2012 Bridgestone Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

Test Date: 2/10/12
Testing Ball: 2012 Bridgestone B330-RXS
Environment: Mostly Sunny, 52*, Right ankle in brace

I played 9 holes today exclusively with the B330-RXS. I wanted to see how adding a ball with higher spin would affect my shots without worrying about another ball. I typically hit a little higher than normal shot, especially with my wedges. Most of my wedges into greens do not rollout much if any. On hole 1, 2, and 3, I absolutely killed the ball with my driver with drives of 242, 241, and 255. The next few drives were avergae, but in the fairway, as my mind was on other things. I then finished up with 235yds right down the fairway, with absolutely no rollout.

Off the tee, this ball really gets going. The ball flight was med to a little higher, similar to the RX. It is a little hard to tell about rollout, until the fairways get really dry, but it looks promising.

Into the greens, with my irons, I was hitting my yardages, for the most part. I was a little anxious today, so everything was just slightly off. That being said, I did not fel like the ball was compressing quite like the 2012 RX did for me. I don't know how to explain it other than feel coming off the club. After a round of 9 with each, initially I feel like for me the RX just compresses a little more for whatever reason.

Putting, I felt like the RXS rolled a little further than the RX did on Wednesday. I believe I was using the same putting stroke as I always do, and the greens were in the same condition, the RXS just seemed to have a little more coming off the putter.

Overall, it was a good round, but I can tell enough subtle differences in the ball initially that it will take me a couple rounds with each to get one or both dialed in.

Putted a bit more today and for the people that had questions about the feel for each one, I think they feel very close to the same, but the RX may have more of a "clickly" sound than the RXS. They both feel very soft off of the putter and have more of a tunk sound than a tink. Here is another putting video I made for people to hear the sound. I alternated RX - RXS - RX- RXS - RX - RXS.

I got mine today, and the packaging absolutely rules. I love the look of the balls, and I can't wait to get out and test them.

My initial impressions are that these balls feel similar to the touch with last year's model of these golf balls. I love the look of the words on the side and the new little arrow things on them. The dual dimples are pretty suttle, but I like the complement they add to the overall look. That's about all I have for now.

I think I'm going to go out tomorrow and do some short game work with them. I'll be back tomorrow with a writeup of how it goes!

Some good reviews so far everyone!

Playdough, nice to see some stats already too. I can't wait to get home from my business trip and start testing these out. I'll have my first chance at them sometime on Monday.

The 2012 Bridgestone B330 and B330S hit the short game area and then the course today. I spent a few hours this morning hitting various chips and pitches from three different distances. Both balls felt soft off of the club face and looked good at address on all shots.

On the shorter shots (10-15 yards), I did not see much difference between the balls. Both balls felt soft off of the face and rolled out similar distances.

On the mid range shots (20-30 yards), I started to see a little difference. I liked both balls, one would have to just get use to the B330 rolling out a little more than the B330S. I really liked how the B330S checked up. I compared this ball to last year's model and noticed a similar reaction off of the club face. It was tough to say, but I think this year's B330S may have had a little more spin.

On the long range pitches and chips (30-40 yards) I started to see a little more difference between the two balls. I could clearly see the spin difference between the two at this distance, obviously the B330S was spinning more.

I then moved to the practice bunker and tried them there. Again, both balls performed well, but the B330S displayed more spin. Both balls checked up as you would expect coming out of a green side bunker, but the B330S just stood out to me.

Overall, I liked both balls around the green, but I would lean toward the B330S. I really think these balls would just come down to personal preference related to how they performed around the green.

I made my way to the practice green and putted several times from several distances. As others have said, these are really soft off of the putter face. I did not really notice any glaring performance differences between the two while putting.

Once I finally made it on the course, I was really impressed with both balls. I hit my first tee shot with the B330. This ball really got out there. I hit a draw and the ball rolled out pretty well. I am not someone that typically gets much roll. These balls however seemed to help me a little. We played #10 first today, because the Champions Tour had a qualifying event at the course for next week's ACE Group Classic in Naples, FL. (The video below is of my first tee shot with the B330.)

Play was slow today, so I was able to switch the balls in and out and hit a few of the same shots with the different balls. I did not really notice any distance difference between the two on the course today. Both balls held the greens nicely on full shots. The B330S did have noticeably more spin on full shots. Overall first day impressions...I liked both balls, but the B330S stood out for me.

Great stuff guys, you all are doing a great job in here.

