I fit the i20 7iron with the same length CFS shaft as the Ci11's. They have a fitting cart. The only difference was the 1* of loft and the lie angles.

Dude I'm pretty sure Ping will adjust for free broski. If you just want to send them to me, i could always run to the Ping factory and drop them off.

I'm holding off strong dude. I don't want to hold off but i am. I'd still likely choose these. I like the stock shaft a lot. A LOT.
Ditto, after reading more about them and talking to TC, they are what finally sold me on them.

I'm positive Jake. Look the 20's are nice. And remember, the 20's I'm hitting are standard lie and my 11's are fit to me. But still, same clubhead speed avg and ball speed avg yet 9 more yards of carry with the Ci11's.
Thats significant yardage there, TC. Even with comparable lofts, there would still be a distance gain from the 11s. When I was comparing different irons to the 11s, I saw significant distance gains from them as well. Glad you got to hit the two side by side.

That makes a difference! Definitely the best way to make a comparison. Should have known that you would have done everything possible to make the test an apples to apples comparison.
I fit the i20 7iron with the same length CFS shaft as the Ci11's. They have a fitting cart. The only difference was the 1* of loft and the lie angles.

Edit: it was a +1" over standard CFS so it was 1/4" shorter but that's the best I could do.

:beat-up:
IMG-20120306-00130.jpg

What machine was that Yoccos?

Some of those numbers are wonky. The carry distance is a touch high, only by a 1.3 yards on average. I probably didn't get Arizona's ratio to sea level right when I punched in the numbers. That roll out though is just flat lying unless you're hitting into concrete. 14.97 yards of roll on average even with the 4700 spin rate? Pffffbt.
Your peak height with those shafts is getting too high. Should be looking for a apex height of around 30-32 yards. Which by the way makes that roll out even more absurd unless the decent angle is like 30 degrees. A ball hit that high is going to drop like a love struck angel.

Is everyone else just as pumped as I am about the i20's performance? It's not just Tmex that is seeing some wicked distance out of a traditionally lofted iron set. PING's done something very, very right here folks.

I'm kind of suprised at how much I like the i20's performance. I thought the PC's turned me into a total iron snob but it appears that's not so. Also with the baby on the way I'm figuring on much less practice/playing time so something more forgiving is the order of the day.

Just about to pull the trigger and order me some i20 goodness. Has anyone changed out the grips for the Golfpride New Decade Multicompound grip? Is there any reason not to go with the ping grip?

I despise those Ping grips in irons. VDR replacements all the way for me.

Dude I'm pretty sure Ping will adjust for free broski. If you just want to send them to me, i could always run to the Ping factory and drop them off.

$30 for adjustments which is still pretty good.

TC,

If you get back to the store, could you do the same thing with an R11 iron? I would love to see the comparison of numbers between the two.

That makes a difference! Definitely the best way to make a comparison. Should have known that you would have done everything possible to make the test an apples to apples comparison.

I tried my hardest man. I even brought my own golf ball to use so that would be a constant.

I think you should be very excited about pursuing the Ci11's my friend. I just wish you could find a way to demo them for yourself.

All of this just makes me giddier and giddier. I cannot lie.

Haha dude, the employee and I just laughed at the rollout. I know the carry seems off but its exactly where I'm at PGA Superstore as well (both regular and Ping inflight sims). I'm expecting real course numbers to have about 5 yards less carry on it. The Ping Inflight sim has me at a higher ss though.

I'm positive Jake. Look the 20's are nice. And remember, the 20's I'm hitting are standard lie and my 11's are fit to me. But still, same clubhead speed avg and ball speed avg yet 9 more yards of carry with the Ci11's.

Wouldn't that make it a shaft thing? CFS not for you? I got much better numbers w/ the S flex CFS shaft after trying it hard stepped. Soooo... Maybe this?

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

TC,

If you get back to the store, could you do the same thing with an R11 iron? I would love to see the comparison of numbers between the two.

Next time I'm in there to do something like this I will try to remember, you may need to remind me though buddy.

Tuna, I think you made a good point about the performance of the i20's. I couldn't believe I was seeing tighter dispersion, knowing that the black dot doesn't fit me at all. We did hit the i20 off the lie board to confirm that I would indeed need a white dot lie angle.

Wouldn't that make it a shaft thing? CFS not for you? I got much better numbers w/ the S flex CFS shaft after trying it hard stepped. Soooo... Maybe this?

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Perhaps, but for sake of comparison I wanted to do stock stiff vs. stock stiff. I believe the CFS worked quite well for me. I'm kind of a natural high spin player in the first place. I was seeing an avg of low 6k rpm's in spin. I usually see around an avg of low-mid 5k spin out of the 6iron. I know I could probably benefit from going into an x flex but I just hate being in that weight range to be completely honest.

Believe me, I am. There's some hope. I'm going to be in Denver 3/16-3/19, and I've discovered there's a PGA Superstore in Denver. Maybe I'll be able to demo the Ci11s there.
I tried my hardest man. I even brought my own golf ball to use so that would be a constant.

I think you should be very excited about pursuing the Ci11's my friend. I just wish you could find a way to demo them for yourself.

Believe me, I am. There's some hope. I'm going to be in Denver 3/16-3/19, and I've discovered there's a PGA Superstore in Denver. Maybe I'll be able to demo the Ci11s there.

I will have my fingers crossed for you brother. I know you've got the itch.

Haha dude, the employee and I just laughed at the rollout. I know the carry seems off but its exactly where I'm at PGA Superstore as well (both regular and Ping inflight sims). I'm expecting real course numbers to have about 5 yards less carry on it. The Ping Inflight sim has me at a higher ss though.

