Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Even with those strong lofts I bet you some how could still hit the i20's just as far if not very close.

Sweet! Good to know.

I owned the Z Stars and the 2.0s. As i posted a bit back in this thread, I also had most of my i20s bent 1* weak to get 4* spacing across the set and wedges. I hit all three of these about the same distance. I did neglect to note earlier that I got the i20s + 1/2". I'd say with all that said, length is about the same give or take a couple yards.

Yeah, the Z-Stars are 2-3* stronger than the i20's.

Club456789PW
Z-Star22242730343944
i2024273033374146

So are you saying that you think the Z-Star's are "longer' than the i20's, 2.0's, etc...? I don't think of the Z-Stars as a "distance" iron.

44* PW! I think of them as distance irons...

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

P.S. everyone: what's the over/under on number of days until Colt gets his 3rd set? Before Oregon gets his first?

I wouldn't make any bets on that. I already have the 588 split set ordered. Two is all I can handle in the i20's. Add the 588's and my TP MC's and four sets is too much. I'll be selling the TP MC's soon. I have somebody that's already hit me up for them.

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. Griff: I've been using a ping pw, sw and a lw that my dad gave me years ago that'd been bent to 60*. Very comfortable with the pw, it's a very solid club for me that's turned into my go-to club. I use it for anything inside of 110 yards as long as the geography allows. The sand in the NW cannot be described as fluffy or soft and you might have heard that we occasionally get wet around here -- so it's good to have a tool that can make it through compacted sand. The lw has never been my strong suit but I'm getting more comfortable with it. I didn't order the i20 lw since I'd rather keep my dad's in the bag (he passed away last May and was responsible for my love of the game).

I'm all for learning the tool that I bought (good thought from Crimtide) but want to be sure I'm investing in a good tool that'll reward my devotion. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry took me so long to get back to you (work work work). Think the UW/SW would be just fine. I haven't given away much of anything using them. The bunkers you describe won't be too tough for the i20s. If you were in beachy sand I'd recommend at least one SCOR wedge. What I really like about the i20 wedges is they look and feel is the same as the irons. On full shots they are wonderful. With more practice they'll be just as good as any other wedge I've used in the past and I've used all the big names.

Unlike many set wedges the i20s stay lean and mean. No chunky or clunky performance.

What do you guys think is the trick with these irons? WHy are they so good? I was thinking about this last night. There's a lot of interesting things that I just thought about highlighting. I like the absence of sound at impact. These irons are silent like. Then that led me to think about the stability bar in the cavity. Does it absorb sound or just literally make these feel softer? Then there's the turf interaction. Not too aggressive, but not to weak either. Just right. I'm not sure that there's anything overly sexy or jaw dropping about the irons, but almost every component seems to be just right. They make you long to hit them. I've had clubs do that in the past, and I've certainly had a certain iron that made me do that, but never an entire set. I really don't care which iron I'm hitting. I like how all of them seem to be just right.

Been trying to figure this one out as well. From the ground up they just work. IMO it starts with the sole. More bounce is good for everyone. Not only is it more bounce, it's how it's built. Sole isn't a big hump, there's a lot going on when you compare them side by side with each other and other irons out there.

There's nothing wasted. When I look at them it's like every angle and curve was purposeful.

i've managed to get another few rounds under my belt with the i20's and I really can't add a huge amount to this thread without just repeating whats already been said. The clubs work. They just flat out work. They will absolutely not correct a bad swing and you will be punished like any other stick, but that's why golf is great. They will however make you feel so much more confident over the ball and allow you pick a target and put your swing on it without worrying about swing mechanics, turf interaction and all the other stuff I used to furrow my brow over when i played the Mizuno mp52's. They also are pretty forgiving off off centre strikes.

I had some crazy golf over the weekend. Sat comp day I played glorious golf for ten holes followed by finding every bunker off the tee for the next nine. +1 for 10 holes and disaster-city for the next 8. The +1 was all down to my i20's. The carnage that ensued was all down to my driver.

