The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Tiger effect?

Tiger effect?

Just curious what you all think. Let's say Tiger gets all the way back with his game. He starts winning and is a threat every weekend again. Will the new/young guys who have ever experienced the "Tiger effect" fall by the wayside under his pressure on Sunday like players used to? Lots of ifs, but play along.

No chance. That is the one part of Tiger's game that will never come back. Example: Robert Rock.

No chance. That is the one part of Tiger's game that will never come back. Example: Robert Rock.

Tiger wins 3 in a row and the new guys will crumble faster than the old ones will. They don't know how to deal with the tiger effect. The old guys had to deal with it to survive.

He's gotta win one in a row first though. Let's see if he can get that done first, before we worry about two or three in a row. He's there and it's his for the taking today . The old Tiger would seal the deal. The new Eldrick hasn't done it yet.

He's gotta win one in a row first though. Let's see if he can get that done first, before we worry about two or three in a row. He's there and it's his for the taking today . The old Tiger would seal the deal. The new Eldrick hasn't done it yet.

That is correct.

So, if you use Robert Rock as an example, you feel he's already back to being a threat in each tournament? I was thinking WHEN he gets there. Using recent history implies a feeling he is back...

Just curious what you all think. Let's say Tiger gets all the way back with his game. He starts winning and is a threat every weekend again. Will the new/young guys who have ever experienced the "Tiger effect" fall by the wayside under his pressure on Sunday like players used to? Lots of ifs, but play along.

I don't doubt TW will win again and win multiple times. But the level of golf that is being played and had been displayed over the past two years is way better then when he was a threat. The guys that are winning now are better golfers then when TW was killing the field. He raised the bar and a few caught him and have raised the bar again.
Now if he starts beating these guys on the regular then yes but that is about two years away and a strong showing by Tiger. Now tiger has to play some golf on Sunday to win his presence to the Rorys, Gmac, westy and RR is not a knee knocking round anymore. They know if they play well he has to play well!

Tiger will be back and winning again and a new generation will learn how to wilt under pressure but the 'Tiger Effect' will never again be as intense as it was before. It might cause some wilting on a Sunday but it won't ruin careers like it did at one time. If Phil plays like he did last weekend all year he will win a lot of tournaments this year and Tiger had better get going or he will be left behind. One thing Tiger needs to do is go back to his old putting grip. His left hand is turned too far underneath the club and it is causing him to push putts way out to the right. He needs to go back to the neutral left hand grip he had before with the slight hook spin he used to put on the ball to make it dive into the hole instead of rolling over the edge.

Anyone read the little preview from Haney's book???? Tiger is nuts ! lol.

Here we go...
TIGER'S KNEE AFFECTED HIS SWING

"Protecting Tiger's knee during the swing and still getting performance wasn't a simple thing," Haney writes.... "To preserve his knee, Tiger wanted some flex in his left leg at impact," but that opened him up to turning his hands over and hooking the ball. "It was the shot he most dreaded, because with a clubhead speed of more than 125 miles per hour, a hook for Tiger could easily turn out to be a big miss."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#ixzz1nhM1iHU6

TIGER FEARED THE DRIVER

"One of the adjectives most often used to describe Tiger Woods was fearless. But the more I observed him close up, the more it became clear he wasn't," Haney writes. "Sometimes, to make it less of a big deal, he'd remind me that he had never considered himself a particularly good driver, at least in comparison with the rest of his game. 'That's why my name is Woods,' he'd joke. 'Maybe it would have been different if I'd been named Fairway.'"

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#ixzz1nhM8FRPh

CATCHING JACK ADDED PRESSURE

By 2007, Haney said, the job of coaching Woods got harder. "There was more urgency and less fun...He never mentioned Nicklaus' record, but it started to weigh more heavily at every major. And Tiger's actions indicated he believed he had less time to do it than everyone thought."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#ixzz1nhMDieD0

TIGER'S EXTREME WORKOUTS RISKED HIS KNEE

During four days of special-ops training in Fort Bragg, N.C., "Tiger did two tandem parachute jumps, engaged in hand-to-hand combat exercises, went on four-mile runs wearing combat boots, and did drills in a wind tunnel. Tiger loved it, but his physical therapist, Keith Kleven, went a little crazy worrying about the further damage Tiger might be doing to his left knee...One morning I was in the kitchen when he came back from a long run around Isleworth, and I noticed he was wearing Army boots. Tiger admitted that he'd worn the heavy shoes before on the same route. 'I beat my best time,' he said."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#ixzz1nhMHk3rk

HIS FASCINATION WITH THE MILITARY BECAME OBSESSION

"Tiger was seriously considering becoming a Navy SEAL. I didn't know how he'd go about it, but when he talked about it, it was clear he had a plan....I thought, Wow, here is Tiger Woods, greatest athlete on the planet, maybe the greatest athlete ever, right in the middle of his prime, basically ready to leave it all behind for a military life."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#ixzz1nhMLcWdM

The military excerpt is really interesting.

Tiger is crazy. That right there is someone who was bored with golf because he won so much. Like Jordan leaving basketball in his prime for baseball.

Last edited:
Tiger is crazy. That right there is someone who was bored with golf because the won so much. Like Jordan leaving basketball in his prime for baseball.

Exactly my thought KMac. He just was like eh, another major. HAHA.

It actually makes me think even more, he doesnt really care now.

Tiger the Navy SEAL. If I was a Navy SEAL I dont think Id care for that much.

I've said it before. Tiger doesn't love golf. It wouldn't shock me at all if he quits the sport if he gets the record. Interesting excerpts though. I don't know - I just don't think it's right that Hank is publishing this stuff.

Golf is Tigers job. How many people love their jobs through and through?

Id get sick of golf too. We all would. Weve all found something that we love to do, then over do it, then quit.

Golf is Tigers job. How many people love their jobs through and through?Id get sick of golf too. We all would. Weve all found something that we love to do, then over do it, then quit.
I agree, but there are some pro's who'd play for free. Fred Couples for instance - I think he still really loves golf. Maybe because his back has prevented him from playing non-stop.

I look forward to seeing the military's new red-and-black camo when this becomes a reality.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I still think Haney's an idiot and have a feeling this will just be a gossip book.

I still think Haney's an idiot and have a feeling this will just be a gossip book.

I'm still going to read it haha

Back