Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Just purchesed Frank's 48, 52, and 56. My PW is 45*. Should I leave these, bend them up 1* or 2*? Obviously I am going to play them first and see how the angles are stock!

jj, I'd definitely see how they gap (assuming you are taking full swings with them) before doing any bending. I'm guessing they'll blend in pretty well as they are right now.

jj, I'd definitely see how they gap (assuming you are taking full swings with them) before doing any bending. I'm guessing they'll blend in pretty well as they are right now.

thanks hawk I will be doing this first. My only concern is I am so used to my 60 right now i might not feel as comfortable only having a 56. Can't wait to hack on these babies. Just pitch, chip, and flop baby!

I used to carry a 60°, then I dropped it for a 58°. Now I down to 57°, which is really close to what you have. I can truly say that I've never said, "Dang. If I only had a 60° right now."

Obviously, everybody's different, but I bet you end up making the transition pretty easily.

Yeah I'm sure it will be like that for me too. Just have to see what feels best

Finally got all my 588 wedges! :) 50, 54, 58, 2 dots.

ClevelandBag011.jpg

That's a sweet bag!

Tapped that...

I tried this yesterday and really didn't see anything special about them. I reallllly like my CG15s and it seems like nothing I try I like more than them. I'm wondering if its just cause I'm more used to them. For example when I was swinging the atvs I kept chunking everything and just didn't feel good swinging them. I feel like the difference in swing weight messes me up.

Another solid round with these yesterday.

learning to accept my open swing with the wedges and im aiming slight left of target more, and now instead of being off to right of green, im hitting them way more often

Love my 54* the most, seems to have been money as of late

Still not in love with my 50*, a close to full swing has been toxic and there just hasnt been a need for partial swings with it, otherwise Id just use the 54*

Can you describe what about the CG15s you like more than the 588s? Similar designs, similar leading edge and similar weighting would make me believe that most that like one, like the other.

It may just be that I am more comfortable with the CG15s. I think the 588s may be a tad softer but I also dug into the grass a little too easily with the 588s. Again, I may just not be used to how they swing.

Another solid round with these yesterday.

learning to accept my open swing with the wedges and im aiming slight left of target more, and now instead of being off to right of green, im hitting them way more often

Love my 54* the most, seems to have been money as of late

Still not in love with my 50*, a close to full swing has been toxic and there just hasnt been a need for partial swings with it, otherwise Id just use the 54*
That's funny Mike... I have had more success with the 50 than the 54 so far, but only have 2 rounds on them. :)

That's funny Mike... I have had more success with the 50 than the 54 so far, but only have 2 rounds on them. :)

Interesting...i have about 20 rounds under my belt with the 588's and I am now more comfortable with the 54 then i have ever been with any club that i have owned! I wish I could say the same for the 50 and 58...i do really like them both, but I just havent had the same success as with the 54.

I think part of the problem was that since i became so comfortable with the 54 so quickly, I have ended up pulling that one out of the bag a little bit more than the other two, further accelerating my comfort with it.

Im definitely going to put in a little more work with the 50, but if it doesnt pan out, i think there is an i20 U-wedge in my future.

Interesting...i have about 20 rounds under my belt with the 588's and I am now more comfortable with the 54 then i have ever been with any club that i have owned! I wish I could say the same for the 50 and 58...i do really like them both, but I just havent had the same success as with the 54.

I think part of the problem was that since i became so comfortable with the 54 so quickly, I have ended up pulling that one out of the bag a little bit more than the other two, further accelerating my comfort with it.

Im definitely going to put in a little more work with the 50, but if it doesnt pan out, i think there is an i20 U-wedge in my future.
What yardages are your lofts for? I am 115-120 with the 50, 100-105 with the 54, and 75-85 with the 58. It is amazing how the same club at different lofts can be so hot and cold. What is your main miss?

yeah not sure why, struggling with ball contact in general and the 50 is probably just a victim of that

What yardages are your lofts for? I am 115-120 with the 50, 100-105 with the 54, and 75-85 with the 58. It is amazing how the same club at different lofts can be so hot and cold. What is your main miss?

Those are pretty much my exact yardages. Its weird, I feel like I hit the 54 flush more often than not, but when I pick up the 50 I find I start missing out towards the toe.

These are in no way a 'bad miss', no shanking, no big pulls....just out off the toe and a little short of my target. Actually, if you remember the par 3 15th at Chambers when we played together, I hit the 50 there...slightly out off the toe, right at the flag but right in the bunker just short of the green.

I am also completely comfortable playing half and 3/4 shots with the 54 but when doing so with the 50, the ball always works right to left...no straight pitches with that club.