Testing Date: 2/10/12
Weather: Cloudy, Low 50's, Calm wind

Initial Thoughts:

The packaging from Bridgestone is top notch. They didn't just provide everyone with 2 sleeves, instead they actually had a special box manufactured for this. Bridgestone continues to impress and take things the extra step.

I love the e-series balls with the dual dimple technology. I wasn't sure how they were going to incorporate that into the premium line, but they look very similar. I'm kind of picky when it comes to alignment line on balls and the B330 is just what I'm looking for. The alignment line is simple, but will work very well (for me). I don't like to stare down at an alignment arrow that has too much going on (ex: e series balls).

Testing:

My B330 balls arrived this afternoon so I headed to the practice green to chip. A friend and I played a game of closest to the pin from various locations around the green. I used my 56* wedge for all shots. I hit balls high and low and found that the B330 worked a little better for me. I had some that would land soft and run out, and the B330s seemed to run a little more compared to the B330. The B330 seemed to hop and grab quite a bit on well struck, longer chips and pitches. As far as feel goes, they both felt very similar. I didn't hole any pitches, but had several lip out. If I had been on the course, I would have saved par quite a bit as I seemed to leave myself with tap ins and 2-4' putts fairly frequently.

Both balls performed similarly with bump and runs as well as flop shots. I hit several high floppers with each ball and they would land soft and trickle just a bit. I saw the biggest difference between the balls with mid trajectory pitches. The B330s would bounce and roll out a fair amount. The B330 would bounce and grab fairly hard. This was a little unexpected because I thought the B330s was the higher spin of the two. This didn't happen just once, but I noticed both balls act like this several times.

I spent about 30 minutes hitting various pitches and chips today to get familiar with the balls. I had been planning on playing 18+ tomorrow, but it looks as if mother nature isn't going to cooperate. I will spend some time tonight putting with each ball on my putting green and might go to Golfsmith tomorrow to hit some on the launch monitor. Until next time...

Don't have time for a big write up... so a brief summary of how they reacted on ship shots: This is into a net only.

RXS is again the softest but didn't feel as soft as the ProV1. It seemed to spin about the same as the ProV1 (based on how far the ball rolled back at me). The RX was again comparable to the ProV1x. My initial thoughts after short game initial review is that RXS is geared more towards short game control and RX is geared more towards distance and accuracy with full swings, basically as advertised. great balls so far!

I felt the need to do this:

:banana:I'M IN THE 1,000 POST CLUB NOW!!! :banana:

Had some more time putting inside with the RX & RXS. Really liking the feel of these off the putter face. Can't wait to get out and get these on some grass. Cold weather be damned, if its not snowing I'll be at a short game area somewhere tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I received the package today of the RX and RXS Bridgestone's. I hope to roll some putts tomorrow and also hit some pitch shots. I'll post a couple of pic's after that and give some initial impressions.
Thank you THP and Bridgestone!

Started reading some of the other posts, and decided I'd write something up first, then go back and read a bit more in depth so as not to skew my initial thoughts.

Today it was fairly nice, about 40 at tee time, and 48 when we finished, with a slight breeze. Greens were pretty soft and grabby. I tried to play the B330RX all day today, and did so on all but a couple of shots as I went into a hazard, or OB and had to drop. Air was very humid in the morning, about 80%, and somewhat foggy. Distance seemed to be about 20 yards off with tee shots in the AM, but it did warm a bit and get sunny later, so the ball really started flying. Nothing really to speak of the first 6 holes, as it seemed like a normal round for me. Some shots went well, and I also struggled with a low snap hook at times. Nothing to really mention up to this point.

Seventh hole is a par 5 playing 560....breeze off the right, but nothing to worry about. I aim to hit the area marked in green as it's pretty safe for a tee shot anywhere from 225 to 300 yards. A nice little draw works best, keeping it right of the bunkers. I ended up nuking one where the red area is, just off the fairway left. Really nice high draw, and it carried a bit longer than normal. Made me think that maybe these new balls do go a bit longer, but not sure as you do get lucky once in a while. (the bunkers past the waste area are a 250 yard carry.) I had about 275 left from a somewhat sketchy lie, so hit hybrid, and then a wedge to the green. Made par, but thought that with a bit more accuracy, I might have made it in 2 even though I'm not the longest hitter. :D
Hole7.jpg

