MLB 2012 season (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no problem sending him out because of the 2 run lead and letting him try and finish it. I think he was over 10 K's at that point but Wash was looking for a 1, 2, 3 inning. If he put someone on base then it was over.

Pitchers don't wear down they hit walls and they are done, Wash likes to make sure his players know he is going to treat them as people and not as an interchangeable part or a statistic and he did that. I like that, and it worked, but I am not sure I would have done the same thing.

If I remember right, his pitch count was over 110 going into that inning so needless to say his leash was going to be short. 2 run game and all it would take is a HR to knot it up at 2-2. Once the single was hit, he was gone. And why? Well, when you have one of the best bullpens in the league, it's easy to make that decision. No brainer. It's the Yanks, 3rd best run scoring team in the league. Go get that fresh arm from your bullpen.

I think this makes the 2nd straight game where his pitch count has been over 110 pitches. I heard them say last night that those pitch counts are nothing because he was well above that when he pitched in Japan. What he was throwing last night was sick. His breaking ball must break a good 4 feet. He gets out of a bases loaded no outs situation early on. It's still early, but a 25 year old Darvish is looking good so far.
I remember when in the 70s and earlier, pitchers completed half the games they started. And they only had a four man rotation, not five. They didn't worry much about pitch counts.

love the start by the Indians, but I realize nwo you cant play the Royals 120+ times a year, and Ill venture to say they fade away once they start playing some above .500 teams

love the start by the Indians, but I realize nwo you cant play the Royals 120+ times a year, and Ill venture to say they fade away once they start playing some above .500 teams

Everyone wants to come to Kansas City for a few games.

I remember when in the 70s and earlier, pitchers completed half the games they started. And they only had a four man rotation, not five. They didn't worry much about pitch counts.

it's completely different now. When I worked for a minor league team it was all about pitch count. Frustrating to watch. Not managing to win games, though they tell the players to go out and win. Everything was based on pitch count and the games were managed to the very pitch. When the manager told me they were going to get 75 pitches out of Zagurski, that night he threw 75 as close to 75 as possible regardless of how the game was being played.

Rangers Starting Pitching pitch count:

Harrison - 120, 111, 103
Lewis - 98, 107, 109, 100
Darvish - 119, 121, 102, 110
Feliz - 119, 93, 108
Holland - 119, 93, 108

Rangers are getting some quality starts from all 5 spots thus far.

It's just too bad the Rangers couldn't (twice) throw one more strike last year.

You are right, there were pitchers in those days who pitched more complete games in some years than most guys today will pitch in an entire career. Pitch counts came into being to avoid injuries and extend careers but another reason was nailing down a win, a lot of games were decided in the last 2 or 3 innings regardless of what the score was going into the 7th or 8th and smart managers realized that a fresh arm could seal a victory.

Rangers Starting Pitching pitch count:

Harrison - 120, 111, 103
Lewis - 98, 107, 109, 100
Darvish - 119, 121, 102, 110
Feliz - 119, 93, 108
Holland - 119, 93, 108

Rangers are getting some quality starts from all 5 spots thus far.

thats kinda scary, usually when that happens this early, you see guys not make it all the way through the year

thats kinda scary, usually when that happens this early, you see guys not make it all the way through the year
Lewis, Holland and Harrison I think can handle that load. Darvish we will see. Feliz probably can't which is why Feldman is spot starting tonight in his place. They are going to use Feldman in a bunch of spot starts to give anyone at anytime a rest. Nice 6th picture to have in the rotation.

NEWS FLASH:

Kansas City is leading Cleveland 4-2 in the top of the ninth.

UPDATE: Now it's 8-2. Can they blow this and continue their run for the record?

And the streak is over. Hopefully they can get back to winning a few in a row.

The Mets won again. This is fun.

Angles lose again.....AP 0-3.....wow.

How often does it happen that a star in one league goes to the other and is a flop? Pretty damn often.

How often does it happen that a star in one league goes to the other and is a flop? Pretty damn often.

They could be 8.5 games out in about 30 minutes....even the Royals have less games to make up!

Rangers take 2 of 3 against the Yanks. Won tonight with bullpen pitchers only from start to finish. Awesome start!

I doubt he is a flop. I bet we will see him be a pretty damn good player by the end of the year.

As of now, he sucks.

I have a hard time calling him a flop just yet.

Wasn't necessarily calling Pujols an A.L. flop, just pointing out that people who were really good in one league flop in the other league. Maybe pitchers more often than position players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back