Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Lin! I'm on the bandwagon. Amare had 21 tonight. Oh and Lin also had 11 assists.

Does this thread just talk about Lebron James? I prefer Vince-anity to Lin-sanity.

Who's Vince-anity? That old guy that used to could jump out of the gym?

You guys are seriously comparing Lebron James to Jeremy Lin? What is going on here lol. It's a nice story, but I'm afraid his stats will take a big hit once ISO 'Melo comes back.

You guys are seriously comparing Lebron James to Jeremy Lin? What is going on here lol. It's a nice story, but I'm afraid his stats will take a big hit once ISO 'Melo comes back.

It kinda sucks but yeah probably. Because, you know, Melo only runs plays that involve less than 2 players. Haha. I kind of hope he shuts down Melo and takes over the team. They'd win more.

Damaikis, is it too early to start Lebron for MVP talk? I'm gonna say his first half numbers are MVP worthy... 28.2ppg, 8.2rpg & 6.8apg w/ 55% FG%. Just ahead or very close to 08-09 & 09-10 seasons.

Damaikis, is it too early to start Lebron for MVP talk? I'm gonna say his first half numbers are MVP worthy... 28.2ppg, 8.2rpg & 6.8apg w/ 55% FG%. Just ahead or very close to 08-09 & 09-10 seasons.

Bahahahaha. For us? It is never to early for Lebron MVP talk. For everyone else who seems to hate him for some reason, he's not even in the conversation lol. They'd take Lin and his 6 TOs per 48 mins or Derek Rose's 46% FG % first. But yeah, Lebron should be the MVP. He's playing amazing ball this year. I think he should've won it last year too. I hope he keeps it up.

If he doesn't win MVP, there's a serious issue. There isn't anyone else anywhere close to the numbers he's putting up. Whether you hate him or love him, you can't make a case against that.

You guys are basing it way too much on stats, MVP stands for Most Valuable Player, the award should go to a player who puts up good numbers and is the most valuable to his respected team. LeBron is quite valuable to his team, but I'm pretty sure they'd be fine without him? Whereas a guy like Derrick Rose (who doesn't put up the same numbers as LeBron but they are still very good) and the Chicago Bulls would not even be close to as successful as they are now without him. This is also why I think Derrick Rose beat out LeBron last year, and why he could have a chance of beating him again this year.

You guys are basing it way too much on stats, MVP stands for Most Valuable Player, the award should go to a player who puts up good numbers and is the most valuable to his respected team. LeBron is quite valuable to his team, but I'm pretty sure they'd be fine without him? Whereas a guy like Derrick Rose (who doesn't put up the same numbers as LeBron but they are still very good) and the Chicago Bulls would not even be close to as successful as they are now without him. This is also why I think Derrick Rose beat out LeBron last year, and why he could have a chance of beating him again this year.

In that case it should be Dirk a lot of years. Or CP3 when he was on the Hornets. Or D-Will in NJ. All those teams would suck without those players. The Bulls would still be average. Boozer, Noah, and Deng are all quite good. The Nets might not ever win without D-Will. So even though the definition of MVP is as you described, it has a lot to do with stats or those guys that I named should win it. MVP does not always go to the "Most Valuable Player" to their team, and while I don't necessarily agree with that, it is true.

On a side (and sarcastic) note, Scalabrine for bench player of the year?

Haha, alright. I'm not too interested in diving in to this argument tonight that could go on forever, but ill let you take your side and I'll take mine. I'll just say he's shattering every number he put up in his 2 MVP years and if he keeps up this pace he'll break MJ for the record in PER. IMO they should wait and give out the MVP after the playoffs. LeBron wouldn't have won it because of his massive choke, but neither would Rose. After LeBron shut him down in that series, he would've had the edge. Dirk probably and should have won it. Anyways, I need to be studying but I'm always up for some fun debate.

In that case it should be Dirk a lot of years. Or CP3 when he was on the Hornets. Or D-Will in NJ. All those teams would suck without those players. The Bulls would still be average. Boozer, Noah, and Deng are all quite good. The Nets might not ever win without D-Will. So even though the definition of MVP is as you described, it has a lot to do with stats or those guys that I named should win it. MVP does not always go to the "Most Valuable Player" to their team, and while I don't necessarily agree with that, it is true.