On Sunday I played in the most foul, vicious, sadistic weather conditions I have ever played in before. If it wasn't an inter-club event there would be zero point zero chance of me being within 10 miles of a golf course. It was easily a 40mph wind, or a 5-club wind in our golfing parlance. The rain was sheeting down and it was freezing. Really, truly awful. My drives were landing two fairways left or right of target depending on wind direction. My PW, which i hit 130-140 travelled 80yds in a headwind. To cut a long story short, i won the match on the 18th hole with a 12ft putt, which put our club through to the next round. What amazed me was, despite being unable to hit a solid drive in that wind, my iron play was what kept me in the match. I was able to play low shots under the wind and work the ball against the effects of the conditions. I was wondering prior to this weekend if I should have gone with c-tapers instead of KBS tours, but i'm now sure I made the right call. My ball flight is perfect with these.

One final thing to add, and i know its been said before, but the turf interaction on these clubs are fantastic. I have not dug once with any of the clubs and I have now played in them in hardpan, rough and the boggiest wettest conditions they'll ever experience. My mp52's used to take thick chunks out of the turf, these just take beautiful shallow divots. I love em, i really do. Now if I can just get rid of my hooky shots and sort out my driver, but thats for another day.

Game on i20's. I reckon they'll get me to 6HC this year.

I had a dream these irons were here before the outing.... Then I realized I was dreaming. Reading these reviews sure gives a couple feelings. Excitement and disappointment that my order was most likely lost in the shuffle, hence the long wait time for shafts noone plays but Paul Casey. :)

I had a dream these irons were here before the outing.... Then I realized I was dreaming. Reading these reviews sure gives a couple feelings. Excitement and disappointment that my order was most likely lost in the shuffle, hence the long wait time for shafts noone plays but Paul Casey. :)

Jeez dude, I hope they show up before hand for you.

Yoccos, you call Ping? I find they are really responsive and maybe willing to pull strings for an urgent need (like this). Their customer service # is 1.800.474.6434 - you need the order # or they can often look that up with the shop name that ordered them for you and your name. Good luck

That a pretty solid lineup, Colt. Looking forward to hearing how much better the PXi's are in that HI wind. The CFS are ideal for me here in So Cal where "wind" is a 5-10 mph breeze off the ocean. I definitely am hitting the shorter irons pretty high but given the little wind and the fact it is not a "ballooing" I find them a nice fit - I was getting a near perfect (allegedly) 49* descent on the LM with my 7i. I could see trying the PXi's at some poitn given I used to game PX int he 2nd best set I've ever owned - just haven't been able to hit them.

I wouldn't make any bets on that. I already have the 588 split set ordered. Two is all I can handle in the i20's. Add the 588's and my TP MC's and four sets is too much. I'll be selling the TP MC's soon. I have somebody that's already hit me up for them.

Jeez dude, I hope they show up before hand for you.

Me too. You'd think being in AZ might give me a leg up. Its ok, I'm getting really good with my CI7's.

What's got me really excited is the turf interaction. I know that sounds dumb but I didnt feel like I could dig too much with these and thats important. Truth be told I snuck some swing in with an i20 we have at one of my local ranges. Its' green dot but man, is it straight. I'm wondering if the Ping fitting might be off since it was indoors. One day I ll see!

Wow... and didn't you have the Z-Stars in the past 10 months or so too? You sir, are a HO.

You guys had me thinking more about this yesterday. TC, I think the thinkign process. Jman, you are right they do eveythign well: they are very forgiving but maybe not they most forgiving, they are long but probably not the longest, they look great but others may look better (kind of the smart, cute girl you marry rather than the really hot one you "date" for a while that won't work out because she'll cheat and/or take half your money), etc., etc. But what's bugging me is they aren't a "jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none" either becuase they are better than that so I forced myself to figure out the one thing I think sets these apart: I think it is consistency. Not forgiveness, mind you. I mean when I mis-hit it similarly, the results are similar. When I nut it, the results are similar (think 2.0s). And when you have this consistency, you have predictability and predictability is perhaps the #1 thing to look for in golf (at least for those not in denial that equipment can fix everything). My 2 cents.

Its what I myself have been battling to try and put into words. All I can come back to so far is its not that they are the greatest thing ever in any one area or category to me, but rather that they are really good in ALL areas, and enough so that when combined PING quite literally just hit it on the head.

Its a true conundrum for me to verbalize honestly.

Oops didn't realize you were in AZ already - bet that 800 # really helped since you can just knock on their door... Anyway, good luck.

Me too. You'd think being in AZ might give me a leg up. Its ok, I'm getting really good with my CI7's.