18th hole, and again, pleasantly surprised to find a tee shot that went a bit farther than I normally hit. I'd like to say it's the new ball, so maybe there is an advantage to the new design. Our regular tee box 490 on this hole, but we were moved up to 445. Uphill par 5, and the tee shot works best hitting a ball way out right, and having i come slightly back left, catching the fairway that slopes right to left. My tee shot started at the right edge of the fairway, and worked back just a bit left...the shot I want all the time with a driver. Was very pleased with the result. I had 190 uphill from the right center of the fairway. I am aiming at the flag, hoping to hit it just left, so as to get it on the green between the bunkers. (flag is the green area, red is where I want it to land.)
18A.jpg

I actually hit the ball on my line, but it flew the green...into the Valley Of Sin. Dead from there, but the ball was dead on. I think the new version is a few yards longer than the older version, and for me, seems a bit straighter. Tried to hit it to the green area, but it went about 20 extra yards into the red area.
18B.jpg

I pitched it back onto the green, and 2 putted for par, but me being within distance to make a par 5 in two is amazing. Must say, when struck well, the new ball seems to me like it is a few yards longer, and flies a bit straighter. I know it's only a few rounds so far, but not disappointed at all in these new balls. They seem to be everything that Bridgestone claims they wanted to do in a ball.

I did whack a cart path with a nasty drive, and it did finally scuff the ball a bit. I played this same ball all day though, and it didn't seem to hurt it much. Very impressive so far.
Scuff1.jpg

A light dusting and all of the short game areas around me are closed. I will try again later today or tomorrow. Sorry guys.

A light dusting and all of the short game areas around me are closed. I will try again later today or tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Exact same thing for me. I should be able to get out and give some initial thoughts on performance tomorrow or Monday.

Some nice reviews coming in last night! Few questions/comments.

divebell: did you notice any additional side spin off the tee with driver comparing the 330 & 330S?

dd67: that is quite surprising to hear that the 330 was biting better on those pitches compared to the 330S. I knew they were trying to add additional greenside spin to the non S line and sounds like they succeeded. Interesting to see if that trend you saw continues.

dogman: I am glad to see that you may be getting some more distance out of the new RX. Hard to fathom that they got more greenside spin and more distance without increasing the side spin. Does it get much better than that?

Dogman I love the dots man. Awesome review

I finally got my bundle of joy from THP and Bridgestone yesterday. Seem like it took ever! Wonderful looking packaging! I won't bother with pics of package and balls as this has been done, but I will say the dimple in dimple design is odd to look at first. It seems to make the ball "busy" when looking at it in hand. But at address i couldn't tell a difference between the old 330's and the new 330's. The little dimple seems to disappear as you get a little away from the ball. The basic large dimple pattern seems to very close to the same, if not the same between the old and new versions of the two balls. Although the new 330's seem to maybe be a bit more white, but that may come from the extra little dimple in dimple just reflecting the light a little different. But its a very bright white. Easy on the eye. The feel in hand of the two balls seemed very similar between the 330 and 330-S. Not a big difference of in hand feel. The new series did seem to offer a little firmer cover, but very little. Now on the data...

A little background on the data and how I got it. My neighborhood course has a Full Swing Golf Sim in the club house. I decide to base all my testing from there, because I can usually get in the sim in the morning time with no issue. I tested several balls for this round of testing to get baseline numbers. My next round of testing which will probably happen next week will focus on just the 330 and 330-S, both old and new. I tested 9 balls total including the new 330-330S, old 330-330S, Bridgestone Fixx (my current winter ball) and E6, Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x, Srixon Z-Star. Couldn't find the TaylorMade Penta TP I have. I tried to get a decent cross section of balls to baseline test. All testing was conducted using Adams SpeedLine Fast 10 9.5* with stock Wasabi stiff flex shaft. (I bought this driver unfit, regret that choice, but it is what it is) Swing speed is roughly 107-111 mph. So I fall in to the B330-330S rating. I would say that about 85% of the shots fell on the sweet spot or within half a ball based on feel. I took 4 numbers and made a five swing ave. Total distance (TD), Carry (C), Launch Angle (LA) and Ball speed (BS) in MPH. Heres what I found...(these are in order I hit them)

Bridgestone Fixx; Max total 292, max carry 277. Ave: TD 272.8, C 259, LA 13*, BS 167
Bridgestone B330; Max total 297, max carry 282. Ave: TD 268, C 258, LA 14.2, BS 171.2
Bridgestone B330S; Max total 296, max carry 281. Ave: TD 291.4, C277.8, LA 12.2 BS 172
Titleist ProV1x; Max total 296, max carry 283. Ave: TD 286.6, C 274.8, LA 13, BS 172
Titleist ProV1; Max total 300, max carry 284. Ave: TD 281.8, C 268.6, LA 12.6, BS 167.6
Srixon Z-Star; Max total 291, max carry 275. Ave: TD 283.4, C 269.6, LA 12.2, BS 167.8
Bridgestone e6; Max total 293, max carry 276. Ave: TD 286, C 269.8, LA 11, BS 167.6
Bridgestone B330 (2012) Max total 292, max carry 278 Ave: TD 284.6, C 267, LA 10.6, BS 169.2
Bridgestone B330S (2012) Max total 294, max carry 277, Ave: TD 282.6, C 267.8, LA 10.6, BS 169.5