When I plunk your numbers plus Phoenix relative to sea level in I get 169 for the carry so I'd say that's pretty close. Laughing on the roll for total distance is appropriate though. That's just to sell the club. What ball you play with monkey about with those as well. If you were doing those shots with a 2 piece rock and then go to a B330 or something of the like the spins going to go up.

Tuna, I think you made a good point about the performance of the i20's. I couldn't believe I was seeing tighter dispersion, knowing that the black dot doesn't fit me at all. We did hit the i20 off the lie board to confirm that I would indeed need a white dot lie angle.

White dot eh? That's quite up but then Ping's black dot on these play flatish to start with vs say Nike or TM.

While testing them out, and I'm going to do that again tonight while I wait for mine, I've found two things.
A: I have a much harder time working the ball with these. They want to go straight and it takes much more effort to get them to draw/fade if you want them too. It can be done but it takes more effort
B: Because of that, I'm likening them to cheating golf. Pick a target in a straight line and just put a nice, simple swing on it and it's hard to screw it up. It's like playing a SGI iron while not using one.

I should probably shut it though so as to not steal things to talk about from the testers.
Mine are going to be wonky when they come though. Had to do a fish tone of grinds.

When I plunk your numbers plus Phoenix relative to sea level in I get 169 for the carry so I'd say that's pretty close. Laughing on the roll for total distance is appropriate though. That's just to sell the club. What ball you play with monkey about with those as well. If you were doing those shots with a 2 piece rock and then go to a B330 or something of the like the spins going to go up.

White dot eh? That's quite up but then Ping's black dot on these play flatish to start with vs say Nike or TM.

While testing them out, and I'm going to do that again tonight while I wait for mine, I've found two things.
A: I have a much harder time working the ball with these. They want to go straight and it takes much more effort to get them to draw/fade if you want them too. It can be done but it takes more effort
B: Because of that, I'm likening them to cheating golf. Pick a target in a straight line and just put a nice, simple swing on it and it's hard to screw it up. It's like playing a SGI iron while not using one.

I should probably shut it though so as to not steal things to talk about from the testers.
Mine are going to be wonky when they come though. Had to do a fish tone of grinds.

You sure are going to have a lot to compare to though lol. Appreciate your input man.

I have a much harder time working the ball with these. They want to go straight and it takes much more effort to get them to draw/fade if you want them too. It can be done but it takes more effort

Wow, I did not see that at all. I can move these left, right, up or down with relative ease just as most irons in this class. They seem to fit the mold rather similarly to others like them in that regard for me. Im really surprised by your thoughts here actually.

Wow, I did not see that at all. I can move these left, right, up or down with relative ease just as most irons in this class. They seem to fit the mold rather similarly to others like them in that regard for me. Im really surprised by your thoughts here actually.

I found them hard to manipulate left and right. Up and down was easy though. I found the S56's much easier when I wanted to move the ball flight (which is just about never but still).
Perhaps I don't do it correctly but I do a lot of my ball movement through exaggerating my release to be fast or slow and I couldn't get the timing right with the head weight to make it happen with these. I've asked Ping to up the swing weight to see if that changes things for me.

I like reading everyone's opinions and whatever you guys say won't really effect my positive or negative take during the test. Fire away. I think the testers are holding back their opinions as it's not time for us to rock n roll.

Only mentioning this as I don't want people to not participate if they have an opinion or question.

Yeah, I'm not trying to step on tester's toes at all guys. I figure you guys will bring it anyway. Lots of excitement about these, which is really good for PING.

I found them hard to manipulate left and right. Up and down was easy though. I found the S56's much easier when I wanted to move the ball flight (which is just about never but still).
Perhaps I don't do it correctly but I do a lot of my ball movement through exaggerating my release to be fast or slow and I couldn't get the timing right with the head weight to make it happen with these. I've asked Ping to up the swing weight to see if that changes things for me.

I cant answer the part of why, because I have not seen you play, however I can tell you that moving the ball either way was really no issue with these for me. In fact I found it to be one of the easier things to do with the set even with just a setup change (moving feet).

Yeah, I'm not trying to step on tester's toes at all guys. I figure you guys will bring it anyway. Lots of excitement about these, which is really good for PING.

Heck yeah TC.

I cant answer the part of why, because I have not seen you play, however I can tell you that moving the ball either way was really no issue with these for me. In fact I found it to be one of the easier things to do with the set even with just a setup change (moving feet).

That's probably it right there. I don't actually change my setup to move the ball which likely makes it much harder and means I need a narrow set of circustances to do it at will. It's something I'll have to work on with these when they arrive.
Maybe the Nike's were just too easy to manipulate.

I couldn't wait until the all manufacturer demo day this weekend, so I spent a hour or so at lunch yesterday at the Ping demo day. My main objective was validating my KBS selection vs the CFS and this demo day was on grass, so I had to take advantage. Unfortunately there was a pretty good wind and the Trackman was giving some really weird numbers - like 3,000 spin with a 7i which I know is not true - no idea if the wind affects that, but I unfortunately couldn't use the numbers. Make a long story short I probably hit 30-40 balls with each shaft in the 7i and another 50-60 with the driver/hybrids/FWs. My conclusion? I hit the CFS better as I was warming up and at the end when I was a little tired after a 100+ balls, but the KBS were absolutely pure there in the middle. Great - that was a lotta help.

Ordered mine today after hitting a lot of irons and going through an extensive fitting.

Congrats on the new sticks Sean.

Back