Why do you bag what you bag?

So if you hit down on the ball correctly it doesn't matter what kind of sole or iron you have behind it?

Not exactly, swing speed has some say in ball flight and work ability. Mark O'meara is a sweeper of the ball and plays well. Sergio dig ditches and plays well. Two differ swings with players irons. The similarities is their swing speed. They maximize their SS and angles to make their clubs do what they do.
The average player does not maximize SS or delivery of that SS into the ball with any type of consistency. Therefore a more forgiving club is warranted for the average golfer.

Chunky, I do have a question for you to make this interesting.

You shot a couple of your best scores ever with your Nikes in the bag and I can't really recall hearing you talk about a truly bad day. Maybe you had some poor days for you, but it's not like you were going from 75 to 105 from round to round.

The point of that statement isn't to say that the Nikes were the best iron for you, but more along the lines of - do you think it really makes a huge amount of difference either way? Did you notice any huge changes to the way you scored with different sets of irons?

Great minds think alike broski as I was going to come in and say something along these lines. I want to compare the Di11's to the Nikes. You are right in that my scores were not wildly different. But there was a difference on the off days with regards to how I scored.

Bad day ball striking with the Di11's left me with longer putts that I was 3 putting at the time as I was a terrible putter. Bad day with the Nikes was leaving me with chip shots from off the green. I have to give this more of a think to see if my scores would have been different.

Sometimes just missing the green and putting a wedge in your hand is better for your score than being 90' away for birdie. Golf is such a personal thing for all of us. Personally, I love my iron play. It's by far my biggest strength. I like where I am right now with the irons that I currently have in the bag. I don't see myself going to something any bigger or more forgiving any time soon.

Sometimes just missing the green and putting a wedge in your hand is better for your score than being 90' away for birdie.

Sometimes I secretly pull for my daughter's shots to stay off the green instead of landing 50+ feet away. She can chip 'em up there like her old man, but give her a really long putt and it's almost a sure bogey.

Kevin

I'd be curious to hear what your index was as well, Chunky. In the end, my point is not that the Nikes (or any players iron) are the better iron, btw. It's more a matter of my experience that there wasn't a huge disparity in my scores either way. I think playing something you like and having confidence is as important as many things, but I'm a big believer in the intangible elements of the game.

If the XF's make you feel good and you think they are the irons that you'll play your best with, go with that buddy.

Sometimes I secretly pull for my daughter's shots to stay off the green instead of landing 50+ feet away. She can chip 'em up there like her old man, but give her a really long putt and it's almost a sure bogey.

Kevin

Golf's all a game of misses. I've heard pro's talk about putting shots in bunker so they can get up and down easier.

Great minds think alike broski as I was going to come in and say something along these lines. I want to compare the Di11's to the Nikes. You are right in that my scores were not wildly different. But there was a difference on the off days with regards to how I scored.

Bad day ball striking with the Di11's left me with longer putts that I was 3 putting at the time as I was a terrible putter. Bad day with the Nikes was leaving me with chip shots from off the green. I have to give this more of a think to see if my scores would have been different.

I love the fact that you started this thread! Consistency is what we look for in our golf game. If your swing is inconsistent then a more forgiving club is needed (there are exception) but the norm is a more forgiving club. I was very excited when you posted the irons you wanted for the MC. IMO I think they'll be a better more consistent fit.

I'd be curious to hear what your index was as well, Chunky. In the end, my point is not that the Nikes (or any players iron) are the better iron, btw. It's more a matter of my experience that there wasn't a huge disparity in my scores either way. I think playing something you like and having confidence is as important as many things, but I'm a big believer in the intangible elements of the game.

If the XF's make you feel good and you think they are the irons that you'll play your best with, go with that buddy.

Do you think there was not a great difference because of your swing speed and action through the ball. The vids I have seen have shown me that you are not aggressive through the ball. Would say the more controlled swings allows for less disparity from club to club

I have a question for this.

Can a sweeping swing give more forgiveness for fat or thin shots compared to hitting down on the ball correctly? I know with pros that hit down on the ball for control they have little room for error.