What I found interesting was that even though the ProV1 and V1x both had great numbers, there ball flight was awful. Every ball to the right with cut spin. I couldn't draw that ball. Didn't have that issue with any other ball. The Z-Star was the least impressive. It felt dead. No pop to it. The 2009 version of the B330S felt the most alive followed by the 2012 version even though the ball speed numbers don't really show it. For me the 330 both the 2010 and 2012, felt hard. Not much feedback from them. The e6 really suprised me alot, I felt that it was going to be just another ball, but great distance from a lack of ball speed, but I feel this ball would be short off my irons and could lack spin. The Fixx is what it is, softer ball, lower compression, and quite a bit of side spin as well. I'v actually got a review of this ball posted in another thread.

Overall my feelings are mixed. I felt like the the 2009 version of the B330S was the perfect ball. I haven't played anything better and the sim numbers backed it. The 2012 version I think has what it takes, but i need more work and more data behind it. I want the 2012 version to be better, but right now, I can't say it is. I want to get it back to the sim and work with just those 4 balls. I also look forward to getting them in real life and playing them, hopfully next week as well, as our weather has turned for the worse.

I hope someone find this long post helpful and gets some good info from it. I have all the raw data so if anyone wants more let me know. Will probably work on some putting numbers tonight to post tomorrow.

Very good comparison and use of local "resources"! This is what I like to see- head-to-head on a monitor, then on course. Very good job. Can't wait to see volume 2!

Started reading some of the other posts, and decided I'd write something up first, then go back and read a bit more in depth so as not to skew my initial thoughts.

Today it was fairly nice, about 40 at tee time, and 48 when we finished, with a slight breeze. Greens were pretty soft and grabby. I tried to play the B330RX all day today, and did so on all but a couple of shots as I went into a hazard, or OB and had to drop. Air was very humid in the morning, about 80%, and somewhat foggy. Distance seemed to be about 20 yards off with tee shots in the AM, but it did warm a bit and get sunny later, so the ball really started flying. Nothing really to speak of the first 6 holes, as it seemed like a normal round for me. Some shots went well, and I also struggled with a low snap hook at times. Nothing to really mention up to this point.

Seventh hole is a par 5 playing 560....breeze off the right, but nothing to worry about. I aim to hit the area marked in green as it's pretty safe for a tee shot anywhere from 225 to 300 yards. A nice little draw works best, keeping it right of the bunkers. I ended up nuking one where the red area is, just off the fairway left. Really nice high draw, and it carried a bit longer than normal. Made me think that maybe these new balls do go a bit longer, but not sure as you do get lucky once in a while. (the bunkers past the waste area are a 250 yard carry.) I had about 275 left from a somewhat sketchy lie, so hit hybrid, and then a wedge to the green. Made par, but thought that with a bit more accuracy, I might have made it in 2 even though I'm not the longest hitter. :D
Hole7.jpg

18th hole, and again, pleasantly surprised to find a tee shot that went a bit farther than I normally hit. I'd like to say it's the new ball, so maybe there is an advantage to the new design. Our regular tee box 490 on this hole, but we were moved up to 445. Uphill par 5, and the tee shot works best hitting a ball way out right, and having i come slightly back left, catching the fairway that slopes right to left. My tee shot started at the right edge of the fairway, and worked back just a bit left...the shot I want all the time with a driver. Was very pleased with the result. I had 190 uphill from the right center of the fairway. I am aiming at the flag, hoping to hit it just left, so as to get it on the green between the bunkers. (flag is the green area, red is where I want it to land.)
18A.jpg

I actually hit the ball on my line, but it flew the green...into the Valley Of Sin. Dead from there, but the ball was dead on. I think the new version is a few yards longer than the older version, and for me, seems a bit straighter. Tried to hit it to the green area, but it went about 20 extra yards into the red area.
18B.jpg

I pitched it back onto the green, and 2 putted for par, but me being within distance to make a par 5 in two is amazing. Must say, when struck well, the new ball seems to me like it is a few yards longer, and flies a bit straighter. I know it's only a few rounds so far, but not disappointed at all in these new balls. They seem to be everything that Bridgestone claims they wanted to do in a ball.

