home, could've scored a lot worse than even par. He'll be in the third last group tomorrow, which I think works more in his favour than if he were leading. Bjorn looked the likely leader, but three late bogeys did for him. Westwood was majestic and is normally a very reliable front runner. Couldn't really be set up any better for the final day.

Lee has only won 9 or 21 times leading going into the final round I think they said this morning. So, not saying it will happen, but may make for an interesting Sunday, especially if we someone shoot a 66-67 being only a few shots back.

I'm going with Kaymer as my dark horse for tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see if the wind picks up tomorrow. The greens still look receptive enough but looking at how the last couple of groups were spraying the drives around today a good wind good make it real fun.

Back