Anyway, its not all bad, I stuck an approach from the first cut to 4ft from 119yrds with the 50* on Sunday enroute to a back-9 36 at jefferson.

Those are pretty much my exact yardages. Its weird, I feel like I hit the 54 flush more often than not, but when I pick up the 50 I find I start missing out towards the toe.

These are in no way a 'bad miss', no shanking, no big pulls....just out off the toe and a little short of my target. Actually, if you remember the par 3 15th at Chambers when we played together, I hit the 50 there...slightly out off the toe, right at the flag but right in the bunker just short of the green.

I am also completely comfortable playing half and 3/4 shots with the 54 but when doing so with the 50, the ball always works right to left...no straight pitches with that club.

Anyway, its not all bad, I stuck an approach from the first cut to 4ft from 119yrds with the 50* on Sunday enroute to a back-9 36 at jefferson.

Got it. Makes sense to me. I seem to scoop the 54 (basically end up a few yards short) in my 2 rounds with it. When i hit the ball with a descending blow with the 54 it is beautiful. I need a little range time with them. I have just played since they have been here. So far, I really think they are an upgrade looks wise from my TM Z wedges, but my old TM Z 50 was my go to club and I was nails with it from 110-125, so they have alot to live up to performance wise.

I'm really starting to fall in love with my 56 degree. It has saved me a lot of strokes over the last two weeks. Through practice and confidence from seeing results, I now actually don't mind missing greens as I've been able to get up-and-down a lot lately. Reminds me why I loved my old 588s back when I was good. And the 50 degree is great on full shots and those partial 50-65 yard shots.

I also hit the 58* with a ProV1 from greenside rough for the first time...OH MY

Stopped on a dime...I doa hard forward hand press so I dont have a real high shot even with a 58* so I play the roll

this caught me by surprise....pleasantly

Keep it coming boys there has been some great talk in here today

I also hit the 58* with a ProV1 from greenside rough for the first time...OH MY

Stopped on a dime...I doa hard forward hand press so I dont have a real high shot even with a 58* so I play the roll

this caught me by surprise....pleasantly
On Sunday I had a difficult 22 yard chip from the fairway to a front pin on a short par 4 (327 yards). I had 2 options, less loft bump and run, or compress it with my 58 with spin and 1 hop stop it. Chose the 58 and hit it great. Bounced once on the green just in front of the pin and hopped and stopped dead 5 feet past the cup. Made the birdie putt. The spin off of these with the Z Star ball is solid!

On Sunday I had a difficult 22 yard chip from the fairway to a front pin on a short par 4 (327 yards). I had 2 options, less loft bump and run, or compress it with my 58 with spin and 1 hop stop it. Chose the 58 and hit it great. Bounced once on the green just in front of the pin and hopped and stopped dead 5 feet past the cup. Made the birdie putt. The spin off of these with the Z Star ball is solid!

I agree, no lack of spipn with these wedges. Before these I played Callaway JAWS wedges that are known to be the "spinniest" wedges around. Many people don't like them because they spin too much and chew up balls. Anyway, I play the hinge and hold chipping method and I haven't seen a decrease at all in my spin, 1 very small hop and stop. Full shots are great too. I have never been a player who gets balls to spin back on the green and with these I get the spin I am used to, 1 small hop and stop. BTW, I have been playing the Z-Star for the past few roiunds and it performs as well as anything I have ever played and the durability is unmatched.

hmm, I might have to try the Srixon balls out with these wedges.

Since ive been chipping decent, Ive been using last year's Penta's for the most part. Very little roll out and stick very well. Im usually not close enough to see what kind of sping im getting with these, I tend to always be pin high on the right of the green just chipping up with a wedge. But with summer here and these greens quick as can be already, I definitely need something with some stopping power since I tend to de-loft the club at address

hmm, I might have to try the Srixon balls out with these wedges.

Since ive been chipping decent, Ive been using last year's Penta's for the most part. Very little roll out and stick very well. Im usually not close enough to see what kind of sping im getting with these, I tend to always be pin high on the right of the green just chipping up with a wedge. But with summer here and these greens quick as can be already, I definitely need something with some stopping power since I tend to de-loft the club at address
The Penta and Z Star to me are pretty similar and I really like both. I would say that the Z Star cover is more durable, and spin is pretty similar. Both are very good balls for consistent spin with these wedges.

The Penta and Z Star to me are pretty similar and I really like both. I would say that the Z Star cover is more durable, and spin is pretty similar. Both are very good balls for consistent spin with these wedges.

off topic

You need to delete some PM's, it wont let me send you one cause you have too many saved

Back