Ping I20 Hybrid.... WOW!!!

I know the shaft didn't fit you properly, nor are they really the same sort of hybrid, but how would you compare it to the Mashie Hawk?

Just based on your short experience.

They are very different, but I hit both well, as odd as that may sound. First off, I think the shaft I was swinging was 90 grams compared to around 60 in the Mashie. The head on the i20 is a little smaller and less offset, but it's nothing crazy. For me, the ball flight was lower with the i20 but both seemed pretty close when it came to dispersion . I think it's hard to beat the rail design on the Mashie for getting out of rough and other crazy places I happen to be.

Thanks Hawk, knew they were completely different, but that's why i wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

I'll be honest and say it's the first thing from PING that really wowed me from the first swing. I always want to like their gear, but it just never ends up working for me.

I'll be honest and say it's the first thing from PING that really wowed me from the first swing. I always want to like their gear, but it just never ends up working for me.

haha I'm the opposite. I never really looked at their stuff, then this season I started to and now everything I try has worked. It's probably a good thing the bank account limits me or else I would limit it.

Interesting dialogue there fellas. I finally saw a lefty version of this hybrid locally. It was a 17*. That in itself intrigues the crap out of me. It does look great, but how does the sole wear?

I bet it sounds wicked at impact.

I've actually been trying to remember the sound at impact. For some reason I want to say it's pretty muted or not that metallic sound you see at times. Jrod can probably talk about the sole wear, but there was nothing on his that stood out to me. He hits it as far as I hit my driver :\

Interesting dialogue there fellas. I finally saw a lefty version of this hybrid locally. It was a 17*. That in itself intrigues the crap out of me. It does look great, but how does the sole wear?

I bet it sounds wicked at impact.

it does sound awesome at impact i have the 17* and LOVE it. ill try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and show the wear on it. i've had mine for quite a while now. best purchase i made all year. well besides putters of course.

It wasn't until finding and reading this thread that I am now really wondering how I got what I got in my i20 23* hybrid. Everyone is mentioning the stock TFC 707 or PX shafts. When I purchased my i20 irons I also demo'd a 23* i20 hybrid. I loved the feel and hit it quite well. I decided to add it along with the new set of irons. My fitting came out with CFS Stiff for the irons, KBS Tour S for the wedges, and TFC 169H Stiff for the hybrid. I'm not up on all the differences in the shafts but what are the differences between the TFC 707 and TFC 169H Stiff? I'm not sure if I should be happy or unhappy... (though to be honest I still hit this club pretty well on my first attempts last weekend).

loving this club, especially off the deck

seems like im hitting far too many toe shots with it though off of the tee, leading to big "draws", something Im not used to and probably an easy fix im totally overlooking

It wasn't until finding and reading this thread that I am now really wondering how I got what I got in my i20 23* hybrid. Everyone is mentioning the stock TFC 707 or PX shafts. When I purchased my i20 irons I also demo'd a 23* i20 hybrid. I loved the feel and hit it quite well. I decided to add it along with the new set of irons. My fitting came out with CFS Stiff for the irons, KBS Tour S for the wedges, and TFC 169H Stiff for the hybrid. I'm not up on all the differences in the shafts but what are the differences between the TFC 707 and TFC 169H Stiff? I'm not sure if I should be happy or unhappy... (though to be honest I still hit this club pretty well on my first attempts last weekend).
So I've done some checking and it appears that the TFC 169H is the standard shaft for the G20 hybrids (not the i20 hybrids). According to the PING specs the differences in the two shafts (both in stiff) is the T707 has less torque (2.6* vs 3.8*) and is slightly heavier (85g vs 77g). Now, I still don't know what that translates to in the real world:confused2:. I still don't know why I got this shaft because as far as I know when I hit the club in the store it was a stock shaft.

Can anyone chime in on the pros/cons of the TFC707 vs TFC169H in the i20 hybrid?

I did some looking for you, but couldn't find much info. I guess my question would be this - if you were fit for it and you hit it well, does it matter?

I did some looking for you, but couldn't find much info. I guess my question would be this - if you were fit for it and you hit it well, does it matter?

No.....

Sorry, just wanted to keep it simple.

That was my thought pretty much too. But then I start thinking of the unknown. Like, what if I hit the other combo even better? LOL. I probably won't bother pursuing it, but I was curious what the difference in the shafts would mean to my game, that's all. Thanks for looking into it!

Not a problem!

I did a little more looking and here's what I can tell you.

The 707 is a lower launching, heavier shaft.

The 169 is lighter, and softer in the tip, so it should be higher launching.

My guess is that it provided you a slightly higher ball flight, which may have maximized your distance.

So I've done some checking and it appears that the TFC 169H is the standard shaft for the G20 hybrids (not the i20 hybrids). According to the PING specs the differences in the two shafts (both in stiff) is the T707 has less torque (2.6* vs 3.8*) and is slightly heavier (85g vs 77g). Now, I still don't know what that translates to in the real world:confused2:. I still don't know why I got this shaft because as far as I know when I hit the club in the store it was a stock shaft.

Can anyone chime in on the pros/cons of the TFC707 vs TFC169H in the i20 hybrid?

I don't believe the 169 is available in the hybrid. It's either the TFC707 of the PX Black. The black is gonna be lighter and higher launching where the 707 is heavy and lower launching.

I'm thinking it was a custom order after a fitting, J. It normally goes in the G20.

These things are expensive. Like $150 used.

TC the sole wear so far is great but fortunately I havent had to use it out of tje sand or rocks yet. The face is typical black finish and crappy range balls put marks in it.

I'm thinking it was a custom order after a fitting, J. It normally goes in the G20.

These things are expensive. Like $150 used.

no kidding, I snagged one for $139 including shipping and couldnt pay for it fast enough

That's crazy talk. I like it, but that puts it out of my league.

That's crazy talk. I like it, but that puts it out of my league.

whats pathetic is that I havent hit it nearly as good as I did in the sim yet LOL

and I really need to work on getting the heavier club head through the ball, I feel like sometimes I quit on it and the ball shoots right when I do

I think that's why Jrod likes it. He can fade the thing, which doesn't happen much for him with hybrids. My flight on the range was a mid flight draw, but I think less flex would have brought it up a bit.

I think that's why Jrod likes it. He can fade the thing, which doesn't happen much for him with hybrids. My flight on the range was a mid flight draw, but I think less flex would have brought it up a bit.

fade is ok, straight shank right is another lol

actually when Im nto doing that, my flight seems to be a low penetrating draw/hook and I end up with almost no distance loss, still in the experimenting phase with ball position, etc, just gotta work on temp and finishing through the swing

I think hybrid is the only club I've never shanked lol. I'd probably just head home at that point lol.

I think hybrid is the only club I've never shanked lol. I'd probably just head home at that point lol.

a few problems with it

1. It was after a birdie
2. It was on a par 3
3. It was my new "lucky" ProV1
and finally it was the only double I had out of that 18 holes

Back