What you're saying is true, Dirk, Chris and Deron should all have an MVP or be close to getting one. The Bulls would be garbage against a team with a decent offensively gifted PG though with no D-Rose, as showcased in the loss to Rondo and the Celtics. Plus, production as a team and individually offensively for the Bulls would go down.

What you're saying is true, Dirk, Chris and Deron should all have an MVP or be close to getting one. The Bulls would be garbage against a team with a decent offensively gifted PG though with no D-Rose, as showcased in the loss to Rondo and the Celtics. Plus, production as a team and individually offensively for the Bulls would go down.

Yeah, but regardless, MVP isn't always the "Most Valuable Player" unfortunately. Oh well. Who knows who will win it this year. Though I like bahester's idea of waiting until after the playoffs to give it out.

Yeah, but regardless, MVP isn't always the "Most Valuable Player" unfortunately. Oh well. Who knows who will win it this year. Though I like bahester's idea of waiting until after the playoffs to give it out.

I'm not saying it does, I'm saying it should, and yes, that would make much more sense.

LeBron won't win MVP if the Heat don't at least finish 1st or 2nd in the East. I'm sure they will, so he's up there for sure. You can't rule out Durant now. If OKC finishes with the best record in the NBA you can bet that Durant is likely to get the award.

Dirk has both MVP awards. And CP3 placed second in 2007 and 5th in 2008. So he wasn't all that far away from winning one.

Empty stats are meaningless what matters is does the team win with the guy on the floor. If the team is a failure overall then an argument could be made that the stats piled up by a 'star' player actually could have hurt the team effort more than it helped them win. A team sport requires a team effort and that was never more obvious than last year in the NBA finals.

If the MVP award was given out the way BigCountryStein says Tim Duncan and KG would have a lot more.

Also the Spurs are the hottest team in the league, and with the return of Ginobili are looking even better.

If the MVP award was given out the way BigCountryStein says Tim Duncan and KG would have a lot more.

Also the Spurs are the hottest team in the league, and with the return of Ginobili are looking even better.

I just don't see how many people fear them in the playoffs.

I just don't see how many people fear them in the playoffs.

Because they have one of the top point guards in the league, and one of the top SGs coming back into form? Plus they have much more depth than the other west contenders.

The only contenders coming out of the west this season are OKC, Spurs, Lakers and Mavs. And the Lakers and Mavs seasons are completely dependent on Dirk and Kobe.

Because they have one of the top point guards in the league, and one of the top SGs coming back into form? Plus they have much more depth than the other west contenders.

The only contenders coming out of the west this season are OKC, Spurs, Lakers and Mavs. And the Lakers and Mavs seasons are completely dependent on Dirk and Kobe.

Just like your Spurs the Mavs are coming into form as well. And I wouldn't quite say the Lakers totally depend on Kobe. Bynum and Gasol both have shown they can get it done, and they play pretty good defense when they want to. I just don't see the Spurs beating the Lakers or OKC in a series. And if the Nuggets get everyone healthy again they're going to be a force with their depth. And, don't sleep on Portland.

Spurs didn't look too hot tonight.. Raptors came close to winning with only half of their offense. Something needs to change on the defensive side of things..

yea id be pretty afraid of facing the spurs in the playoffs, especially if they have home court advantage in the series. Been pretty darn good this year with manu being out and Duncan playing some seriously limited minutes, which would not be happening in the playoffs. Great depth and a bunch of guys on the squad (pop included) that know how to get it done in the postseason.

I really only like OKC, SA, DAL in the west (in that order)...and if LAC still had chauncey i would have thrown them in there too. As to the lakers, theyve had slow starts before and then turned it on for the playoffs but this year just seems different. It wouldnt shock me if they end up with a 7 or 8 seed and they play too poorly on the road to contend from down there.

Lin is already prepping for Melo's return. He only took 6 shots tonight. Good planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back