Traditional shaving is a very relaxing process. I do it at night, that way any nicks or cuts are healed by morning, and it gets me ready for bed.

Sounds like me and beer.

This thread makes me wish I had spent the time to shave with one of my straights this morning. On work days I usually just pick up the DE.

Traditional shaving is a very relaxing process. I do it at night, that way any nicks or cuts are healed by morning, and it gets me ready for bed.

While this is true, as you gain more life experiences, more responsibilities come with those and time gets away.

While this is true, as you gain more life experiences, more responsibilities come with those and time gets away.

True. I am fortunate that I can devote the time required. I love it as much as golf.

I shave in the shower, but wait till the END! I used to have a problem area that would get razor burn, put the shave gel on & wait a bit.

I shave in the shower, but wait till the END! I used to have a problem area that would get razor burn, put the shave gel on & wait a bit.

This was my latest experiment and it failed for me.

Dev, have you ever tried the hot towel approach?

Dev, have you ever tried the hot towel approach?

Yes I have. Didnt work well for me. I am going to take a nice hot shower and then shave with the new cream and a fresh razor. See how that goes. Thinking about going the DE razor way too.

If you go that route, buy a Feather Popular or a vintage Gillette Tech Razor.

Both are very mild and easy to use, and best of all, cheap. Both are about 20 dollars, plus a few dollars for blades. Feather blades are probably the best money can buy in terms of sharpness, but can be too sharp for some.

Yes I have. Didnt work well for me. I am going to take a nice hot shower and then shave with the new cream and a fresh razor. See how that goes. Thinking about going the DE razor way too.

If you go that route, buy a Feather Popular or a vintage Gillette Tech Razor.

Both are very mild and easy to use, and best of all, cheap. Both are about 20 dollars, plus a few dollars for blades. Feather blades are probably the best money can buy in terms of sharpness, but can be too sharp for some.

How often do you change out the blades and how much are they? Also, is there a special technique you need to use?

I'll second what JR said about the Feather blades. They're my top pick. I also like Merkur for both blades and safety razors.

I don't shave with a DE, so honestly, I can't tell you. I know most change after 3-5 shaves. For technique, I will pull up some videos from youtube of people that are using perfect technique.
How often do you change out the blades and how much are they? Also, is there a special technique you need to use?

I can honestly say that I have tried dozens of vintage and traditional razors and all sucked for me without question for sensitive skin and a thick beard.

I can honestly say that I have tried dozens of vintage and traditional razors and all sucked for me without question for sensitive skin and a thick beard.

Thanks JB. What do you use? A Pro-glide?

As you can see, Dev, there is no one right answer. It is all about finding what works for you. Different strokes. I find that a straight is the best for me, but most do not. My friend recently converted to DE shaving, and he finds that that works best for him. JB uses traditional software, but not the razor. Everyone is different.

I'll second what JR said about the Feather blades. They're my top pick. I also like Merkur for both blades and safety razors.

I have struggled for years with shaving. I have hated it since I was a teenager. The burning and irritated skin, especially on the neck area, gets worse when exposed to sweat and sunlight on the golf course.

I recently started using a Merkur 34C with Merkur blades and Proraso shaving soap.

I no longer hate to shave. I wish someone had turned me on to this years ago.

Thanks JB. What do you use? A Pro-glide?

I use a Gillette Sensor 3 blade. I have for years and love it. I would change to the newer ones, but the thicker cartridges dont work as well for me on the Mustache area.

For DE technique, it's mostly about finding the right angle to hold the razor. Since the head doesn't tilt like the modern cartridge razors, you have to control the angle yourself. Follow the contours of your face. If you choose an adjustable razor, you can close or open the gap between the comb and the cover of the razor. Closed is easier to start out with.

I guess I have a few bullet point tips left....
The first few times you try it, go slow. It can be intimidating at first, but is well worth it.
Pull your skin away from the direction the razor is going with your free hand (or do facial contortions). Tight skin is happy skin. This will help prevent nicks and get a closer shave with less irritation.

As you can see, Dev, there is no one right answer. It is all about finding what works for you. Different strokes. I find that a straight is the best for me, but most do not. My friend recently converted to DE shaving, and he finds that that works best for him. JB uses traditional software, but not the razor. Everyone is different.

Do you know if the Feather popular comes with any blades?

It comes with a few, but I would go ahead and pick up a few more if you want to go that route.
Do you know if the Feather popular comes with any blades?

It comes with a few, but I would go ahead and pick up a few more if you want to go that route.

Its cheap enough where I can give it a try without spending money on blades before knowing if I like it. Thanks.

Cool. Just asked my friend, he said it comes with three blades, which is at least 10 shaves worth.
Its cheap enough where I can give it a try without spending money on blades before knowing if I like it. Thanks.

Overthinking shaving FTW. I hate shaving with a passion, so more often than not I just let it grow till I find a reason to shave. THen I trim it off with a buzz cutters and use whatever blade I happen to find in my house when I rummage around the bathroom.

I use a Gillette Sensor 3 blade. I have for years and love it. I would change to the newer ones, but the thicker cartridges dont work as well for me on the Mustache area.
This is one of the razors I still use.
I also have super thick facial hair and sensitive skin (and also oily). If I go 2 or more days w/out shaving, I use the Sensor 3. If I am shaving every day, I use the Fusion Pro Glide. If I go more than a day, the 5 blade just doesn't do the job as well. And, I use each razor 4 times and toss it, maybe 5.
The other thing that has helped me from getting razor burn is using Witch Hazel (a natural astringent) after shaving. It dries out the skin a bit, but like I mentioned, I have oily skin to start with.

Back