A pro swing has more room for error in my opinion that is why when they make a mistake the results are not nearly s horrible as when a 20 handicapper makes a bad swing. If you hit the ball first whether your angle is steep or shallow and you will have better results than you will see by hitting the ground first (fat) or hitting the top of the ball (thin).

Do you think there wasn't not a great difference because of your swing speed and action through the ball. The vids I have seen have shown me that you are not aggressive through the ball. Would say the more controlled swings allows for less disparity from club to club

I really have no clue. I saw a difference in how far the ball went from iron to iron, but my scores were no different in the end. My big issues have always been big misses (tops, big chunks, duffs) rather than missing on the toe an inch and being 5-10 yards short vs 10-15 yards short.

I'd agree with you completely that I was/am a lazy swinger, which is something I've worked with my instructor on at his suggestion, but I have no idea if that's a factor in how I feel about iron choices.

I really have no clue. I saw a difference in how far the ball went from iron to iron, but my scores were no different in the end. My big issues have always been big misses (tops, big chunks, duffs) rather than missing on the toe an inch and being 5-10 yards short vs 10-15 yards short.

I'd agree with you completely that I was/am a lazy swinger, which is something I've worked with my instructor on at his suggestion, but I have no idea if that's a factor in how I feel about iron choices.

I was just curious Hawk thanks for responding.

I was just curious Hawk thanks for responding.

No problem, buddy. I get that I probably sound like an idiot, but it's all based on experiences that I've had. If I'd gone out and added 10 strokes to my game I'd feel different. Thanks to THP, I've been in a situation that I've been able to play almost every type of club out there. The more I play, the more I realize that I'm the weak link rather than clubs lol.

No problem, buddy. I get that I probably sound like an idiot, but it's all based on experiences that I've had. If I'd gone out and added 10 strokes to my game I'd feel different. Thanks to THP, I've been in a situation that I've been able to play almost every type of club out there. The more I play, the more I realize that I'm the weak link rather than clubs lol.

On the contrary, I actually think your explanations make perfect sense. You and all the staffers on THP have always impressed me with your level of knowledge as it pertains to this game. Knowledge is knowledge no matter how much time you've been in it.

If that's not worth a bro hug I don't know what is lol!

Fitness plays a huge part in this game and is one reason older golfers regress and their games don't hold up with age but it is also true for younger golfers. If you get tired at any point in a round you are going to have fats, thins, shanks, it is inevitable.

I play the nike VR pro combos.
First of all, even though I have played more forgiving irons, and I know that I can shoot better scores with them, I just feel more confident standing over a small forged head. Also, I have this mental block that won't let me swing easy with a real forgiving club. haha. I personally feel as a result, my swing has gotten better.
Second of all, I grew up playing traditional clubs with traditional lofts, which could contribute to my confidence over these clubs.
As for the rest of my bag, I just tested a bunch of equipment until I found wedges that felt good and I could control distance with, a putter that really rolled the ball, and woods and drivers that smashed the ball straight.
Ego for me was a problem at one time, but I just feel better, and honestly play a little better with the setup that I have now than any other of the 3 I've had in the past year and a half.

Does this have anything to do with the off the cuff comment I made the other day Chunky?

What I've finally decided on is that I want the least forgiving clubs I can play automatically. I don't want full on MB where I have to have a swing thought when I step up to the ball but I also don't want a G20 where I still have a swing thought, just a different one. The goal is to be able to step up and hit, none of this remember to elongate the back swing for more loading or accelerating in a different spot. Those variations lead to ruin for me. However being lazy and not paying much attention at all is just as bad.

I've also found that I need more or less forgiveness depending on the clubs purpose. My hybrids? Those things have horrible offset but the whole point of them is for high drawing shots or playable shots when my release is late. However the 380CC driver that I prefer is much less forgiving on the face but easier to turn over thus eliminating a lot of my misses yet one would call it a rather unforgiving club overall.

Suffice to say, I subscribe to Thain's school of misses.

When the announcements for TMC came out, and all the hype about the 588's started, I thought for sure I would be going that way. I mean, let's face it, they are gorgeous, but the more I thought about it, the less I felt they were right for my game. That's why I will be gaming the Black's at TMC. I took ego out of it, and made a decision on what I thought I would be most comfortable, and confident with.