What's got me really excited is the turf interaction. I know that sounds dumb but I didnt feel like I could dig too much with these and thats important. Truth be told I snuck some swing in with an i20 we have at one of my local ranges. Its' green dot but man, is it straight. I'm wondering if the Ping fitting might be off since it was indoors. One day I ll see!

Man, its nuts it is taking this long! I'd be pulling my hair out.

I think it is a combination of a few things.
1. Forgiveness. These had a good amount of forgiveness towards the toe which most of us need. They seem to upgrade each shot you make, ex. a poor shot becomes a manageable shot.

2. Look. These don't look like blades nor shovels. Their top line is thin enough for better players and but the club doesn't look so small as to intimidate.

3. Feel/feedback. These have a great feel and sound. You just know when you hit a good, decent, or bad shot. There is no real guessing.

4. Playability/workability: You can play any shot needed with these irons. A fade/draw/knockdown, whatever the situation calls.

5. Shaft/head combo: I use the CFS shafts and they just feel perfect with the i20 head. They give enough heft without being heavy which still being relatively light.

What do you guys think is the trick with these irons? WHy are they so good? I was thinking about this last night. There's a lot of interesting things that I just thought about highlighting. I like the absence of sound at impact. These irons are silent like. Then that led me to think about the stability bar in the cavity. Does it absorb sound or just literally make these feel softer? Then there's the turf interaction. Not too aggressive, but not to weak either. Just right. I'm not sure that there's anything overly sexy or jaw dropping about the irons, but almost every component seems to be just right. They make you long to hit them. I've had clubs do that in the past, and I've certainly had a certain iron that made me do that, but never an entire set. I really don't care which iron I'm hitting. I like how all of them seem to be just right.

I've been waiting over 2 weeks now and I'm just getting CFS. I've decided I'll be happy as long as they come before August and they're done correct. Seems like half the world has ordered these.

The day has finally come!! PING is going to be at the demo day at Ohio State Golf Course today, and I am getting fit and ordering my i20's. Going to go 4-PW, red paint in the #'s and PING on the hosel, to support my Buckeye themed bag. I even scheduled to leave work early so I can have plenty of time at the range with the reps.

Haven't been this excited in a while, can't wait to hang the MP 37's up for good :drinks:

Sorry took me so long to get back to you (work work work). Think the UW/SW would be just fine. I haven't given away much of anything using them. The bunkers you describe won't be too tough for the i20s. If you were in beachy sand I'd recommend at least one SCOR wedge. What I really like about the i20 wedges is they look and feel is the same as the irons. On full shots they are wonderful. With more practice they'll be just as good as any other wedge I've used in the past and I've used all the big names.

Unlike many set wedges the i20s stay lean and mean. No chunky or clunky performance.

Thanks Griff, I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna stop second guessing myself and see how they play. My dad's LW was magical yesterday morning. Put a ball six inches from the cup from 20 yards off the green and another in the cup from a dicey lie off the green. I expect he's watching or helping, at least I like to think so...

Can't wait to play the i20s.

Was just hitting these at the range and was thinking about what's been said in here.

PING has never been "sexy" or "sleek" with their irons. They have one goal in mind there, and that's too make EVERY golfer that plays their irons a better golfer.

When they get it in their mind that this sole design or that perimeter weighting is going to provide optimal results for the greatest number of golfers then thats what they go with. Design takes a back seat usually, but not with these.

While I do think my soon coming secondary set, the 588 split set, is a better looking iron. By no means are the i20's ugly. They've seemed to have taken some awesome ideas to increase playability through the well thought out soles that others would have shied away from and a more maneuverable club head, paired it with a high MOI through tungsten weighting, and somehow or another paired distance AND excellent consistency all into a cast head that they managed to force a ton of feel and a healthy balance of feedback into. And to put the cherry on the steel Sunday they made a head that people actually LIKE to look at...

I am thoroughly satisfied with what PING has done here and could only hope that PING stays true to their roots while continuing to add just a touch of flair like they did with these.

Keep up the amazing work fellas! Both PING and the testers!!!

Yeah, the Z-Stars are 2-3* stronger than the i20's.

Club
PW
Z-Star
i20

I actually like how the gaps in the i20's set up. With the PW being 46 it sets up perfectly for rounding it out with wedges of 50,54,58.

