Na: I Can Sympathize

MUTiger

KC Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
About a year or so ago I posted a thread on THP about my problem in pulling the trigger. I still have the problem, so it was with equal parts empathy and sympathy I watched Kevin Na's struggles at The Players'. It was frustrating to hear the commentators say that the problem must be Na's lack of confidence in the swing he's trying to make. If Na's problem is anything like mine, that's not it at all.

Though I'm no threat to join the tour anytime soon, by most standards I'm a good golfer. I currently carry a 3 handicipap, and if this year is like any of the past several, I will be playing to a scratch by mid-summer. My last round was a 69 on my home course that carries a rating of 70.7 and a slope of 132.

The problem isn't lack of confidence. I have confidence in the shot I'm trying to execute, and more still in my ablity to pull it off. The hesitation doesn't come from lack of confidence, but rests entirely on flipping that mental switch that says "swing." I've told people it's as if there's a brick wall behind the club. I don't do the waggles that Na does, or the grip changes of Sergio; for me it's incessant pumping of the feet. I CAN'T get them to stop until I start taking the club back, and I can't take the club back until that brick wall is gone, and the brick wall doesn't come down until the mind's switch flips, and the swtich won't flip until blah, blah, blah.

I've tried many, many different ideas in order to flip the switch quicker, but nothing seems to work long-term. I can be going along ok, and then for no reason at all, the brick wall returns. It doesn't have to be a shot of any particular consequence, and really, for basically a weekend player who only plays the occasional tournament, what really is a "shot of consequence"? A skin here or a greenie doesn't really matter that much, not even to me. But I tell you that brick wall is as real as if a layer has mortared it up behind me.

The problem is sometimes at its worse when I'm out alone on the course. If it's not busy I'll often play two balls at once in made up matches like Prov1 vs. Penta. The failure to launch is just as likely to happen in these solo low key affairs as any time else. I've even had it happen in them middle of hitting a bucket of balls.

My problem isn't so bad that people won't play with me. No one has actually ever said anything to me about it, but I know they know. They'd have to. I try to speed up in other ways, usually starting my process when someone else in my group has already addressed their ball. Last Saturday our usual walking foursome cruised around in 3 1/2 hours, which is typical for us. In all other matters golf I consider myself to be a fast player, but I know that I often take too long after I've addressed the ball, and it's frustrating as hell. At least when I'm doing it I know there's not million of people watching it on tv, commentators talking about it, and dozens in the gallery yelling at me to just "swing the club."

I didn't start this thread for suggestions; I've tried them all (or a least think I have). My only purpose was to try and lend a kindred soul's perspective on what plagued Na this weekend.

Last edited:
I get where your coming from with the feeling of a brick wall behind the club head. I practiced on the range by where I just set up and pull the trigger, then not even look at the ball flight but set up another ball and go straight back into it, hitting maybe 5 or 6 in quick succession. I find that quick exercise takes away the over thinking side of things.

As for Na I think it was bad form of the crowd to get on his back shouting things like "Hit already" and "Just hit it". He spoke to reporters after and apologized for what he is going through at the moment. He has gone up in my book.

Is there video of any of this that happened this weekend? From the fans or from someone that has a clip on him taking a long time?

I met an older fella on the course a couple years back that was discussing with his playing partner (who was playing slowly) about a similar situation he had. He also had a problem pulling the trigger... he just couldn't move his arms or shoulders. So he developed a "trigger move" where he would tap his left foot up and down twice right before the start of the swing. It was as if once he tapped his left foot, he had no other choice but to start the swing. Of course, I have no idea what would happen if a "brick wall" then stopped him from doing the trigger move.

I'd be scared to take those pratice swings over the ball. He HAS to have lost some strokes that way at some point.

this is his press con after

Wow.....I was moving this weekend and did not see that. I had something in my mind of what he might be doing but that was worse than what I thought. That's like Sergio's regriping times 10!

I taught he was gonna start crying in the conference

I think that last year at oaks really got to him, I think that he doesn't want to repeat that again.

I taught he was gonna start crying in the conference
He's walking a fine line with the gallery comments...right or wrong. The issue is with him and not the gallery. But yes, the random Joe's should keep their comments to themselves.

And the heckling on course, in the press and online probably doesn't help him. I imagine it's difficult enough to overcome an issue like this, but to have every move commented on every where he plays has got to be torture.

I really liked Na's press conference. He is pretty open about it all... refreshing.

Has he been doing this all year long or did it just start the last couple of weeks?

Has he been doing this all year long or did it just start the last couple of weeks?

As far as I know he has been doing it the whole time but he 2 big ones at The Players really highlighted the problem (firs video above)

I certainly became even more of a Na fan this week. What he's going through just has to be horrible, especially since it directly affects his job. Here's hoping he can keep finally pulling the trigger and get a win!

What's even more amazing to me is that while he's going through all of this, he was still able to play excellent golf the first 3 rounds. After Saturday, he had played holes 16-18 at 5 under. That's extremely impressive to begin with, then you add in these problems and it's twice as impressive.

Hard to believe he can still hit a decent shot with all that going on. I hope he figures it out, therapy or hypnotism or whatever it takes.

My Fiance and I followed Na at the AT&T Pro-Am this year and we didn't notice his "trigger" problem. Yes, he has a few twitches and rituals which can be deemed as a neurosis of some sort, but it wasn't worth commenting/broadcasting like it was at the Players.

In any rate, hats off to the guy for being honest in front of the media. Hope he pulls through and figures out a way to "pull the trigger" comfortably.

he may be going through some issues with starting his swing but i gotta say to stand in front of the media and say sorry and be that honest takes some balls!

I was a fan of Na the way he handled that 16 on 9 last year, but the press conference this past weekend grew my admiration for this guy. I hate hecklers especially in golf, there is no place for it. I could never "pull the trigger" in their situations...you have mobs of people lining the tee boxes all eyes on you, it makes me appreciate what must be going through their minds when their addressing the ball on the tee.

Well, if he has the crowd in his head now, he could be screwed in the short term. Last thing I'd ever do is to make public what is getting to you. It could only get tougher on him now. Just ask Sergio.

It's pretty frustrating to watch.

I'm really glad he's honest with everyone and himself about it being a problem. He's working on it, he apologizes to his playing partners for it as well. It's nice to see someone handle it as classy as he is.

I've been working on changing my grip back to neutral and it can take me 15 seconds over the ball to pull the trigger...I can empathize with him because it's not fun but you can't rush or you're going to hit a bad shot.

Tap before talk.

Back