2012 Callaway Forged Wedges

same here breezy, any time I hit a bad chip now its because I just didn't aim it correctly or land it in the right spot. As far as picking a spot and being able to hit it there the way I want to is easy, I just need to make sure I am picking the right spot.

Does anyone else find it incredibly easy to hit flop shots with these? I have had a couple tricky shots that I have been able to stick right next to the hole by utilizing this shot and it just seems so much easier. I never used to have to nerve to try this as often as I have recently because I couldn't pull them off consistently. This shot will really come in handy in MB.

I don't hit a lot of flop shots (I am always afraid I am going to blade it across the green!), but I love to hit these high knowing they are going to land soft and (usually) not roll out too much.

Does anyone else find it incredibly easy to hit flop shots with these? I have had a couple tricky shots that I have been able to stick right next to the hole by utilizing this shot and it just seems so much easier. I never used to have to nerve to try this as often as I have recently because I couldn't pull them off consistently. This shot will really come in handy in MB.

I have found that I can hit flops without laying the face completely open...must be the C grind....but just that extra little bit makes them much easier to hit

These Forged Callaway wedges will definetly be my next purchase.

Big time difference for me hitting flops. The head weight has something to do with that I think.

They are great performing wedges, but I still can't get over the hideous copper.

Have you seen the copper in person? I used to be just a traditional satin finish wedge player, I didn't like the fancy finishes, but once I saw these in person they were too good to pass up.

So those that got the copper finish...you have had them about a month and a half now.....any signs of rust?

No rust so far, I am going to clean my clubs tomorrow and then I'll snap some pics of them. The copper is slightly faded on the bottom and faded in the center of the face where the contact is mostly made. Still a hot looking wedge.

Today I had an AMAZING round with these! had a few shots that ended up just off the green and I stuck it within 2 feet on every chip. I am just blown away by how easy these are to hit! On one hole I dropped one down just to try a flop shot for fun again and just nailed it perfectly. It was about a 15 yard flop to an elevated green and the pin was only about 5 paces from the edge of the green. Stuck it within 3 feet. If you haven't tried these yet don't even worry about trying them, just go buy them. You won't regret it!

These dang clubs are drawing me in very quickly even though my JAWS wedges are like new; with only a few rounds on them. I have a new set of KBS Custom shafts on the way and I feel like I need new wedges to go in the new shafts. I'll be busy for the next couple of hours as I go back and re-read this entire thread.

No rust so far, I am going to clean my clubs tomorrow and then I'll snap some pics of them. The copper is slightly faded on the bottom and faded in the center of the face where the contact is mostly made. Still a hot looking wedge.

Today I had an AMAZING round with these! had a few shots that ended up just off the green and I stuck it within 2 feet on every chip. I am just blown away by how easy these are to hit! On one hole I dropped one down just to try a flop shot for fun again and just nailed it perfectly. It was about a 15 yard flop to an elevated green and the pin was only about 5 paces from the edge of the green. Stuck it within 3 feet. If you haven't tried these yet don't even worry about trying them, just go buy them. You won't regret it!

Dang it....if they don't rust I am going to kick myself...LOL

Don't get me wrong, the dark chrome looks and performs great....but those copper ones and just flat sexxy !

Huh. That is interesting about the copper ones taking so long to rust. I guess I never knew or thought about how long it would take.

So those that got the copper finish...you have had them about a month and a half now.....any signs of rust?

No rust yet. I'm starting to think they wont rust

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

No rust yet. I'm starting to think they wont rust

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Didn't someone say earlier in this thread that they aren't supposed to? I thought I saw that.

The video links from early in the thread aren't working for me, does anyone know if they got moved to another url?

Didn't someone say earlier in this thread that they aren't supposed to? I thought I saw that.

Yeah, there was a quote somebody said Roger Cleveland had said in an interview that they wouldnt rust, but JB didn't think that was right and was going to check on it.

I think we all just assumed that copper will rust....I LOVE the copper finish.,.but HATE rust..LOL

like I said, I love my Dark Chrome Wedges too...but I would have ordered copper if we knew they wouldn't rust.

Callaway's website says they are designed to "oxidize over time". Oxidize doesn't necessarily mean rust, but, over time the look of the metal will age with some character (which I believe will look very nice).

