Upgrading my irons (finally)

Drs1321

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm new here, found the site while doing research on new irons. I've been playing my Ping Zing 2's for over 10 years now and it's really time to upgrade. They were given to me when i was 13 and were my second set of golf clubs. I'm a 10 handicap, and a little inconsistent with my irons lately. They used to be the best part of my game.

I've hit the G15's and I'm not a huge fan of the wide sole.
So far I've narrowed my search down to the W/S Di11's, Nike pro cavity, and TM burner 2.0's or r9s. I'd like to keep my budget under $400. Should I be looking at clubs with lower GI? And does anyone have any clubs to add or feedback on those irons? I'm leaning towards the Di11's but I'm not crazy about the strong lofts because I want to keep my current wedges and my iron game is already long.

Welcome to THP.

Well you have some great sets of irons on that list, and you are going to have a lot of people tell you to get fit for them and I have to agree, but as to the irons themselves.

I gamed the Di11's for quite some time and those are a great set of irons, they are long, and flight the ball very high with the stock shafts. I wasn't a huge fan of the Nike Pro Cavities, and the burner 2.0\s while a good iron were beaten out in my bag for the Di11's so take that for what its worth.

Probably my favorite iron on the list is the R9 irons which I loved and are great irons to this day. If I were you I would take a hard look at getting fit for those if you can.

Don't sleep on Adams! You can get the CB3"s on E-Bay for 550.00 brand new!

Welcome to THP.

Well you have some great sets of irons on that list, and you are going to have a lot of people tell you to get fit for them and I have to agree, but as to the irons themselves.

I gamed the Di11's for quite some time and those are a great set of irons, they are long, and flight the ball very high with the stock shafts. I wasn't a huge fan of the Nike Pro Cavities, and the burner 2.0\s while a good iron were beaten out in my bag for the Di11's so take that for what its worth.

Probably my favorite iron on the list is the R9 irons which I loved and are great irons to this day. If I were you I would take a hard look at getting fit for those if you can.

Thanks for the welcome!You're definitely right, I left that out. I plan on buying them on the bay and getting them fit. From what I read on here it should make a big difference.

I should also admit I thought for sure I was going to get another set of pings, since I loved my zings and all of my woods are G-15's/ G20's. I just can't get over the wide soles! Definitely digging the R9's though.

Welcome to thp.

Welcome to THP!! I have heard a tremendous amount of good things from the r9's.. I would think you would be able to find a set of those for a reasonable price under your budget?

Im a big fan of the 2.0's and the R9's, both of which can be found under your price point

Welcome to THP!

Ive found the forum searching for info on the Burner 2.0s. I ended up getting them and never regret my decision. Lots of info here and enjoy your stay!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to THP Drs, let us know what you end up with and as always, pics are a must. :D

I tried the Nike Pro Cavity, Titleist AP1, and Burner 2.0s

Burner 2.0 won out for me due to the better ball flight, dispersion, and overall just better feel.

It also didn't hurt that they were the least expensive of the three.

Welcome to THP !

Welcome to Thp !

Welcome to THP!!

I agree the burner 1.0 and 2.0 are great clubs! I find them to be very forgiving on badly struck shots and are long and straight. You can buy them for 400 or less and I believe the 2.0 set comes in a 3h 4h 5-pw+aw for around $400-500. I will gladly take forgiveness over feel, in my own opinion

You might consider the W/S Ci-11's.They are a little lower flighted than the Di-11 iron.They are also just as inexpensive on e-bay now.
Also welcome to thp..........I play the FG Tour V2's ....They come stock with KBS Tour shafts.......so sweet

Welcome to THP

If you like the Burner 2.0
You might want to look into the CG16 they have a $200.00 discount.

Great info

Great info

Welcome to THP.

I appreciate all the info. I am also upgrading. I am gonna check out the R9's

Everybody is hating on the Nikes ;) but I love mine. I would definitely suggest them

Welcome to THP! Have you looked at the Titleist AP1/AP2 lines?

I did check out the ap1's, and I like them but have heard mixed reviews on their forgiveness. Right now it's looking like the R9s, but im going to research the ci11s a bit. Thanks for all the great info so far!

Anyone else? :-D

I liked how the mizuno jpx800 hit. I also have to second everyone's suggestion of the Titleist AP1/AP2 - they are very forgiving and very workable.

The Mizunos from what I've gathered are probably the best, theyre just out of my price range and I really hate the design lol. I'm definitely going to have to hit the ap1s, ci11s, di11s R9s and pro cavities. The Nikes, to me, are the most aesthetically appealing, but all of these clubs are pretty and seem to look nice at setup. I can get the Ap1s on eBay for under 400.

I got my JPX 800 pros from Golfseller on ebay. His prices are awesome and he gets them directly to you from Mizuno. I originally did 5 thru pw and it was well under$500. I did contact him for the matching 4 iron and he got it fast as well.

As a former Zing player, I can tell you that the 800 pros just give a great consistent ball flight. Knocked my handicap from a 11 to 4.8.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm new here, found the site while doing research on new irons. I've been playing my Ping Zing 2's for over 10 years now and it's really time to upgrade. They were given to me when i was 13 and were my second set of golf clubs. I'm a 10 handicap, and a little inconsistent with my irons lately. They used to be the best part of my game.

I've hit the G15's and I'm not a huge fan of the wide sole.
So far I've narrowed my search down to the W/S Di11's, Nike pro cavity, and TM burner 2.0's or r9s. I'd like to keep my budget under $400. Should I be looking at clubs with lower GI? And does anyone have any clubs to add or feedback on those irons? I'm leaning towards the Di11's but I'm not crazy about the strong lofts because I want to keep my current wedges and my iron game is already long.

I'll only speak to the clubs I've swung. The 2.0's are long. Really long, and part of that is due to strong lofts and a little longer iron shaft. It is actually a wider soled club (at least compared to what I'm used to), but the black finish hides the wide sole pretty well.

I spent a long time trying out the R9 irons and R9 TP. The R9 TP suited my eye better, but neither one felt that great to hit. In my opinion, there are plenty of better irons than the R9s that are more forgiving with a similar sole and clubhead size. Just seemed like the sweet spot was a little 'dead faced' and very small. I really figured they'd be more forgiving than the muscle cavity irons I currently play.

EDIT: I thought I'd throw in this edit. I don't know about this year, but at least early last year, Dustin Johnson was still gaming the R9 TPs, despite the new line of TP irons from Taylormade. So while I may not like the R9s, clearly Dustin Johnson like the R9 TPs.

~Rock

Last edited:
I think for the price, I may just buy the di11s on a whim...

You really can only guess until you hit with a club. Highly recommend a professional fitting.

I just upgraded after 30 years with a set of Palmer Axions that I still liked. All my assumptions proved wrong. The set I bought I consistently hit further and more importantly, with the tightest dispersion of all the others. Shaft selection was the biggest influence by far.

So...go get a real fitting then shop all options including eBay. My local stores have some great deals on Diablo Edge, Cobra S3, etc... But it's just a guess until you know what works best.

Good luck.

Back