Shirt under polo?

I have to have an under shirt, even regular old t-shirts I wear some good ole fruit of the loom underneath. I know it defeats the purpose of the newer polos, but it creeps me out to not have an under shirt. I have never tried the under armor, nike combat, etc type stuff. Something I need to look into

I only wear the under armour type shirts under my golf polo's, and that is when it is too cold for just the polo. What are people's feelings on wearing the long sleeve compression shirt under the polo? I know some people that think it is ridiculous but I love it when it is spring and fall.

Hanes tagless tees underneath for this guy.

Sometimes I put on a performance fabric under shirt on. Depends on the weather, how the shirt fits me, etc.

I wouldn't even consider it, why make it hotter on yourself.

I'm in the camp that HAS TO have a base layer of some kind. For non-golfing attire, it's just a white (or whatever color) tee. However, I agree that wearing a cotton tee defeats the purpose of a dri-fit shirt, so i picked up a few tech plain white shirts. I would feel super uncomfortable without some sort of base layer.

Nope....sorry...I sweat standing still in the shade....I couldn't take an extra shirt underneath.

(Nike Pro-combat dri fit) This. Except mine have short sleeves. I'm one that HAS to have something on underneath it, heck I even do that with my t-shirts, always have.

Me too.

I wear long sleeved UA heat gear shirts under my polo. They keep the sun off my arms and prevent my shirt from getting soaked.

Everyone asks if I'm hot but I never am. The shirts might even keep me cooler by keeping the sun off.

I wear long sleeved UA heat gear shirts under my polo. They keep the sun off my arms and prevent my shirt from getting soaked.

Everyone asks if I'm hot but I never am. The shirts might even keep me cooler by keeping the sun off.

The Heat Gear shirts are very cool.

It's strange to me to see so many people wearing cotton shirts underneath these moisture wicking shirts. I never wore undershirts other than to keep me warm in the winter, ever.

I do sometimes while golfing. There's nothing in particular that drives my decision to wear them or not, I think it's just habit.

I would never and have never worn an under shirt while wearing a polo.

Not for me, Most modern golf shirts are made to be against your skin to stay cool. Mabye try some different brands / materials to find one that your more cofortable with?

I have to wear some sort of tighter, base layer. If I just have the top polo I can get pretty chafed, especially when carrying my own bag.

I see people wear cotton t's under their polo and just can't understand how they get by like that. It get's way to hot out there for me to pull that off this time of year.

I've always been one to wear a t-shirt under my polo on the course. Whenever I put one on without a shirt under it I just go put one on five minutes after getting dressed because it doesn't feel right. What are your thoughts on this? Do you wear a shirt under your polo on the course?

I was always like this and still am... except for golf shirts.

I wear undershirts under all my work clothes (shirt and tie) and so I was really used to it.
Once I started buying "nicer" performance fabric for my golf shirts, I decided (like TC mentioned) that the fabric is designed to NOT have anything underneath it. Trying to wear a performance shirt with a cotton undershirt would really effect temp control, and prevent the tech fabric from performing as designed.

I have never worn anything under any kind of polo shirt. Especially in the summer heat here in TN. I guess I'm kinda programmed that white t-shirts are for making a white dress shirt less "see-thru" and colored t-shirts and polos are considered casual and exclusive in their own right. (ie: not worn together) I have a hard enough time feeling unencumbered when just a polo begins sticking to me in hot sweaty weather much less a 2nd shirt. I am much less comfortable and loose in colder weather when I am forced to layer...to me, it just doesnt feel right with a short sleeve shirt.

Always wear my Skins base layer unless it's unusually hot....which in Manchester, it rarely is

I live in a desert and for work it's always a polo shirt over a white tshirt and dockers no matter what the weather is like (doesn't matter as I work indoors). For golfing I bought some polos with stay dry/cool material and that I wear with nothing else underneath. When a breeze does come by it really cools your body. It was an adjustment for me to wear nothing underneath but it's well worth it.

I can completely identify with the weird feeling when you don't have on an undershirt. I do wear one under my polos for work. But I also wear jeans and my shirts untucked at work. Since I'm in air conditioning, fabric performance is not an issue.

On the course where sweat is an issue and the material needs to do its job, no undershirt. Cotton completely counteracts the wicking factor.

Same here... I wear a cotton t-shirt under my polo at work, but never on the course, even if it isn't real warm and sweating was a concern. For me, the less clothes on the better as I don't want to feel restricted when swinging a club!

Last edited:
I'll say the same thing I said to my ex-gf and my friends, and I mean to harm or offense by it..."I don't wear an undershirt because I am not 8 years old anymore".

I hate the feeling, and hate the look. Just my opinion, I am sure they vary widely across the board.

No I don't. I figure I would die during the summer. It's called performance material for a reason, no way I'd wear a shirt underneath it.

Exactly. Why pay all that money for a performance material shirt and then put a cotton one under it. That does not make sense to me.

Never. On the course or not.....

I agree 100% with my fashion brother.

Exactly. Why pay all that money for a performance material shirt and then put a cotton one under it. That does not make sense to me.

I also agree with this. All of the shirts out there now are made of the performance material, why wear something underneath that when the golf shirt is going to wick away the sweat in the first place?

No undershirt on the course. Gets too hot and also bunches up. I do wear one to work and other places, though.

Back