Griffey Jr & Sharpe Take the Speed Challenge

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP was at the Nike Event at the PGA Show and thanks to Tadashi, got some video of these athletes taking the speed challenge. Lots of pictures can be found on the forum, but here is some quick video of it.

Very cool video, those guys were absolutely murdering that driver.

Cant wait to relive this again soon!

Man, those guys have some freaking swing speeds that are up there.

Did they show them hitting their old driver first for comparison before hitting the VR_S to show the comparison to all those in attendance?

• Admin
Yes, they hit their old first.

Man, those guys have some freaking swing speeds that are up there.

Did they show them hitting their old driver first for comparison before hitting the VR_S to show the comparison to all those in attendance?

Yup, as JB says above. It was crazy watching Griffey pound that driver. I was in awe. So effortless.

I'm not amazed by too much but these two athletes with their fancy swings and clubs had me shaking my head! The sound was nice and crisp, I'm not sure what others are hearing but those ball speeds, distances and sound add up to dynamite!! Pow!!

Yup, as JB says above. It was crazy watching Griffey pound that driver. I was in awe. So effortless.
I noticed that in his swing, it just looked like he was doing it without any effort.

Can't watch the video right now... I'll see for myself this afternoon!

Griffey has/had one of the sweetest swings in baseball. Just effortless grace. Very cool to see him transition that to a golf swing. I bet this was cool to watch.

I noticed that in his swing, it just looked like he was doing it without any effort.

Watching him throw 340+ was just sick. Suzann called him out and he put her in her place. She talks a lot of smack.

Watching him throw 340+ was just sick. Suzann called him out and he put her in her place. She talks a lot of smack.
Did he say how far he usually averages on his drives?

she's allowed to....she's SP :beauty:

Did he say how far he usually averages on his drives?

Not that I recall my friend. I thought it was funny how humble he was with his swing. He seemed genuinely excited about the VR_S. I know he gained yards with the VR_S but honestly, the numbers the launch monitor showed were insane.

Wow those are two powerful swings. For those saying this club is loud if its not that loud when these guys hit it I cant imagine its any louder when one of us mortals hit it.

Wow those are two powerful swings. For those saying this club is loud if its not that loud when these guys hit it I cant imagine its any louder when one of us mortals hit it.

I need to watch this again because after watching Griffey, Sharpe seemed like an average hitter! lol. No offense to Sharpe :)

you sir are dead to me. lol

Man Griffey's swing is just as pretty as it was in baseball. Aside from me not being a lefty, why can't I translate my old baseball swing that well?

Hahaha... My thoughts have changed on the matter.

you sir are dead to me. lol

Man Griffey's swing is just as pretty as it was in baseball. Aside from me not being a lefty, why can't I translate my old baseball swing that well?

Maybe it was seeing her up close and just talking smack to a legend lol. I think you can, but not sure there isnt a thing Griffey does that doesnt look effortless.

179 ball speed...that's just ridiculous

I watched the Haney Project with Bill Cowher (who has the most annoying laugh ever) last night and was surprised that Haney was telling him to swing harder and harder rather than slowing down, etc. This is exactly what I've been doing where I focus on technique more than just going to get the ball so I think I may just try to to a fast but controlled swing to see what happens a la Griffey. I make golf way harder than it should be for myself half the time

Maybe it was seeing her up close and just talking smack to a legend lol. I think you can, but not sure there isnt a thing Griffey does that doesnt look effortless.

I personally think that is over-hyped. I don't think it's any louder than any other driver out there. Certainly not louder than the TM line.

This was good stuff, thanks for bringing it. Griffey can just do no wrong, I doubt there's any sport the guy can't contend in.

I watched the Haney Project with Bill Cowher (who has the most annoying laugh ever) last night and was surprised that Haney was telling him to swing harder and harder rather than slowing down, etc. This is exactly what I've been doing where I focus on technique more than just going to get the ball so I think I may just try to to a fast but controlled swing to see what happens a la Griffey. I make golf way harder than it should be for myself half the time

He also told Broadway Joe the same thing. That got my attention because I know that I've slowed down quite a bit over the years by focusing on other aspects of the swing. My goal this year is to just spend some time on the range pounding balls and swinging as hard as I can without just losing total control. Hopefully that will allow me to get some power back in my swing, because that was an area in which I really suffered last year.

Also, those numbers Grif was putting up are just insane. Why couldn't I have been born talented?! Ha!

Back