I'd like to chime in on this topic. Ego does play a part in what I play for the most part. I am seriously pondering Miura irons. I play to about a 6 handicap. I really love the looks of the clubs and love the fact that if I do end up gaming them, I'll be the only person I know with them. Pretty stupid reason to buy clubs. But if every time I look at them I get an overwhelming sense of joy and confidence, then to me it was worth it. I buy what I like and then get accustomed to playing it. I enjoy golf and further more, I enjoy golf equipment! I think buying golf clubs and buying clothes are very similar! Does everybody buy bespoke suits? No, they buy what's on the rack and then have it altered to fit their body. Most of the time it's the same with clubs. We buy what we like and THEN figure out a way to make it work.

Why is it always ego when someone uses a smaller club? Everyone talks about confidence in what they're using and I simply have zero confidence in larger clubs. Bigger isn't better here, at least for me.

If ego was a factor I'd take those G20's from last night. 150 yard 9 iron or pitching wedge so I can feel like I'm blowing it by everyone? I'd say that's more of a ego trip then wanting precise shot placement.

Why is it always ego when someone uses a smaller club? Everyone talks about confidence in what they're using and I simply have zero confidence in larger clubs. Bigger isn't better here, at least for me.

If ego was a factor I'd take those G20's from last night. 150 yard 9 iron or pitching wedge so I can feel like I'm blowing it by everyone? I'd say that's more of a ego trip then wanting precise shot placement.

Wise Tuna!

I play what I would consider to be a "player iron" Snake Eyes TC-01. Smaller head, low offset, thin cavity. I play them mainly because its what I have. I have played them since high school when me and dad built them. It was a bit of an ego thing because almoat everyone I was playing against in those days was playing shovels, and it made me feel like a had an advantage to play a players iron. Now, i want to play what will fit me, but I still want to play a smaller profile head. I have zero confidence over a larger iron head. I'm really looking forward to demo day and getting an idea of what I like. I really like the look of Bridgestone irons and will spend some quality time with the J40 cb's. I also really like the idea of combo sefs as well and will be looking to build a combo out which OEM feels best and looks best to me.

ST not at all. I said at the beginning this was not pointed at anyone and I meant it. The only person it was truly pointed at was me as I started thinking to myself why was I so afraid to just admit that I hit the crap out of the XF's and yet I still wanted the Forged. Trust me when I say I really take everyones comments as jokes and take nothing personal.

Does this have anything to do with the off the cuff comment I made the other day Chunky?

What I've finally decided on is that I want the least forgiving clubs I can play automatically. I don't want full on MB where I have to have a swing thought when I step up to the ball but I also don't want a G20 where I still have a swing thought, just a different one. The goal is to be able to step up and hit, none of this remember to elongate the back swing for more loading or accelerating in a different spot. Those variations lead to ruin for me. However being lazy and not paying much attention at all is just as bad.

I've also found that I need more or less forgiveness depending on the clubs purpose. My hybrids? Those things have horrible offset but the whole point of them is for high drawing shots or playable shots when my release is late. However the 380CC driver that I prefer is much less forgiving on the face but easier to turn over thus eliminating a lot of my misses yet one would call it a rather unforgiving club overall.

Suffice to say, I subscribe to Thain's school of misses.

ST not at all. I said at the beginning this was not pointed at anyone and I meant it. The only person it was truly pointed at was me as I started thinking to myself why was I so afraid to just admit that I hit the crap out of the XF's and yet I still wanted the Forged. Trust me when I say I really take everyones comments as jokes and take nothing personal.

I didn't mean it like a dig CL, just more of a wondering what other people's thoughts were. I know I tend to buck the trend in the forgiveness debates and I was just curious if that plus your thoughts lateley meant you were wondering if we were both crazy of it it was just me who was crazy.

Be proud of the XF's mate. They're gorgeous and if you hit the snot out of them and are comfortable over the ball, that's all that matters.

Holy crap. I just read this entire thread and all I can do is chuckle a bit. That's all I have at the moment because honestly I find some of it genuinely funny.

Back