I did whack a cart path with a nasty drive, and it did finally scuff the ball a bit. I played this same ball all day though, and it didn't seem to hurt it much. Very impressive so far.
Scuff1.jpg
Nice job! Very good write-up!

dogman: I am glad to see that you may be getting some more distance out of the new RX. Hard to fathom that they got more greenside spin and more distance without increasing the side spin. Does it get much better than that?

Dogman I love the dots man. Awesome review

Nice job! Very good write-up!

Thanks guys, it's been pretty fun so far. I think I will try and play just the RXS today and see if I can really tell much difference there.
And Cookie, I'm thinking that the aerodynamic improvement from the dimples is what makes it fly a bit straighter, while still giving enough lift to not just drop out of the sky. Not sure what all is changed from the previous model, but it does seem to feel a bit different off the driver. Irons I can';t really tell a difference in feel. That's probably due more to turf interaction than anything.

Thanks for all the good stuff here guys...didn't want to quote everything as this thread is going to be long enough as is.:D
Like reading the stats comparison and how you seem to feel a difference in balls off the putter also. Very good stuff.

I received my beautifully packaged B-330 and B-330S balls yesterday.
Like everyone else, I am really impressed with the packaging.
Mine was a bit damaged in shipping as it looks like some postal worker dropped it and then stepped on the bottom corner of it before it was put in the mailbox.

I will be doing some putting and chipping today and tomorrow with them and then it's off to the sim on Tuesday.

I put these to the test on the course in a fair amount of wind and light rain this morning. They seem to fly nicely and cut through the wind pretty well. Something worth paying attention to. Any one else seeing the same results into the wind?

I put these to the test on the course in a fair amount of wind and light rain this morning. They seem to fly nicely and cut through the wind pretty well. Something worth paying attention to. Any one else seeing the same results into the wind?
I was thinking I had similar results. We had a hole yesterday where the wind was left to right, but I wanted to make sure I hit the left edge of the fairway as that's the best opening to the flag. Hit a little bit of a draw, thinking it would get knocked down a bit turning against the wind, but still managed a respectable 260 yards off the tee. And the ball only went about 5 yards to the left. Surprised me it was that straight with a crosswind.

Got mine in yesterday!

I was selected to test the B330-RX and RXS.

As everyone has said, and shown, the packaging on these were stunning. Very impressed. First impressions of the the dual dimples were...interesting. I didn't find it super noticeable off the bat or at address, but inspecting the ball its pretty noticeable. A few taps of the putter in the house showed they came off the face quite easily with a nice little *clink" sound. I was putting on carpet so couldn't compare roll out well. I'll be taking these out to the range this evening or tomorrow, and onto the course this week. Very excited to try the RX and RXS against the e6 that I've been using.

I got my B300-RX and RXS yesterday.

Played 18 today. Wasn't able to get on the practice green. May try tomorrow if my shoulder is feeling up to it.

My main review will be off the tee and around the greens today. My iron play was terrible so I can't even judge that.

I really like the look of both balls. They also feel good in hand. I hit them great off the tee. I left one or two shots right and left but that was my fault. It was blustery today and these held in the wind very good. It was pretty cold out today(low 40's) so I bet I will get a good amount of distance when It warms up a little more. I did not see any real difference of lenght off the tee with the RX and RXS when using my RBZ 3W.

Around and on the greens both balls shined. Our greens are very hard(new greens this year), hard to get spin, and pretty fast. I was able play with a lot of feel and control around the greens. The RXS did seem to have bit more check then the RX. I really liked putting with both balls. I come off the putter so true. I had great speed control with both balls.

As for durability, I played with 1 each of the RXS and RX for the entire round. I would alternate everyone 2 holes. The only sign of wear so from some road rash on the RX. The ball still works fine even with that.

I can't wait to put more time into this testing. I'll be out of town next weekend so I hope to hit the practice greens this week.

Thanks guys. I was worried as i putting all the data in the computer, i was going to over load the thread. But i'm glad that everyone is liking the data, I do plan on having more on Monday or Tuesday. And I hope some short game practice area or some Nine hole action to report.

I did get a chance the roll the balls around the living room last night. Probably wasnt the best test as i was playing with my new SeeMore last night and wasnt really paying attention to how the balls felt as I have no baseline feel with that putter. I'm going to use my standard putter that i know the feel of tonight to test out the balls and get some feed back posted up tonight/tomorrow about the feel off the putter.

Back