Got fit for i20's yesterday at the ping performance center at dragonridge cc in las vegas. I was a little hungover, having stayed up till 7am gambling/drinking but I think that just helped highlight how good these irons are. During the fitting I hit a lot more bad shots than usual and I was amazed how they still stayed pretty straight and didn't lose as much distance as I would have with my own irons. The groupings got tighter and tighter as the fitter dialed in the lie angle and shaft selection and the stupid grin on my face kept getting bigger and bigger. Now the hardest part will be the wait until the new clubs arrive. The fitter had the factory on the phone while making the order and they said it will probably arrive before next friday. So about 10 days. That seems to be about what others on this thread have been getting. It's going to be like waiting for Christmas to roll around when i was a kid.

I agree with Oregon Golfer, I love the gaps. I have the Ping Tour S 50, 54 and 58. No matter what wedges I try, I seem to always go back to Ping wedges and I love this gap sequence.

UPDATE on the I20s: I am not setting the world on fire these days, but mostly because I am putting like a moron. The thing I notice most about the I20's (like everyone else), is when I miss, the ball still goes on it's intended target line and fairly far. With my last two sets of irons (S56's and AP2's), I would get punished badly for missing. The i20's have saved me some strokes on misses. Comparing these to the S56's: The S56's were much easier to work the ball, but not nearly as forgiving. I am still a big fan of the S56 though and look forward to what Ping comes with this fall as it's predecessor. (S55?)

Great Review Boys I will be looking into these

3 posts? I expect to see more in the "what are you drinking now" thread? :act-up: congrats on the sticks - hope your swing is the same with sleep, but what I really want to know is whether you won at the tables?

Got fit for i20's yesterday at the ping performance center at dragonridge cc in las vegas. I was a little hungover, having stayed up till 7am gambling/drinking but I think that just helped highlight how good these irons are. During the fitting I hit a lot more bad shots than usual and I was amazed how they still stayed pretty straight and didn't lose as much distance as I would have with my own irons. The groupings got tighter and tighter as the fitter dialed in the lie angle and shaft selection and the stupid grin on my face kept getting bigger and bigger. Now the hardest part will be the wait until the new clubs arrive. The fitter had the factory on the phone while making the order and they said it will probably arrive before next friday. So about 10 days. That seems to be about what others on this thread have been getting. It's going to be like waiting for Christmas to roll around when i was a kid.

The day has finally come!! PING is going to be at the demo day at Ohio State Golf Course today, and I am getting fit and ordering my i20's. Going to go 4-PW, red paint in the #'s and PING on the hosel, to support my Buckeye themed bag. I even scheduled to leave work early so I can have plenty of time at the range with the reps.

Haven't been this excited in a while, can't wait to hang the MP 37's up for good :drinks:

Just got back, now I understand the hype around these clubs. I've been around golf forums for years, back to the GEA forum days (I think I was 14-15 years old then?), and I can differentiate hype from a true winner of a club/clubs. Thus, for a while now, I have been able to tell from the repetitive praise on these that they were special. Still, I need to feel/see it for myself to buy into it.

Well, I am sold. I don't think I've hit a better, more well rounded iron. I will leave out the shots that were hit perfectly - those are pointless to review, a solid strike is a solid strike, and 99% of clubs will feel good and give a good result on these swings. (Disclaimer: my perfect ["solid"] shots felt and looked nothing less than amazing, for reference). However, when I caught it on the toe, it held it's line, with minor distance loss. When I chunked the hell out of it, it still managed to hold the line and only lose 5-10 yards...absolutely amazing. I am seriously excited after hitting these, it was an eye opening experience for me. "WOW" is the best way I can describe it.

I am a high ball hitter, and was hitting into a strong wind, and these were cutting through it beautifully with the KBS shafts.

Turf interaction was phenomenal. Surprisingly, coming from blades and never been a big PING iron look fan, I loved the look too.

I was fit for blue dot (.75* upright), std length (or could go 1/4" long) with KBS Tour X flex. They didn't have C Tapers to try, but I think the Tours are the ticket for me. Loved the feel. Tried the CFS and they weren't for me, although that it is a good shaft.

Question for the experts: KBS says their shafts are designed to be softstepped, correct? Since I was fit for the X, should I just stick with it, or still soft step it? The Stiff felt good too, but X felt best...to me, it seemed like middle of the road would be perfect. However, I am weary of going against what I was fit for. Can someone with experience give me some feedback on the benefits/changes I would see by softstepping the X's once? Is it going to screw with my ball flight, or just give a little more feel?

Back