I have noticed a little fading of the finish on the sole and the center of the face, but it actually looks REALLY cool! No rust though.

I had a spectacular round with these on Friday. Several holes I was just off the green after my approach, and I managed to get up and down every time. Also had a bunker shot that just came out so effortlessly and saved par on that one as well. One of my best rounds in a while overall and a lot of it was due to my short game coming around so well. These wedges are definitely game-changers for me. I'm headed out this evening for some short game practice and then I will get them cleaned up and snap some photos so you can see how the finish is holding up.

Bradd I have noticed that these have been really nice for me out of the sand. I think the heavier head makes me take a nice smooth swing which is better out of bunkers

Went to Golfsmith today to get a better look at the Callaway wedges. They had the JAWS as well as the new Forged so I was able to compare. Below is a side to side pic. JAWS on left, 2012 Forged on right. The forged felt lighter, had a slightly more square leading edge, and was maybe a tiny bit bigger in the head size overall. The biggest difference was in how much closer to the ground the leading edge sat with the Forged. These were both 58* and similar bounces, (8* & 9*) but the Forged leading edge almost sat on the ground while the JAWS' edge was a goof 1/4-1/2" off the ground. Big difference.

compare.jpg

Also, I saw these wedges. Have I been under a rock or has nobody else heard of these? The Golfsmith price sticker has the date the price sticker was printed on it, (I assume that is close to the receive date), and the Forged wedge had 2/7/2012 and the Razr X had 2/21/2012 so I'm assuming this is a current model. The price point made me think this as well; $119. They looked very sharp in person.

razrx.jpg

wonder if that Razr X wedge is a golfsmith exclusive? Similar to the Warbird wedges you can get a dicks?

Went to a Callaway demo day and hit these beauties, they sure looked pretty and felt real balanced.
I was able to hit every shot I wanted even off of mats, control trajectory on pitches and even a flop shot. Had a good laugh with the rep when I hit the bottom of the net for the range stall right above me(its a two story range) with a flop shot.
One thing I wanted to ask you about is, I did read that some of you are seeing the ball flies really high on full shots, and I observed the same thing yesterday.
I was hitting a 56 degree into a 16mph head wind and was flying my full wedge shots only about 85yds. My only worry is distance gaps if I were to get these wedges between my AW and the 56 degree since the ball flies so high and my AW has a significantly more penetrating flight(R11).
Did you guys make any adjustments to distance gaps?

Went to a Callaway demo day and hit these beauties, they sure looked pretty and felt real balanced.
I was able to hit every shot I wanted even off of mats, control trajectory on pitches and even a flop shot. Had a good laugh with the rep when I hit the bottom of the net for the range stall right above me(its a two story range) with a flop shot.
One thing I wanted to ask you about is, I did read that some of you are seeing the ball flies really high on full shots, and I observed the same thing yesterday.
I was hitting a 56 degree into a 16mph head wind and was flying my full wedge shots only about 85yds. My only worry is distance gaps if I were to get these wedges between my AW and the 56 degree since the ball flies so high and my AW has a significantly more penetrating flight(R11).
Did you guys make any adjustments to distance gaps?

I'm not personally seein this really high ball flight and my distance is right where it should be with he lofts I have. I don't think you will have any issues.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit these at a Callaway demo day also. I liked the feeling but was unable to get reliable distance reading due to a poorly marked range. I will hit again before deciding to buy. One thing the rep told me that I had never thought of before; he said that there are tolerances in the construction of the clubs of about 1.5* in loft and lie. He said the first thing that should be done when buying new clubs, including these wedges, is have the lofts checked and adjusted. You could buy a 52* and a 56* but find that there is actually only 1* of loft difference before adjusting. He said that the only club he has ever seen that is always spot on is Scotty Cameron Putters.

I finally got a chance to use a 60* today before my round, was chipping around on the practice green with my SCOR and a guy had a 60* and was asking about the SCOR and asked if I wanted to swap him for a few shots so we did. He really liked the SCOR wedge and I REALLY liked the Callaway Forged, I would need a lot more time with them to see if they could surpass my favorite wedge which is the Jaws but from what I saw today these could really be special after some time well spent together. They felt nice, looked great, put a decent amount of spin on the ball and just overall felt very comfortable in my hands as almost all Callaway wedges do for some reason. Ponder mode fellas lol.

Back